Follow
D3V?

I make games and stuff.

[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #dreamz-0 | 2023-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

What is this?

This is a short cute lil' game about a tiny cat visiting its dream(z). This game has three quick mini-games to play, from math problems, to a chase sequence. This was made for the GW Game Jam #2, and was made in Pico - 8 under 7 days. The music was made by Gruber Music and the dialogue system used was DTB made by Oli414.

How do I play?

The game is incredibly simple. The controls are:

Left / Right / Up / Down Arrow Keys -> Move

X / V / N -> Do action

Z / C / M -> Hold while moving to move faster. Press to advance through text.

(Also, Itch.io link)

P#139450 2023-12-31 16:24 ( Edited 2023-12-31 16:30)

Cart #flyerfeline-1 | 2023-11-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Credits:

Game: Me
Music: Gruber Music ('space' of pico-8 tunes volume 1)

Extra info: Itch.io Page

P#137666 2023-11-20 07:39

Cart #goingastray-2 | 2023-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

"For souls that have lost their way, like a cat going astray."

Going Astray

Going Astray is a platformer metroidvania-esc game about a cute small cat with the goal of saving souls. It is one of the submissions for the,'A Game By Its Cover 2023' Game Jam, where one famicase cartridge was chosen from ,'My Famicase Exhibition' to be the main inspiration / theme for the creation. The chosen cart for this game is, 'Going Astray' by PhantomZ2.

How To Play

Left Arrow / Right Arrow - Move
Up Arrow - Interact W/ items in game
Down Arrow - Respawn to last checkpoint
C / Z / N - Toggle Running
X / V / M - Jump (While Running)

Behind The Scenes

Let's see what jams are starting... What? The AGBIC Jam already started!?!?!?!??!????

I wanted to join the ABGIC jam last year, but because of the timing and the lack of my knowledge on game design, I skipped it. I really, really liked the idea of picking a cartridge and basing your game (or anything else) around it. There were many cartridges that caught my eye, and there a lot of cat themed carts as well. From all of them, I found the Going Astray Cart the most interesting because of its aesthetic and its vagueness.

Brain-storming what this game was took me 3 - 4 days. Some of my ideas were: A deck-building game about battling ghosts to go to heaven, a puzzler that included one-way movement as in The Witness, and a different puzzler that made the game redirect souls to their checkpoints. At the end, I chose the platformer metroidvania-like game idea because 1: I wanted to make a platformer, and 2: I hadn't made a metroidvania game before.

I usually put aesthetic high up in game jam games, and games in general. Even though the saying, 'Never judge a book (or I guess a game in this case) by its cover.' might be true, but let's be honest, the majority of us are attracted to, well, attractive games. After all, the jam is called, 'A Game By Its Cover Game Jam'. At the end, I think that the aesthetic of this game turned out alright.

The Sprites & Art, and the game map was the hardest to figure out what to do with. Well, you see, Pico-8 (The engine that I used) allows a 128 x 128 space for art, which is not a lot, but manageable. However, because of the constraints of the engine, you can either have a bigger space to add art on, but not be able to used half of the map, or have a smaller space for art, but use the map to its full capability. Since the game is a platformer, and needs to at least have more than 16 levels (specially for adventure games like this one), I had to limit my sprite space. The only problem was that the cat, because of being larger than the average Pico sprite, took a lot of the already small space, and I only had tiny amounts of space to draw the environment. I even thought of procedurally animating the cat's tail, however, I am not advanced enough to do that. Not only that, the code would definitely be more spaghetti than it already is.

Credits

Game - Me: d3v?
Cart Design - PhantomZ2 Link for famicase design
Dialogue System - oli414

Changelogs

• Initial Release

• Changed music (A little)
  • Changed levels to be more friendly.
  • The jump no longer requires you to run.
  • Added warning messages, if you do not have something to progress through the game.
  • Gold Fishes automatically make you jump (out of excitement!!!).
  • When you die, the game freezes a bit to give you time to process what you died to.
P#132358 2023-07-25 03:22 ( Edited 2023-07-29 04:47)

itch io link

Cart #runomonia-1 | 2023-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

What is This?

The cat has eaten a magic pill, giving him Runomonia - The obsession with running. The cat needs to get the MAGIC BUBBLE in order to get rid of Runomonia.
But the bad enemies have been ensuring that the MAGIC BUBBLE will never be taken!
What will he do? Will he get help from you?
Jump and Bop enemies, and if you are courageous enough, you shalt help the poor cat.

How To Play?

You move automatically. Press X to Jump. Kill on enemies by hitting them on their head, or avoid them.

Collect coins and don't die!

Behind The Scenes

This game was made in Pico-8 by D3V? under 1 week. The music was made by Gruber Music, and was the, "Demented Mario" tune from his Pico Tunes Vol.1 pack. The inspiration for the game was Yeah Bunny and its sequel, by Adrian Zarzycki.

P#126150 2023-02-22 14:39 ( Edited 2023-02-23 10:27)

Cart #carlosimulator-0 | 2023-02-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Itch.io Link

What is This?

Carlos' life is depressing. Help him.

How To Play?

Move your cursor.

Play Z/X/C/V/N/M to press.

Pick different options, and don't make Carlos die.

Making of Carlos Simulator

Carlos Simulator is an unofficial sequel to Carlos's Journey 2Bee Stupid, which a link I am not able to find to. It was made by me, D3V?, using Pico-8 in about a week. Don't get offended, you have been warned.

P#125877 2023-02-15 07:08

Cart #catlike-8 | 2023-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Itch.io Link

What is This?

Once upon a time... A young cat lived in a small town of Catsensburg.
The cat was small, but brave... Risking his life to anything he wanted...
The cat folks kept talking about a mysterious, creepy, dark mansion with some magic milk at the top.
The cat would be absolutely flabbergasted upon gaining such information.
However, there was problem...
Savage monsters were lurking and roaming in the mansion in search for blood!
But the treasure at the top was too much for the cat. He would go inside the creepy mansion in search of the magic milk...

How Do I Play?

Making Of Catlike

This roguelike game was made by, me, D3V? in 5-7 days in Pico-8.

The template this game uses is made by Krystman, from the game Porklike from his "How To Make A Roguelike In Pico-8 Series".

Music made by Sebastian, and is NOT mine.

I just wanted to create a smol roguelike game, that's all.

Changelog

Version 1.0:

• Initial Release.

Version 1.1:

• Added Healing Potion.
  • Two Healing Potions are given at the start of the game.

Version 1.2:

• Changed health and attack for majority of the enemies:
    -- Snake now has 4 HP.
    -- Ghoul now does 3 DMG.
    -- Bird now does 2 DMG and has 6 HP.
    -- Bear now does 8 DMG and has 20 HP., making him a massive threat.
    -- Fox now does 4 DMG and has 8 HP., making him more dangerous.
  • Weapon changes:
    -- Large Club may heal the enemies now.
    -- "A Gun. That's it. A gun." has been simply changed to, "Gun" (for the sake of space). It always buffs enemies now.
    -- Holy Cleaver now does 3 DMG but blesses the player if the weapon is used. Armor can't be used while Holy Cleaver is used.
  • All status effect show for how many turns it'll last next to the symbol. (For example, ♪4 means buffed for 4 turns.)
  • The cursed status effect still lasts if the mob has been hit. Bless is still the same.
  • Changed the weapon window description slightly, and added new descriptions for the new weapons:
    -- "This item poisons enemies" is now, "Poisons enemies", etc.

Version 1.2b:

• The food broke, fixed it.

Version 1.2c:

• Fixed Status Effect.

Version 1.3:

• Healing Potion now heals a lot. (3 HP. specifically).
  • The cat can now hold 12 items instead of 6.
  • The use menu and the hint menu are placed differently.
  • Carboard Boxes now have a higher chance of giving items.
  • Carboard Boxes now have a lower chance of summoning mobs.
  • Carboard rooms may spawn a little more often now.
  • Changed the spawn room.
  • Enemies that wield the key now are permanently white in color.
  • Enemy Changes:
    -- Ghoul has 3 HP.
    -- Bird has 4 HP.
    -- Fox has 6 HP. and does 1 DMG.
  • Gun now does 3 DMG.
  • Changed the rats, the snakes and the ghouls animations.

Version 1.4:

• Carboard Boxes may only spawn rats instead of any mob.
  • Now, the win floor is 11.
  • Added New Enemy:
    Turtle.
    -- Does 1 DMG and has 1 HP.
    -- Whenever a mob, (including the player) gets next to it, it gets +1 ATK, +1 HP. and +1 MAX HP.
  • Added a new room,
    The Void.
    -- Has Void Tiles.
    -- Void Tiles block view like Plant Tiles.
    -- Void Tiles turn into red goo when stepped on.
    -- Red goo gives 4 Poison.

Version 1.4b:

• Fixed Fog of War

Version 1.5

• The endgame was too hard. Changed it. (Bear -> 6/8, Turtle -> 2/4, Snake -> 2/3, Fox -> 1/7)

Version 1.6

• Removed Sticky Effect and Lab.
  • Added Stuns a Lot.
  • Drastically changed traps room.
  • Weird Sword now always curses enemies.
  • Large Club always heals enemies.
  • Poisonous Katana now deals 1 DMG.
  • Changed LOS of Bear and Ghoul.
  • Added Beehives, Bee Enemies and Honey.
  • Added Anthills and Ants Enemies.
  • Merged Torch and Carpet Rooms.
  • Added Evil Enemies, that deal +2 DMG.
  • Throw line no longer flickers.
  • Lowered healing items a little.
  • Added new room for future Catlike updates.
  • Removed Small Chests.

If any bug has been found, please report!

P#125224 2023-02-03 10:45 ( Edited 2023-06-26 15:18)

Version 1

Cart #mwac-0 | 2023-01-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Version 2

Cart #mwac-1 | 2023-06-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

What is This?

Matching game meets cats, that's what.

How do I play?

Press ⬅️/➡️/⬆️/⬇️ Arrow Keys to move the cursor. Press 🅾️/❎ to select an item, then press the direction you want the item to swap with and press 🅾️/❎ again. If you wish to deselect the tile, press 🅾️/❎ on the original tile again. The current tile and the selected tile are separated by an orange plate and a pink plate respectively. You can move items even if the moved item won't match with anything.

This is a usual Match-3 or Candy Crush Soda Saga game. You have to satisfy an amount of orders to play. Whenever you match a line of three goods horizontally or vertically, 1 order gets satisfied.

Whenever you match a line of four goods horizontally or vertically, you will trigger its ability while satisfying 2 orders at once. Any one than four goods horizontally or vertically in a line satisfies 3 orders! If you are able to satisfy all the orders after you use up all your moves, you win, else, you loose the game.

Every time you match a line of four goods (or more) horizontally or vertically, you gain a ⭐. You only collect all the ⭐s if you are able to satisfy the orders. If you have a certain amount of ⭐s, you unlock more goods with more abilities!

♪ Can you collect all the sets of goods? ♪

Credits & Motivation

The game was made by, me D3V?, of course, using Pico-8 under 2-3 weeks. The music was made by Gruber Music, it came from his Pico Tunes Vol.1 Pack, using the 'Villager' tune. Credit to Cmrn.io for "letting" me use their game, Match-3 as a template, my little brain could not have made one myself.

I had thought of making some kind of match game (with a cat of course, as cats are the main theme of my non-jam games till now)during my vacation, and threw out some ideas from my head to my notebook. There some more ideas I created, both for the abilities and the goods, which I wanted to implement, but I was running out of code and sprite space in Pico-8, (and motivation) to do it. However, in my opinion, the product is alright.

♥ Also, thanks to you for playing my game! ♥

Changelog:

• Initial Release
  • Added Combo System
P#124941 2023-01-28 04:53 ( Edited 2023-06-24 14:27)

Cart #theweb-0 | 2023-01-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

What is This?

This is a game submission for the Mini Jam 123: Web. It was built around the theme of, "Web", with the limitation of, "There is No Ground".

How Do I Play?

Behind The Scenes...

Running out of motivation and inspiration to make original games, why would I not join a game jam? And that's what I would do. The experience of making this game would be fun, mainly because there would be no over scope, crunch or anything like that. I hoped that I would get into experiences like this. As per the gameplay inspiration itself? Subway Surfers meets casual shmup.

Better not play this if you have Arachnophobia!

P#123947 2023-01-08 14:30 ( Edited 2023-01-08 14:38)

Cart #thebombs-0 | 2023-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Chess Shmup - The two ultimate combos!

P#123507 2023-01-02 13:00

V1

Cart #yazipugofu-0 | 2022-12-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

V2

Cart #yazipugofu-1 | 2022-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made a smol puzzle game about looping.

Arrow Keys=move
N/X/V=retry
Z/C/M=palette change

P#123074 2022-12-26 16:38 ( Edited 2022-12-27 15:02)

Cart #thegoldenfish-0 | 2022-12-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

[32x32]

What is this?
This is a pico-8 platformer game made in 7 days. Small little casual platformer, nothing else.

Controls
The controls for this game are the same as default pico-8 ones, which are:

Controls        Actions
Left Arrow      Left
Right Arrow     Right
X / V           Jump
C / Z           Retry Level

Credits
The game was made by me, using Pico-8. I am new to Pico-8, so I wanted to make a short little platformer game to learn Pico-8. The music in this game was made by Gruber Music, and I watched Nerdy Teachers' and Lazy Dev Academy's tutorials to make this game.

P#122152 2022-12-10 11:36 ( Edited 2022-12-10 11:42)