▶️ Download at itch.io ◀️
Pico World Race is a fast paced racing game for PICO-8. Get in your supercar and take a trip around the world, testing your driving skills on challenging circuits against a host of opponents.
- 60fps gameplay
- 8 uniquely themed races
- 8 opponents to race against
- 20 tokens to collect each race
- Persistent user data to save your progress
Left/Right - Steer
Z - Accelerate
X - Brake/Drift
1.0 - Initial Release
1.1 - Custom Race Update
- Added custom races. Thousands of randomly generated tracks to race!
- Various graphical improvements including better sprites and longer draw distance
- Improved race summary screen
- Added cart art
1.2 - Burnout Update
- Improved player car animation
- Added opponent car variations
- Better opponent AI
- It has started snowing in Nepal
Many thanks to TheRoboZ for his contributions.
Loud cheers and Huzzahs ! Superb work, @PAK9. THIS is an epic racing game. Gold star medal all the way !
The only thing I could suggest would be to have two gears like many racing games have. Low gear and high gear. Low gear is press up on the control. High gear is press down on the control.
Low gear has greater start speed especially if you are at stop, High gear goes faster than maximum low gear but does not work well from a complete stop.
Agreed with everybody here, this is not only a great game but probably the best racer on pico-8, for speed, smoothness and quality. Because of this, I felt the sprite limitation were restricting its full graphics potential and had a quick test to try and reclaim sprite space.
Here's a possible idea to draw the car with my picodraw system. This will accomplish 3 things:
- add a pseudo 3d perspective to the car, to avoid the sudden change form straight to sideview (my version is just a test so it can be improved a lot)
- give more space for roadside sprites, at least doubling their resolution (the tree here is redrawn at 16x16px)
- when implemented fully (with scaling, as now you see there are no other visible cars), it can allow 3 or 4 different car types without compromising performances.
I'll work a bit on this in the following days if it's ok for you. Contact me on twitter @TheRoboZ
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.
@TheRoboZ that's neat! I like the pseudo-3D car effect and the upscaling makes those ugly sprites much nicer.
The spritesheet is pretty poorly arranged so there's actually quite a lot of scope for including larger sprites. I'm not much of an artist and I wanted to wrap up the project so I didn't really squeeze the most out of the available space.
If you are messing with the sprites you might want to grab the tool which was used to generate the sprite definitions:
Incidentally I've now uploaded my local repository for the project where the code is a bit more accessible:
This game might just be my favourite PICO-8 racing game, it is really enjoyable and it has some very challenging maps like Funland, it took me a dozen times to get first place in that map, but I didn't rage or anything, I just wanted to keep on playing. Well made game, great physics, good level design, 10/10.
I'm always down for a great racing experience and this Pico-8 racing game did not disappoint at all! I was blown away with how polished the simple controls and gameplay felt! Right out of the gate and without even reading how to play I was right into it drifting around corners and having a grand old time! @PAK9 Thank you for taking the time to create and share this gem with the community! Fantastic work!
This is super cool, at first it felt too easy, but when I tried and pushed myself to get the tokens to unlock the other levels it got serious and felt way more challenging bc although the game is quite forgiving, I was not XD
Somehow I was a little confused in the menus, there might just be a little feedback missing, other than that it feels flawless!
[Please log in to post a comment]