For Ludum Dare 45. Topic "Start with nothing".
You start with no eyes! Instead, you stole metal detector, it can help you to find a treasure and steal it.
Russian roulette is a lethal game of chance in which a player places a single round in a revolver, spins the cylinder, places the muzzle against his head, and pulls the trigger.
You are Roskomnadzor mascot, RKN-Chan, you censor and ban everything on the Internet, but you finally find out that your own life was not blocked in Russia yet, you need to fix this as soon as possible!
Anyway, you won't survive to your retirement, so now your only option is to earn your own pension playing this lethal game, shooting empty rounds and banking the rewards. Everyone dies (except your beloved president), so go ahead!
Simple testing cart to test FPS on device.
Can adjust update and draw payload to see how often _update60 and _draw functions are called depending on their slowness.
Generates random forest 128x128 large blocks, each block consist of 16x16 tiles (so, entire forest size is 16384x16384 pixels)
Overall layout is generated with diamond-square algorithm. Each large block is 16x16 tiled biom which has biom type 0..7 (0 is water, 1 is swampy, 2..4 are rather clean, 5..6 are deeper, 7 is almost impassable) and seed number to generate biom content. So if you run far away then return - biom will be regenerated as it was originally, without changes.
Then 4x4 bioms around player are generated and copied to map. When you walk, every 16 tiles map is shifted and next 4 bioms are generated using corresponding seeds.
Z, Y - cycle through game view, layout view and 4x4 map view.
There is no point yet. You can find owl, but you cannot win still. Also, forest is looped and it wraps around every 2048 tiles.
WARNING: Blinking background can cause seizures.
Maybe someone of you want to use this music in your own game.
Music from Cheetahmen game from famous Action52 unlicensed cartridge.
Original music: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/action52cheetahmen.mid
Midi to Pico-8 converter: https://github.com/andmatand/midi-to-pico8
About note representation in memory
Each note in sfx are made from two byted. Byte order is little-endian. Here is bit representation from higher bit to lower: X = Effect (0..7) V = Volume (0..7) F = Waveform(0..7) N = Note(C0 = 0, C#0=1, ..., C1=12, ..., C2=24, ..., D#5 = 63) 0x3201+I 0x3200+I 0XXXVVVF-FFNNNNNN Where I is 2*(34*[sfx index] + [note index])
There are lot of Battle City clones exist in this world. This one is Pico-8 port, made by me just for fun.
- First "stable" release (moved from "work in progress" to "cartridges" as it's almost finished, maybe later i'll add some new features like level constructor, but not sure about it).
- Moved Game Over screen after score calculation, like in original NES version
- Added Hi-Score screen after Game Over screen (if player beat high-score)
- Changed palette, now it uses "secret" Pico-8 palette for bricks. Can be toggled through menu if palette doesn't work for some reason.
- Fixed lot of bugs.
- Normal music and sfx. Some sfx (tanks explosions) are not so good because NES noise channel differs from Pico noise and cannot be made with Pico.
- Different role for shooting buttons: rapid and single.
- Level selection at the start, score screen at the and of each stage.
- Hard mode after stage 70, enemy tanks have all advantages of basic 4 tank types.
- Core game for 1 or 2 players
- Original 35 levels (after level 35 they start to repeat like in original game)
- Random mode, which generates every level from random nine pieces of existing levels
- Progress automatically saves between levels, you can reset cart and continue later, but erases on gameover, like in rogue-like games. May be useful on random mode, if generated level is impossible.
- Level editor
- Maybe implement some features from chinese '1990 tank' hack
- Maybe storyline between levels
- Feature requests are welcome