A puzzle platformer by Matthias Falk, made in 5 days.
The only thing you can do is jump - is that enough to climb a mountain?
- 6613/8192 tokens used (did some refactoring near the end since code wouldn't have fit otherwise)
- nearly full tilesheet/map used
This is my first PICO-8 game, I hope you like it.
Touch controls (touch to jump) also supported.
You can also support and download the game via itch.io.
Updated to v1.1 with following changes:
- Save game: Game will now autosave each level and you can quit/resume the game any time now at the point you left off.
- Mouse/touch controls: Game can now be fully controlled via mouse/touch (also added small clickable reset button, in case player gets stuck). Since the game has always been a one-tap game, we now have a mobile-ready PICO platformer!
- Difficulty curve: made some adjustments in the first few screens to make difficulty curve a bit less steep.
- More changes: Made bullet hitboxes more accurate and thus a little bit more foregiving.
Keep in mind that on D-pad or joystick it's impossible to push left and right at the same time. I see there's as least a menu option to restart a level, but as it is, this game would still fail the fantasy certification process :)
I also think I would have more fun if it saved progress so I could quit and resume later; it can take a while to figure out each level, and I didn't have time to finish it past the level where you make the black and white dudes drop from a bridge thing when you take the key.
Re difficulty I guess it depends what you're going for - this looks like a puzzle game but the difficulty plays like a precise platformer, if you get me? Like, once I solve the puzzle of figuring out what to do is it supposed to be difficult to do it? And so does the fun/satisfaction come from solving the puzzle or the execution?
Surely a poor showing, but at least I finished.
The descent was significantly easier than the ascent. It was kind of a relief. The triple bullet level was a doozy. Great job, looking forward to more. Also, he posted this on the IRC channel which I wish would get more activity. Channel full of lurkers.
I've tried it again with the edited difficulty curve and had a great time! Really love the style and the ending made me smile. Felt like I broke a couple of levels to get through them - the last one the game seemed to be leading me all around but I jumped twice after the first bounce and got out a much easier way. Most of the levels were very satisfying to complete - but a couple frustrating ones at the end of each half. Great job!
@matthias: Looks like you should add "lexaloffle.com" (without "www.") in your list of permitted domains. Perhaps also "playpico.com", and you probably want to make this change for all your games (I tested a couple of them). That is, if you really need this kind of DRM at all :D
[Please log in to post a comment]