Mea's Castle is a Metroidvania-like Game: You're a little Adventurer and your Goal is to find the "Cup of Hope". You can run and jump, and soon you will find some Artifacts that'll give you more Abilities.
🠔🠖 - Move
🠗 + 🠔🠖 - Crouch
(Z) - Jump
(X) + 🠗 - Use the last Powerup
This Game is difficult. If you're not a Fan of Jump'n Run-like Games, I think it will be too frustrating^^. There are still Checkpoints basically everywhere, but it's still not easy to beat that Game. Expect to die a lot while playing this^^.
- @Gruber for the Music "Eyes in the Dark" and "Flight of Icarus" (both with slight Remixes) from Pico-8 Tunes Volume 2 .
- Youtuber Dev Quest and his Video Efficient Tilesets in Pico-8 Tutorial
- @Krystman for his Cartridge "Sample Code: Screenshake and Fading" and all the other Videos and Tutorials.
- Youtuber hh7x6 and his Speedrun-Video.
- Of course: Thanks to you for playing! :)
Also, if you like to cheat, you can use
Reset the Cartridge (P -> Reset Cart) and do this:
If you did it right, you'll hear a slightly different Sound.
Also, here's the Map of the Game. Altough I'm not sure if it's that useful here^^:
Start-Position is where the Map says "Hi":
Hope you'll have Fun with that little Game^^.
New in v1.09
- Just a graphical Change: Cannons now "blink" just before they fires.
New in v1.08a
- Fixed "Slide Down"-Animation facing on wrong Direction, Thanks to Some1NamedNate for finding out that bug!
New in v1.08
- Just some more graphical stuff: Little changes on Titlescreen and Checkpoints. There's also a Checkpoint-Animation if the Player dies.
- Also I like the idea that the Castle looks more and more "holey" the more Powerups the Player has. Just a subtle Change in the mood I guess^^.
- Checkpoints will now always been activated, even while the last Powerup is activated.
New in v1.07
- Graphical Overhaul. Smooth Walls, Ceilings and so on, Thanks to Youtuber "Dev Quest" and his Tutorial!
- Screen-Fades everywhere, Thanks to Krystman for his Code on the "Code Snippets"-Section!
- Particle-Effects on Enemies and Bullets.
- Particle-Effects and Sounds when Player slides down on green Walls.
- Menu-Sounds, not just the Music alone.
- Changed and added Dust-Animation for the Player.
New in v1.06
- Fixed a Bug where the Game could freeze after leaving a Room near a "Door"-Tile. Thanks to MacadamiaMan for finding that Bug.
- Fixed a Bug where the Game could freeze while using a treadmill.
New in v1.05
- Added Coyote-Jump (you can still jump after running off the ledge, for a few extra frames). I really wanted to add that^^.
- Wallslide-Animation only if the Player slides down.
New in v1.04
- Performance-Update! Previous Versions uses around ~65% CPU-Usage all the time, is now reduced to ~30%. Now it's playable on slow Devices like a Raspberry Pi Zero.
New in v1.03:
- Fixed a Bug where the Player couldn't use a Wall Jump on certain circumstances.
New in v1.02
- Just forgotton to change the Title Screen^^.
New in v1.01
- Replaced the last Level; it really wasn't that good^^. Thanks to bigjus for the Feedback.
@bigjus: You know what? You're absolutely right, this Part ist way too hard! I've just uploaded a new Version that replaced that Level entirely. Sorry for Spoiling^^.
(Note to myself: Next Time, I should sleep a day before I upload something^^)
Thank you for your Feedback! :)
@Gruber: You're Welcome, and Thank You for your great Music you made available! :)
thanks astorek86 , glad you didnt see my comments as negative , every player gets satisfaction from completing a game (however hard) and ive played lots of games i cant finish and felt frustrated !
a good ending is as satisfying as the actual game itself !
great work , look forward to your next one
From what I played so far, this game is awesome! Really tight controls and smart level design. I love how backtracking isn't frustrating since you smartly allow new abilities to make the screens easier. Plus the game feels so good to play that I don't mind dying a dozen times. It even works pretty great on mobile! (except that one level with where you have to duck repeatedly on a conveyor belt, it's a bit cumbersome with touch controls). Also, I really appreciate how obstacles on a cycle always reset to the same spot when you die.
I really want to finish the game, but sadly I can't! When I try to exit the room where you get the key, the game freezes with my little guy stuck on the right edge of the screen not taking inputs (shown in the screenshot). The music keeps playing, but that's pretty much all that still works. This happened to me twice, once on mobile and once in the web player on a computer. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's just a bug. Would love to see this patched out and come back to see the ending!
Sorry for the late Reply^^. And Thank you all for the Feedback, I really appreciate that :)
@hahhah42 : Great Speedrun, love that you're using Coyote-Jumps to spare time, I never thought of that ;D . If you've bought PICO-8, you can download every Version with it, like "load #meas_castle-0". I've just updated the first Post and put all Versions of the Game in it^^.
(EDIT: Sorry, I put every other Version off from the Start-Post, because there's some problems here and there after uploading it. For example, I suddenly couldn't play the Game on my Mobile-Devices anymore^^)
@MacadamiaMan : You did nothing wrong, that's a bug^^. I've just uploaded a new Version where the bug should no longer occur. The Bug works like this: If you leave the current Screen, the Map will be drawn completely new, including the Door-Tiles. Sometimes the Player doesn't leave the "old" Screen quickly enough, so a few Pixels from the Player are still on the "old" Screen with the Door-Tile, and the Players' Collision-System hangs on an infinite Loop. Shouldn't happen again^^.
I have just set up my new gameforce chi with pico 8 today and this is the first game I played on it. It took me 28 minutes and I loved the game! It felt really great in particular to unlock double jump. I think you really nailed the movement in the game. Thanks for the fun!
I'm gonna speedrun this game.
As you can see i got a 7.56.1 with 19 deaths
This is my 5th-6th run so far
Sub-5 is definitely possible
I am also using the web version, as I have a Chromebook.
PS I just saw @hahhah42 do a great score, so i guess ill be challenging you to this game now lol
neat game! I got confused at where to go sometimes, but it still never lost my interest and I beat it. there was one room (conveyor belt, spikes, and a little dude shooting at you) where I felt there maybe should have been an additional checkpoint. but these are minor things, very well-executed game. and impressive that you made a successful metroidvania, those are pretty tough to get right!
@MikeDingus I thought I could beat your speedrun but I only got 8.08.3 with 12 deaths! Annoyingly I was playing too cautiously. I think I can do sub 7 minutes but not sub 5 minutes.
@Astorek86 this is such a fun game. The controls are so tight and the whole game works really well.
Once again, Thank you all for the Feedback! Also love to see a bit of a Speedrun-Competition is going on :)
@Some1NamedNate: Thanks for pointing that out. I just released a new Version which should fix that graphical Issue. This Bug happened if you pressed "Left" and "Right" at the same time while sliding down a Wall. Shouldn't occur again^^.
To anyone who wants to speedrun this game, we've finally got it on speedrun.com! https://www.speedrun.com/meas_castle
The current world record for any% is 4:54, and with the konami code it's 4:10. Both can definitely be beaten, so if you want to learn strats then you should also join the discord: https://discord.com/invite/Mmy5wJAXEJ
OMG! Have been playing this game this whole day, on and off, like did some chores, played a little, food, tv, but always come back hehehe since I didn't knew the size of the game I was afraid of refreshing the screen or something like that hauwhawuhaw I got lost for a while, but it never got boring and I got that super meat boy vibes, where you die and die again, but want to keep going! Really cool game! congrats!!!
Since I left the game playing, without pausing it, while I was off the computer, I definitely got the record of worst time!!! hahaha
Have a nice day!
[Please log in to post a comment]