A puzzle platformer by Matthias Falk, made in 5 days.
The only thing you can do is jump - is that enough to climb a mountain?
- 6613/8192 tokens used (did some refactoring near the end since code wouldn't have fit otherwise)
- nearly full tilesheet/map used
This is my first PICO-8 game, I hope you like it.
Touch controls (touch to jump) also supported.
You can also support and download the game via itch.io.
Updated to v1.1 with following changes:
- Save game: Game will now autosave each level and you can quit/resume the game any time now at the point you left off.
- Mouse/touch controls: Game can now be fully controlled via mouse/touch (also added small clickable reset button, in case player gets stuck). Since the game has always been a one-tap game, we now have a mobile-ready PICO platformer!
- Difficulty curve: made some adjustments in the first few screens to make difficulty curve a bit less steep.
- More changes: Made bullet hitboxes more accurate and thus a little bit more foregiving.
Keep in mind that on D-pad or joystick it's impossible to push left and right at the same time. I see there's as least a menu option to restart a level, but as it is, this game would still fail the fantasy certification process :)
I also think I would have more fun if it saved progress so I could quit and resume later; it can take a while to figure out each level, and I didn't have time to finish it past the level where you make the black and white dudes drop from a bridge thing when you take the key.
Re difficulty I guess it depends what you're going for - this looks like a puzzle game but the difficulty plays like a precise platformer, if you get me? Like, once I solve the puzzle of figuring out what to do is it supposed to be difficult to do it? And so does the fun/satisfaction come from solving the puzzle or the execution?
Surely a poor showing, but at least I finished.
The descent was significantly easier than the ascent. It was kind of a relief. The triple bullet level was a doozy. Great job, looking forward to more. Also, he posted this on the IRC channel which I wish would get more activity. Channel full of lurkers.
I've tried it again with the edited difficulty curve and had a great time! Really love the style and the ending made me smile. Felt like I broke a couple of levels to get through them - the last one the game seemed to be leading me all around but I jumped twice after the first bounce and got out a much easier way. Most of the levels were very satisfying to complete - but a couple frustrating ones at the end of each half. Great job!
[Please log in to post a comment]