Z / Left Mouse Click - summon tower
Hold X / Right Mouse Click - sell tower
The game is released on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2152410/WitchCraft_TD/
Steam version has achievements, new enemies, balance changes, small interface updates, music update.
Tileless main image is implemented with this snippet by @spellcaster https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=38884
Do my little eyes spot a Megumin? :D
Loving the game so far, but for some reason I got soft-locked in level 8. After the wave ended and the witch showed up I could not start the wave anymore. Tried to build/sell towers to reset.
The music is catchy get your head bobbing instantly.
(edit: just understood the 100% chance for xy thing)
At the moment I only have one "issue" with the whole game. It'd be nice to be able to chose which towers to merge, if that fits into your vision of the game and the token gods.
The gfx work is spot on, love how enemies bop their heads to the music! The game looks clean and nice and the menu backdrop is absolutely amazing!
Nice work, the overall polish and fancy title screen are quite impressive.
I did notice there's a typo in the thread title, though: WitchRaft rather than WitchCraft.
@Achie72 I did not expect she will be found out so quick :D but yes, a little tribute.
I'll try to reproduce soft-lock, I did not saw it myself for now.
"chose which towers to merge" - oof, I'm afraid I don't have tokens for that and I want to squeeze an in-game tutorial.
Thank you for the review!
@JadeLombax thank you, fixed!
Yep, we are a lover of anime and can recognize famous figures quite quickly, @unikotoast. :)
Lovely Tower Defense game. We don't have enough of them for Pico-8. Gold star work !
A small patch based on feedback:
- Mouse is turned on from the start and can be used in the wave selection menu, the game can be controlled w/o keyboard at all
- Opening the portal requires button press
- Added highlight for the second tower that will be merged
- Added red highlight on the ground where a tower cannot be placed
- Added tutorial texts
@dw817 this is nice to hear, thank you!
@Dvan that's a lot of burgers, really good run!
- added some sound and music
- small balance changes
- small bugs fixed
- small sprite changes
I really enjoyed this. Sprites are lovely. Random towers is not something I'm used to but worked well. Well done.
@SquidLight thank you!
- buffed some towers skills
- increased difficulty
- victory screen update
- tiny sprite changes
- fixed bugs
- early game is easier
- small fixes
- towers try to target lowest hp enemy
Great job on this one. Not a lot of TD games on P8 and this one is certainly one I've spent the most time with. The random towers is the best part, even if it does take some control away from the player - but I like that my thought is put towards dealing with what I'm given rather than a lot of upfront deciding.
Well made game! I believe this is the first TD game in which I'm happy to sell my towers. I'm not happy with random tower build but the sell feature and wave control etc are more than enough to compensate.
After couple tries, I managed to complete this game:
Planting flowers paid off really well! :D
Great game, as usual I like your style!
Only one advice, when you start the wave and choose the "bonus" for it, the witch sprite hide the text, maybe you should find a way to fix that?
And a difficulty option would be neat as well!
So very well done; what a lovely game. Thanks for sharing!
Flawless victory! Love the game, love the music and the graphics in this chill and cute tower defense. Would like to see some enemy info such as boss hp and ability descriptions - like what does Fear do?
More levels, more merging! Y'all are amazing! =)
Thanks for an awesome tower defence game for Pico-8!
Dang it. So close. I mean, I won, but I almost did it without taking any damage. Only the last boss made it through.
Okay, time for the strategy guide:
- Ignore any "100% X for this wave" options.
- Always sell if you can, and try to set yourself up to always be able to sell. That means you might have to hold off on merging for a little bit, just in case she wants to buy one of them. Of course if you already have 2 or 3 of the same level 1 tower (and you've already got the 5 of the same level 1 tower bonus) then go for those legendarys.
- Speaking of which, getting 5 of the same level 1 tower gives you a bonus payout, so until you have 5 of any given tower, don't start merging them. This is also a great way to keep track of the bonuses you've gotten. "Have I already got 5 mushrooms at once? Oh, I must, because there's the level 3 mushroom tower."
- Avoid any penalty that will result in the monsters getting stronger from that time forward. If it's "for this wave only", that's fine. But any "X shield for first enemy" will punish you until the end of the game.
- On the other hand, any penalty that adds an enemy to all future waves (espcieally while also giving you more money per kill) is just more fodder for your cannons.
- Increasing the money you earn per kill > immediate payout. Think about it. If you get 1 extra coin for each kill or 100 coins right now, do you think you'll be killing more than 100 enemies eventually? Excepting the last few levels, that is probably going to be true, so you'll end up making a lot more.
- Should you spend 50 coins to get a bonus that will last the rest of the game? How quickly will you make those 50 coins back again? I say that's always the best penalty.
- Try to build your legendries in the middle. Meaning you don't want to put all your eggs in one square. Try to make a variety in the middle and build them up.
Besides that I have a few things I don't know for sure, like:
Having a few level 1 flowers around will increase the range of towers around it, so I sometimes don't get as many medusas or snakes, but those don't say that they incresase the range of towers around them. Also, how many do they extend, and how far, I don't know. If anyone can offer some insight, let me know.
@eriban How did you get 18 quests? I thought the quests were getting 5 of the same level 1 toweres, but apparently I'm missing something.
@joealarson As I was playing, I realized you also get a quest reward for getting 5 of the same level 2 (or 3, etc) towers on the board at once, if you can resist early upgrading enough...
What an entertaining and polished little game that makes good use of the resolution and palette-- thank you for this!
I like how the random tower selection helped keep the game moving briskly, yet there was still a lot of opportunity to develop skill-- I haven't played many tower defense games and I probably lost 20-30 times over the past few weeks, gradually getting better... so when I finally won it was very satisfying. And then once I won, I felt like I'd figured out a few tricks and played a few more times to get this run I'm quite happy with:
(I still haven't quite figured out what Fear does, or quite what the interaction between fire + water in sequence is)
[Please log in to post a comment]