Follow
choo-t
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #facegen-1 | 2022-12-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

FaceGen

A small experiment on creating a simple faces generator made after stumbling on slynyrd's awesome pixel art tutorial.

How to

⬆️⬇️ to chose a feature to change.
⬅️➡️ to change feature value.
🅾️ to randomize all values.
❎ to switch between screen-saver and edit mode.

Changelog:

2022-12-06:

• added skin color setting
P#121919 2022-12-06 15:20 ( Edited 2022-12-06 21:37)

Cart #x_ray-0 | 2022-11-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple example of an x-ray effect using bitplane masking.

Using bitplane have the advantage of having both values (skins and skeleton) in a single sprite, but you're quite limited in the number of available colors.

How it work :

There only one sprite in the sprite sheet, but as you can see, the palette have redundancy.

To be concise, by removing the first bitplane, we're essentially shifting all odd numbered colors to the even color right before them, so color 1 become color 0, color 3 become color 2 and so on.

P#120376 2022-11-09 12:07 ( Edited 2022-11-09 13:41)

Cart #sudoku_solver-1 | 2022-11-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A quick and dirty Sudoku solver, may or may not work.

Not sure if there any use-case for such a tool on PICO-8, but here it is.

⚠️ Looking a the source code may or may not induce permanent blindness ⚠️

Controls :

⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ : move the cursor.
❎ : select a cell/value.
[1️-9️] : fill cell with the corresponding digit if possible.
Pause : access menu.

changelog

2022-11-06:

• added a solve cell option.
P#120113 2022-11-04 14:21 ( Edited 2022-11-06 21:39)

Cart #scraps_logic-9 | 2022-12-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Scraps Logic

Use logic circuits to resolve open-ended puzzle in a post-capitalist society.

How to play :

⬆️⬇️⬅️➡️ or mouse to move the cursor.
❎ or left click to grab or drop a module or a cable:

❎ or left click on a socket to plug or unplug a cable :

🅾️ or right click to remove the module or cable currently held :

You can access the tutorial at anytime during a puzzle using the pause menu.

Truth Table and Cheat Sheet :

AND : Output 1 if both inputs are 1.
OR : Output 1 if any input is 1.
XOR : Output 1 if both inputs are different.
SIGN SPLT : Split the signal in two.
NOT : Invert the signal.
MUX : if S is 0, output A, else output B.
DMUX: if S is 0, Output A to Y, else, output A to Z.

Postmortem :

After making a code snippet for hanging cables using Bézier curve, I wanted to make a game around it and started to draw a mockup on The Gimp to see it how it would fit on the PICO-8 :

and started implementing a crude prototype :

and slowly modeled it to look like the mockup :

I wanted to tie the puzzles together with a small story, using a short introductive text for each one of them, with the whole text contained in a single screen (± 320 chars).
In retrospect, this self-imposed limitation was too constraining, making really hard to fit both the puzzle explanation and the narrative justification inside such a small space.

It's also the first project where I hit the token limit, and it was mostly due to lack of planning and the code evolving into a weird mess, but it's a valuable lesson for next time.

Wanted to keep the game simple, I didn't add flip-flop, but I will add them if I ever do a sequel, they open-up so much possibility for interesting puzzle that I kinda regret not adding them here.

Thanks to A Mysterious Playtester, Eeooty, Heracleum, Merwok, Minerobber, Ohhcurtains, SoundsDotZip (and his friend, "A Windows Boi"), SquidLight and Thomas Fabretti for their time and valuable feedbacks during playtesting.

changelog

2022-12-17:

• fixed lvl 6 inputs values

2022-11-24:

• updated best scores for lvl 6 and 9

2022-11-02:

• added [?] button to access in-game truth tables
  • updated best score entry for lvl 7
  • Mouse support now using PICO-8 own button emulation

2022-10-29:

• prevented any circuit-board input to be empty due to randomness
  • switched lore to multi-line strings (more readable source code)
  • added a finial to credits' flag
  • added error in case player try to plug an input to an input or and output to an output

2022-10-28:

• added Konami code support
  • saved tokens on welcome screen
  • added average design score values
  • updated best design score values

2022-10-27:

• correction to best design values

2022-10-27:

• gold & release
P#119266 2022-10-27 13:19 ( Edited 2022-12-17 12:20)

Cart #matrix_tweet-3 | 2022-09-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Matrix code rain, fit in 𝟸̶𝟺̶𝟼̶ 161 characters.

changelog

2022-09-24 : Thanks to @shy help and insight on P8SCII Control Codes, managed to squeeze it in 161 characters (174 for tweeter).

P#117869 2022-09-23 23:02 ( Edited 2022-09-24 09:43)

Cart #matrix-0 | 2022-09-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just a simple Matrix Code Rain.

P#117867 2022-09-23 21:16 ( Edited 2022-09-23 22:54)

Cart #cables-3 | 2022-09-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Simple and fast faking of cables hanging between two points (made for another project).
Not physic base, it use Bézier curves to fake a lot of cables at once (±320 cables at 10 steps, @30fps)

• Right and left click to move last cable's start/end point.
  • ❎ to add a cable
  • 🅾️ to remove a cable
  • ➡️ to increase number of steps
  • ⬅️ to decrease number of steps
  • ⬇️ or wheel-down to increase the dangling of the cables
  • ⬆️ or wheel-up to decrease the dangling of the cables
  • pause menu to enable/disable debug view (show steps and controls points)

changelog

2022-09-24

• fixed buttons UI typo

2022-09-22

• added dangling control
  • tweaked controls
P#117794 2022-09-22 10:39 ( Edited 2022-09-24 18:29)

Cart #picoi_koi-1 | 2022-09-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Picoi-Koi

Picoi-Koi is a PICO-8 implementation of koi-koi, a game played with hanafuda cards.

Gameplay

❎ to select/confirm
🅾️ to display all captured cards

Knowledge of koi-koi is obviously highly recommended to enjoy the game, but here a quick rundown of the rules :

Rules

An hanaduda deck contains 48 cards, 4 cards for each month :

Each round, you try to capture card by matching a card from your hand with a card from the table with the corresponding month, then you reveal the top card of the deck and try to match it in the same way.

If you play a card without a match on the table, it will be discarded on the table.

The goal of the game is to gain points by forming yaku, and either ending the round to score your points (calling shōbu), or gamble your unscored points to to double them (calling koi-koi).

Yaku

Gokō 五光 (10pts)

All five hikari cards.

Shikō 四光 (8pts)

Four hikari cards without Ono no Michikaze.

Ame-Shikō 雨四光 (7pts)

Four hikari cards including Ono no Michikaze.

Sankō 三光 (5pts)

Any 3 hikari cards excluding Ono no Michikaze.

Hanami de Ippai 花見で一杯 (5pts)

The sakura ni maku card and the sake cup card. Cumulative with Tsukimi de Ippai

Tsukimi de Ippai 月見で一杯 (5pts)

The full moon card and the sake cup card. Cumulative with Hanami de Ippai

Inoshikachō 猪鹿蝶 (5pts + 𝐍pts)

The deer, boar and butterfly tane cards, give an additional point for every additional tane card.

Akatan 赤短 (5pts + 𝐍pts)

All three poetry tanzaku cards, give an additional point for every additional tanzaku card.

Aotan 青短 (5pts + 𝐍pts)

All three blue tanzaku cards, give an additional point for every additional tanzaku card.

Akatan, Aotan no Chōfuku 赤短・青短の重複 (10pts + 𝐍pts)

All three poetry tanzaku cards, and all three blue tanzaku, give an additional point for every additional tanzaku card.

Tanzaku 短冊 (1pt + 𝐍pts)

Any five tanzaku cards, give an additional point for every additional tanzaku card.

Tane タネ (1pt + 𝐍pts)

Any five tane cards, give an additional point for every additional tane card.

Kasu カス (1pt + 𝐍pts)

Any ten of the twenty-four kasu cards, give an additional point for every additional kasu card.

House Rules

As always with koi-koi, there plenty of variation of the rules, here the ones used in this version :

• The player always start the game as the oya 親 (first-player).
  • Lucky hands : teshi 手四 have been banned, kuttsuki くっつき have no effect.
  • Scoring 7 or more points in a single round double them.
  • Koi-Koi count toward both player, meaning that when scoring, the points will be multiplied by 1 plus the number of time koi-koi was called. i.g doubled if koi-koi was called once, tripled if it was called twice and so on.
  • Sake cup count both toward Tane and Kasu.

Changelog

2022-09-19 :

• enlarged card selector for better readability.
  • added multiple sounds (yaku prompt, win, lose).
  • added intro splash screen.
P#117608 2022-09-18 12:44 ( Edited 2022-09-19 20:14)

Cart #carlae-3 | 2022-09-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Carlae is a itsy-bitsy snake in 𝟹̶𝟽̶𝟼̶ 358 characters, named after the cute tetracheilostoma carlae, but tetracheilostoma was kind of a mouthful.

changelog

2022-09-24

• shaved 18 characters
P#116672 2022-08-31 19:11 ( Edited 2022-09-24 19:49)

Cart #hack_match-0 | 2022-08-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

An HACK*MATCH demake

HACK*MATCH is a series of puzzle games by Zachtronics in the vein of the Magical Drop series of arcade games.
Its first appearance was as a mini-game in EXAPUNKS, then it came back as a standalone game on the NES and its last appearance was in Last Call BBS as a emulated arcade game.

The arcade version from Last Call BBS was quite addictive and I wanted to make a demake to play it on-the-go.

How to play :

🅾️ to grab or throw a block.
❎ to swap the last two blocks of a column.

Match 4 or more blocks of the same color to destroy them, the more you match, the more you score !
Match 2 or more bombs to destroy all the blocks of their color, but blocks destroyed this way won't score you anything.

Scoring

A combo will always score at least 400pts (4 blocks) then, each block beyond this will scores 50pts more than the previous one, so this will really add-up quickly, but look-out, the bigger your score, the faster the game become.

Boss-rush

Ready for some challenge ? The boss-rush mode is for you, fight 4 bosses with their own attack pattern.
Every blocks matched past the first four will damage the boss. Matched blocks will also unlock the blocks locked by the boss' attack.

Differences

I tweaked the game to my liking, so it’s much faster (movements are instantaneous), and a little shorter (for on-the-go gameplay).
Sadly, I have no clue about music theory or anything regarding sound making, so this version is quite lacking in that regard.

More

Enjoyed the game ? Check out the (much better) Last Call BBS’s version featuring much better graphics and a awesome soundtrack.

P#116416 2022-08-28 20:53

Cart #dungeons_and_diagrams-5 | 2022-11-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A Dungeons & Diagrams demake.

Dungeons & Diagrams started as a pen & paper puzzle designed by Zach Barth, followed by a video game version in Last Call BBS.

It’s a nonogram/picross-like game where you fill a dungeon map according to the numbered clues and the monsters and chests’ positions.
[29x11]
[12x9]

I really liked the game and wanted to play it on-the-go so I made a PICO-8 version.
All the puzzles in this version were generated by ShadowCluster from the Zachtronics unofficial Discord.

If you’re unfamiliar with the game, there a small tutorial to explain the rules.

As I have no clue about music theory I thought it will be better to spare your ears, but maybe I will add some melodies later.

How to play :

🅾️ to place a gem, it’s helpful to mark squares you know are empty.

❎ to place a wall, place all the walls in their correct locations to finish the puzzle.

load a new puzzle anytime by using the pause menu.

Levels are ordered in an ascending (somewhat subjective) difficulty order.

If you enjoy the game, you will enjoy the (much better) Last Call BBS’s version featuring thousands of puzzles, better graphics and a awesome soundtrack by Matthew S Burns

changelog :

2022-11-15:

• added music.

2022-08-31 :

• rules clarifications regarding chests.

2022-08-29 :

• small fix for PICO-8 0.2.5 compatibility (I was using sub() with non-numeric 3rd parameter, which the behavior was changed in the update)

2022-08-27 :

• added mouse support during puzzle solving.
  • level selection now display a '★' next to already solved puzzles.
P#116022 2022-08-19 15:39 ( Edited 2022-11-14 23:07)

Disconnecting then reconnecting a controller twice will break the controller support.

On handled devices it mean that PICO-8 will effectively lock the device if you put it it sleep mode twice in the same session.

I reproduced this behavior successfully on the windows, linux and raspberry pi versions.

P#84026 2020-11-09 08:29