Follow
ghettobastler

I make things and make things do things

[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #marcelgoestovisitafriend_v1-2 | 2024-03-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Help Marcel reach their friend to chill while the hero is away!

This is my first take at making a platformer. I spent all my time and effort on getting a character controller that felt good, so the story and visuals are very bare-bones (pun not intended but let's roll with it).

Controls

• Arrows to run
  • O/X to jump

The music can be turned off in the pause menu

Tips

• The longer you press the jump button, the higher you jump
  • During a wall slide, you can detach from the wall by pressing the down button
  • Similarly, you can go through one-way platforms by pressing the down button
  • Spikes don't hurt you if you move away from them
  • Collecting all flowers isn't mandatory

Please let me know what you think!

Changelog

• 1.0: Initial release
  • 1.1: Fixed the cover image
  • 1.2: Made the last area accessible after finishing the game
P#142827 2024-03-12 19:46 ( Edited 2024-03-12 21:22)

[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #ghettobastler_space_basher-0 | 2024-02-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi! This is Space Basher, a game about clearing space debris using a tool that has way too much recoil.

How to play

Move around using the D-pad and grab a debris by holding X. While grabbing, you can adjust the angle of your slice with Left and Right. Releasing X slices the debris in two, and sends you flying in the opposite direction.

Slicing depletes your ship's battery, leaving it unresponsive and without a shield. Hitting a debris without your shield up damages your ship. Three hits without a shield will destroy your ship.
Moving or grabbing a debris for too long will also deplete your ship's energy

You can replenish your energy by hitting one of the beams on the sides of the field, or by waiting for it to recharge.

Some debris have a special effect depending on their color. There is an option in the pause menu to add a label on the colored debris.

About the game

This is my first actual PICO-8 game that isn't a prototype/learning exercise, which ended up being a weird mix of Asteroid, pool and the "bash" move from the Ori games. I use the collision code from NuSan's ComboPool which I modified to take into account the size and mass of the entities.

Hope you like it, thank you for your feedback!

P#141822 2024-02-23 17:06