This update finalizes version 0.4. I changed what version 0.4 would include, I moved coin collection to the next release and introduced a camera overhaul to the current release. The camera overhaul is a very close match to the camera from Super Mario World. I still haven't implemented the platform snapping and free movement in the y direction when Mario/Luigi jump at max height (Equivalent to jumping with a full P-meter from Super Mario Bros. 3). I also temporarily confined the game space so you will no longer fall off the edges of the map, this is going to be obsolete once I change how we load the map data.
Thanks for checking this out, I appreciate any feedback anyone has.
Little Mario Bros.
This is meant to be a clone of the original Super Mario Bros. with PICO-8 size limitations. I'm aiming for 1:1 physics, and level design. Not sure on how many levels, I'm hoping to make the game up to the first castle.
Features by version
- 0.1 - Collision, movement, and ability to jump.
- 0.2 - Finer tuned movement, additional animations (jumping, skidding, etc.)
- 0.3 - Jump Buffering, near 1:1 physics (Missing water physics and enemy bounce)
- 0.4 - UI, minor death conditions, running animation based on speed and camera overhaul.
- 0.5 - Map overhaul to store maps as data to load on the fly.
- 0.6 - Block animations and coin collection
- 0.7 - Continue with either enemies or powerups (dreading the pixel art for big Mario/Luigi)
- 0.8 - To be continued...
This update includes a UI that's probably close to the final thing. This update also includes respawning after death (only works for the pits and not off the sides of the level), different animation speeds based on player velocity, and a game over screen that restarts the game after a few seconds. All I'm missing from the 0.4 version is the ability to collect coins, I'm trying to find a good way to do it while still using the level editor.
I want know if buying Voxatron gives me access to the full version of Pico-8. I'm not sure if the wording is saying I'll have Pico-8 until it gets out of Alpha or if I buy Voxatron while it's in Alpha, I'll also get Pico-8. Thanks.