Follow
Phume
[ :: Read More :: ]

Dear Pico-8 Community,

The darker colour palette should be available without fiddling with memory or coming up with detour functions.

@BoneVolt @Krystman
(via YouTube and such... not dissing! You guys are great <3)

Palette switches were cute,
but this whole schebang has flopped into an inefficient knot (as far as I can tell).

...I wish that first-time-carts from total amateurs (like me) could also use "dark-brown", lol.
...And that expert carts don't all use ~double the amount of available colours.

Perhaps I don't understand the memory limitations.
And I do appreciate (and want to preserve) the elegance of "0-15"/Proof of concept/Simplicity didactics etc..

But the cats' been out of the bag for a while.

@zep could you please greenlight "night mode" [EDIT: in the UI or functions].
Maybe its impossible at this rate. Maybe it wasn't intended this way.

Dunno. Shäre ur thoughts...

Trying to be constructive. Or did I miss something?
It's a super interesting subject, feels almost political.
Happy new year.

x Phume

EDIT: link to @shy 's cool devkit menu experiment https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=41032

P#86004 2021-01-01 05:54 ( Edited 2021-01-11 19:54)

I'm making a sexy little 16x16 sprite editor with playback and more that should rely on the D-Pad and Buttons. Doing so mainly for use on the Retroflag-GPi case, or any other handheld.

IMPORTANT!
SAVE FUNCTIONS STILL VERY BASIC

Cart #animate-14 | 2021-01-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

UPDATE 11.01.21

• Added Move-tool
  • Added Palette-swapper
  • Added Tooltips on hover (disable in menu)
  • Added Save (cart overwrite? dunno?)
  • Added Export Spritesheet
  • Added Clear All (Default Empty Project)
  • Improved usability/ button press consistency

TO DO

• Improved Menu Items / File related Functions
  • Nerf the Mouse
  • Subtle Sound effects
  • General Debugging

Give it a go!
Any help/advice/ideas appreciated.

x Phume

thanks to @tjbynum, @paloblancogames, @shy, @mischa_u

P#85942 2020-12-30 21:29 ( Edited 2021-01-11 22:32)

Cart #last_smoke-2 | 2020-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls: USE ARROW KEYS FOR SUBTLE GRAVITY.

Wanted to share my first proper pico project.
About having only one cigarette left (or not...? what?!)

I used this to make a music video for my band (see youtube embed). DISCLAIMER->GERMAN MUSIC

At the moment it's more of a demo/screensaver, but I would like to turn it into a minigame, or a system of mini games ; if there's fun in it somewhere. So i'm open to ideas :-)

Was thinking of the trope of an "alien brood mother" spitting out mini enemy's. (pack -> cigarettes)
And chaotic controls like only being able to apply gravity/momentum to all objects.

The physics engine is relatively sturdy, except for the lack of Separating_Axis_Theorem, some minor tunnelling and items getting trapped in each other.

I used Chris Heckers impulse physics articles from the 90s and a dynamically subdivided "intra-frame-crawl-while-loop-thingy" to resolve collisions chronologically. and the "Pool hall lessons" article on gamasutra for early false returns (which should be followed by an S.A.T. check which I have yet to write...) So could be waaaay more efficient.

Glad to share some cleaned up functions if anyone needs them (though the code is pretty legible).
important: USES METATABLE CHANGES FOR VECTOR MATH!! (see tab 4 / --metatables--)

Shoutout to the community for the amazing and helpful threads, and specially to lazydev @Krystman for his fantastic (and very funny) youtube series (LG aus Kölle).

Hope you get a giggle out of this one.

Merry Christmas,
Phume

P#85769 2020-12-25 13:50 ( Edited 2020-12-25 20:02)

Hallo Pico People,

Loving it here. First post!

So i'm working on a 2D physics based collision engine.

...Imagine a whole bunch of polygons flying around, wrapped in AABBs (axis aligned bounding boxes)...

And I was wondering if this was a legit/efficient way to check if Two Edges/Line-Segments Intersect.

1. Treat them as AABBs and check if those overlap, is so keep the "resulting mini rectangle".
-->otherwise abort

2. Treat them as Linear-Functions (infinite strait lines) and check if they are parallel, if NOT determine the resulting "point of intersection"
--otherwise abort

3. check if the "point of intersection" is inside the "resulting mini rectangle".
--return that point, otherwise abort

--do segments intersect? if so where?

function segments(a,b)

local r=overlap(to_rect(a),
                 to_rect(b))

if(not r)return false                

local pt=intersection(a,b)

if(not pt)return false   

if(in_rect(pt,r))return pt

return false  

end

Lets assume the sub-functions (which I haven't included) are squeaky clean, its more about the idea...
Have to say it works a charm at the moment, even on weird concave polygons. But I could be going mad.

Any tips? Would it be easier on the CPU to use dot/cross product stuff? Am I missing something?

Luv, Phume

ps. here's a drawing

P#82711 2020-10-08 18:34 ( Edited 2020-10-08 19:58)