A sequel to Marballs, now with verticality, orbs and jump pads!
Roll around with the arrow keys, jump with Z and use X to pause and restart.
Use the pause menu (ESC or enter) to return to the main menu.
To swap to 45° controls choose "swap controls" in the pause menu.
Create and share your own levels using the custom cart!
Top shelf, man, top shelf. Did you do the music too?
I haven't inspected any code yet but there are a ton of things I'd love to learn from this cart...or have snippeted out, even - like the intro "drawing" of the title. Is that some magic or just drawing lines from coordinate to coordinate?
And now I really need to find my old NES Max controller :)
I want to test the level editor, but I cannot run the custom cartridge with pico8 0.1.11 nor 0.1.12c. Loading works (2683 chars) but on RUN:
Syntax error line 11 (tab 0) creator_name = ??? unexpected symbol near `?`
Also, I had to download it and put it in my pico8/carts folder, as it was not present on the BBS like the actual game.
@Blessmyday I saved the png of the cartridge at the bottom with "custom" written on it (then got the issues mentioned in my previous post).
But I've just realized I may have to fill the "???" in the creator_name, that's all!
UPDATE: ok, so to actually make it work:
- Create a copy of the png cart in case you want to start anew
- Open the custom png cart with pico8 (drag and drop to PICO-8 if your OS support it, else run "pico8 marballs_2_custom.p8.png" (not "pico8 -run" the first time, it would fail on the "???" mentioned above)
- In the source code editor, read the comments. In particular, you need to set your author and custom cartridge name, as well as fill some level data (replace the "???").
- Edit the cartridge data following the instructions
- Save and run!
Man I had a ton of fun with this. My first playthrough was pretty fun, but speedrunning is where it's at.
Here's a list of my best times (good luck beating them):
- Simple - 4.03
- Climb - 6.93
- Orbs - 3.66
- Tetrominoes - 6.80
- Eight - 7.10
- Boost - 3.20
- Trampoline - 5.53
- Snake - 8.63
- Example (from the custom cart) - 2.00
[Please log in to post a comment]