The classic 16-bit-era action puzzle game returns again -- enhanced and remastered. Pico de Pon brings favorite characters from across the PICO-8 library together for intense block-swapping battle.
Arrow keys, move cursor
X (or M or V) key, swap blocks
Z (or N or C) key, manually raise stack
E/S/D/F keys, move cursor
A (or Shift) key, swap blocks
Q (or Tab) key, manually raise stack
Swap blocks beneath the cursor. Horizontal or vertical runs of three or more matching block types are cleared. Swapping a block over an edge will cause it to fall.
The stack rises over time. The game ends when blocks reach the top of the stack. The rising of the stack is delayed while matched blocks are clearing.
Combos are triggered by clearing more than three blocks at once. Chains are triggered by matches caused by blocks falling due to cleared blocks below.
In SOLO mode, points are scored only from combos and chains. In VS mode, combos and chains send garbage blocks to your opponent’s stack.
Garbage blocks fall on the top of the stack. They can only be cleared by touching matches of other blocks. Garbage clears to standard blocks. Because these blocks stay suspended in air while converting, they provide an opportunity for counter attack by lining up matching blocks beneath to set up chains.
Special attack blocks [!] will send metal garbage even without a combo or chain. Metal garbage behaves like regular garbage but will not clear when touched by clearing regular garbage.
Made in collaboration with @stephan_gfx.
Music and Additional Sounds by @tesselode.
Thanks to the amazing members of the pico8 community who generously donated their inspiring characters to our little game!
From left to right, top to bottom on the character select screen:
- Jelpi by @lexaloffle, creator of pico8 (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=9975)
- Balthazar from "Myrrhs Edge" by @thattomhall, @SquirrelTweets and Toby Hefflin (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=71393)
- Dancer Hero by @TRASEVOL_DOG (https://twitter.com/TRASEVOL_DOG/status/946788526162661376?s=20)
- Spaceman from "Spaceman8" by @ilkkke and @kometbomb (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=28485)
- Ana from "Dank Tombs" by @krajzeg (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=29709)
- Madeline from "Celeste" by @NoelFB and @MattThorson (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2145)
- Rainy from "Rainmaker" by @benjaminsoule and @castpixel (https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2806)
and finally @Liquidream aka Paul Nicholas as himself, sprite by @somepx
Also thanks to the other folks who offered to let us use their characters! If we do an expansion cart we'll be back in touch!
It's ok to say it -- I made that older version too. :)
I've been working on a 4-player version for Genesis/Megadrive but haven't been able to test further with four players due to current world events. As that version's mechanics are a lot more polished, I took the opportunity to port that back to PICO-8.
This is sooo good!
I used to play Pokémon Puzzle Challenge on my Game Boy literally all the time. Also funny that only a few months ago I found an actual cartridge at a Japanese retro gaming store. I loved it so much.
Awesome work and thanks for bringing back memories :D
A 1-4 player version is available (as Doubles de Pon) with the latest release of the quadplay fantasy console.
[Please log in to post a comment]