Another little project my brother and I have been working on. We are huge Cave Story fans, so building a demake was kind of a childhood dream come true. Never ceases to amaze me how much can be done within the (wonderful self-imposed) limitations of the Pico-8 engine.
It has no real ending as-of-now, we might add that in later. But for now, enjoy! If you want to see some of our process in creating this, we vlogged about it at DoubtfulGames
A few things:
- If a weapon upgrade shard gets trapped in the level geometry, it will keep making sounds
- Life maximum is not preserved between rooms, and in fact the container will reappear again in the First Cave
- Continuing to hold left/right after pressing down to enter a doorway will make you slide
A few simple fixes for my sanity:
- There's a missing tile to the right of the very first door of the game.
- Holding jump enables you to hop in place, the jump should be based on a key-down event, not on key-held.
- The water surrounding the door to the polar star is inescapable if you fall in. This isn't accurate to the actual game. I believe there's an angled tile on the left side of the moat (lack of a better term)
Otherwise, I think the game looks great and I'm excited you guys are making one of my favorite games of all time (as you can see from my avatar).
Log in to post a comment