BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #dungeon_boast-3 | 2019-11-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Made for Ludum Dare 44, Dungeon Boast is a trap runner for 1-4 players. Run through a procedurally generated dungeon filled with traps to attain riches and glory! Take less health with you to increase your rewards.

Supports USB controllers for 1-4 players.

-----Keyboard Controls-----

P1: Move with arrow keys. Jump or accept/decline with Z/X (or N/M if you're sharing a keyboard with player 2)

P2: Move with ESDF. Jump or accept/decline with Shift/A or Tab/Q

-----Credits-----

Code: Ted Carter

Art: Eric Hill

Audio: Stuart Mitchell

Design: Marian Hill

P#67411 2019-09-08 22:30 ( Edited 2024-04-05 22:22)

Cart #slimeorb0_1-0 | 2019-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Just some work-in-progress art for a game idea I had. I really like how this turned out.

Was planning on using this spritesheet in a game I'm writing in the golang pixel engine. I might make a pico-8 version though!

P#67404 2019-09-08 18:03 ( Edited 2019-09-08 18:24)

Cart #ecozilla-0 | 2019-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Disclaimer

This is the first small game I am making on pico8 and it is so much fun !
I now love constrained game development, I feel like an 80's programmer.
Please be kind, but don't hesitate to share some feedback, your thoughts or potential optimizations !

Concept

You play as a friendly Godzilla who still destroys buildings but puts them in the proper bin.

So your goal is to pick'em up and go to the bin with the matching color, and to RECYCLE.
You only have 3 lives, so don't get confused and RECYCLE.
There is also a maximum height you can't overstep, so be quick and RECYCLE.

Controls

• X : 1) In game : to pick up a building ; 2) Out of game : to select
  • Left & Right Arrows : to move

Incoming updates

• Better visuals
  • More feedback on the gained score
  • Combos depending on the number of buildings thrown at the same time in a bin
  • The possibility to eat the carried buildings?
  • The possibility to catch falling buildings before they touch the ground?

Have fun !

P#67396 2019-09-08 12:54

Cart #pikoban-0 | 2019-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A simple sokoban game.
This is my first game, hope you like!

Features

• 457 levels
  • Level selector
  • Statistics
  • Undo function
  • Simple tutorial
  • Current level and stats are saved to cart data

Controls

←↑↓→: move player
X : undo move / select menu item
X+O : reset level

The levels are from the Microban I + II + III + IV level sets by David W. Skinner found on http://www.sourcecode.se/sokoban/levels

P#67394 2019-09-08 11:22

Cart #worldmapskew-0 | 2019-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Quick pseudo 3D worldmap skew effect meant to emulate something like Final Fantasy 6's overworld. The way this works is it copies the screen to the spritesheet after rendering the map, then goes through from top to bottom taking skewh rows and drawing them using sspr, adding 2 pixels more to the width every time. The skewh value defaults to 4.

Left/down decreases skewh (minimum of 1), up/right increases skewh (maximum of 16), and the buttons toggle the skewing on and off.

P#67391 2019-09-08 05:32

Hey! I'm DatOneBuilder. I used to be in Vox community (I took lessons about Vox and other related coding games, but took a large break from the game.) Sadly, I lost access to my previous account. My account old account can be found here. I'm going to be taking up some of my old projects but I will need to brush up on Vox as I have taken a long break from the game. Thanks!

P#67380 2019-09-08 00:49

Spent hours playing kingdom new lands.
Spent hours playing Across the River by Benjamin Soule
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2010

Was really curious if we could add the water reflection of Kingdom to Across the River.
Might try and add the effect to the original Across the River later in the week.

Cart #reflections-0 | 2019-09-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#67379 2019-09-08 00:39

Cart #ghostbuster-0 | 2019-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Alright so after a month I quit working on this game, I'm submitting it to the jam regardless because otherwise it will sit dormant forever. Many a bug plagued this thing and I'm glad to get rid of it. If you can fix it then well, have a crack at it. In fact I honestly don't care if you change the credits and upload it as your own. I hope what little bit of a game that IS here is enjoyable

P#67378 2019-09-08 00:03

Are there any examples in the BBS of a cart faking a game crash as part of the game? IE printing out a false error message? I was thinking about this and wondered if anybody had done it.

P#67370 2019-09-07 19:08

Cart #boginrufi-0 | 2019-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Alright, the title explains what this is really. So I mapped a random """heightmap""" to the sprite sheet (using poke), later in _draw() I SSPRed the whole sheet, giving 128 rows from the sprite sheet on the screen. Then I offset the Y using the function √1-x^2 modified to look more visually appealing, and hacking off the sides so weird noise wasn't visible. Offsetting the source of the SSPR on the X-axis allowed me to scroll what was visible to the user.

You might say, "Hey, that noise looks like sh!t", and yeah you're right. This is not quality noise. but I coded the noise in like 2 hours, so cut some slack, please. My current project doesn't need noise thats anymore complex than this. I don't need a fancy system of noise. Also, please ignore how bad my code is, I can be a bit of a spaghetti coder.

(Btw: Z/X to rotate the cynlindar, i submitted this to share less as a resource so i didnt include user interface text)

P#67361 2019-09-07 17:01

Cart #fakestripes-0 | 2019-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

a simple Tweetcart. Not much else to say.

P#67356 2019-09-07 14:22

Cart #inside_a_house-0 | 2019-09-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#67351 2019-09-07 09:57

Cart #threed-3 | 2019-09-09 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This cart demos some work I've been doing on 3d rendering - including both flat shading and per-vertex shading.

up/down/left/right - orient
z - change colour palette
x - change render mode

The per-vertex shading is experimental code using sspr for render scanlines from the spritesheet. There are some issues with this - lighting discontinuities possibly fixed-point related.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some bugs, and I need to update the transform code and add in viewport culling.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

update:

• increased rendering performance (radix sort + pipeline changes)
  • fixed per-vertex shading
P#67350 2019-09-07 09:55 ( Edited 2019-09-09 15:47)

Cart #corrupted_celeste_16-0 | 2019-09-06 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This has 12 distinct methods of corruption.

P#67342 2019-09-06 23:46

I have done a game code for a red ball that I can move in a line. I have figured out the code for that. However, I am stuck on making it change a color when it hits the end of the pico 8 screen. I have searched it online and have had no luck. Can anyone explain what I need to do to get the ball to change color? Thank you
Here is my code so far without changing the color.

col=0
function _init()
cls()
xpos = 64
ypos = 64
col = 8
size = 5
end

function _update60()
if (btn(0) and xpos > 0) xpos -= 1
if (btn(1) and xpos < 127) xpos += 1
end
if xpos < 33 then col = 5
end
function _draw()
cls()
circfill(xpos, ypos, size, col)
end

P#67310 2019-09-05 23:38

Cart #nesepohoha-1 | 2019-09-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#67307 2019-09-05 22:36

Surprisingly with all the updates PICO-8 has received, it has one gross error in it that took me hours to debug and later find out and break it into the exact components giving the error alone. It was definitely a case of "it's not my fault." Could cause problems later in other carts and programs.

This will not run:

if (key=="(") print"open"

This will also not run:

if (key==")") print"close"

This will run:

if (key=="[") print"open"

Wow. And no-one's discovered this till now ??

P#67302 2019-09-05 21:02 ( Edited 2019-09-06 04:08)

nhr
by dw817
Cart #nhr-4 | 2019-09-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Update: Added GRAY, bars, text, Hopalong Cassidy

Hello.

As you know, a new palette method was discovered. Now while you can't use all 32-colors in one screen (which is what I had hoped), you CAN tweak individual palettes of the 16 to use the new set.

This means for those of you who want to make games that use only one HUE, then you might find this program useful.

It shows 6-squares going from darkest but not black to each color of purple, red, orange, yellow, green, and blue, using the (O) key to change between, and the coding involved to produce it.

I have since added a picture of Hopalong Cassidy. This was not easy. First I converted a square picture of him to 128x128 B&W. Then manually created a palette based on the 7-colors that comprise of (Gray). Then reissue the image using that palette.

Then manually modify the palette only to default PICO-8 standard. Import. Re-hue, done. He looks best in the GRAY hue because that is the picture he was originally, B&W.

Would be keen to have optional 16-shades of B&W. :D Maybe next PICO-8 release.

Note, the color bars and squares are still there, change value HOPALONG=0 in the program and re-run.

P#67290 2019-09-05 17:05 ( Edited 2019-09-05 20:15)

Cart #ostrich-0 | 2019-09-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So this is my first time working with PICO-8 and really my first time making a game from scratch in general.
The entire movement system is my own creation, I didn't look to see how other people did movement so it may not be perfect but I'm rather proud of it. A lot of it just came naturally as little things I added as I discovered the different capabilities I had. Some things, such as the glitchy title intro and the hp bar jolting in the direction you're hit, were actually just pure mistakes or stupid coding on my part that gave me an idea for a cool effect. It may not be much of a game yet as there are no objectives, but it means a lot to me as the joy that coding it brought me has solidified my desire to be an indie game dev and make a career of that.

TL;DR
To quote the maker of the game Forager:
"I hope you love this game as much as I do"

P#67275 2019-09-05 12:36

Hey guys,

There's an Alakajam! event scheduled for the 20-22th September week-end!

The event is an online gamedev competition where people make a game from scratch over 48 hours. Start/end times are suited to European timezones (7pm UTC), also both the theme and the winners are decided by the community! As I write the theme submission phase is about to start, and you will be able to suggest ideas for one week. The full jam works this way:

You can discover the winners from the last jams here</a>. For the record the very first jam was actually won by a PICO-8 entry :) The achievement has not been renewed yet, it's up to you guys!

More than the thrill of the competition, a cool thing is that all games are getting valuable feedback their games thanks to our voting/comment system.

If you're interested feel free to check in, we also have a Discord & an IRC chan. See you there!

P#67270 2019-09-05 07:43 ( Edited 2021-09-06 19:42)
View Older Posts