Another little project my brother and I have been working on. We are huge Cave Story fans, so building a demake was kind of a childhood dream come true. Never ceases to amaze me how much can be done within the (wonderful self-imposed) limitations of the Pico-8 engine.
It has no real ending as-of-now, we might add that in later. But for now, enjoy! If you want to see some of our process in creating this, we vlogged about it at DoubtfulGames
A few things:
- If a weapon upgrade shard gets trapped in the level geometry, it will keep making sounds
- Life maximum is not preserved between rooms, and in fact the container will reappear again in the First Cave
- Continuing to hold left/right after pressing down to enter a doorway will make you slide
A few simple fixes for my sanity:
- There's a missing tile to the right of the very first door of the game.
- Holding jump enables you to hop in place, the jump should be based on a key-down event, not on key-held.
- The water surrounding the door to the polar star is inescapable if you fall in. This isn't accurate to the actual game. I believe there's an angled tile on the left side of the moat (lack of a better term)
Otherwise, I think the game looks great and I'm excited you guys are making one of my favorite games of all time (as you can see from my avatar).
[Please log in to post a comment]