Follow
ville111
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #picopac-1 | 2023-07-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Yes, it's another Pac-Man clone. But a pretty cool one, I think.

This actually started development in 2020, but I never finished it, until now. If I were to make it again from scratch, I would probably do some things very differently, but I think the end result is nonetheless pretty good.

I'm especially happy with how the game looks. I used a lot of palette swapping in this game because I wanted to have that "neon" look from Pac-Man Championship Edition (my personal favourite). I also added some pseudo-3D effects, particles and level transition effects to make it look more interesting. I tried to make sure that the movement feels as good as possible, and I think I succeeded pretty well.

This game plays close to traditional Pac-Man, but with some key differences. While the ghosts behave similarly to the original, they do not start from the middle but instead they have their own corners. This game also has two different mazes (alternating) and you have the ability to jump over ghosts (but not walls!) three times per level (do this with X button). There's also a time limit, although it's not very strict until later levels. Levels get harder the further you get, so expect ghosts to move faster and power pellets to run out faster.

That's about it. I'd gladly hear some feedback, so feel free to share!

P#113679 2022-06-26 15:13 ( Edited 2023-07-22 12:19)

Cart #blockmuncher_ville111-1 | 2022-06-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is an older project that I made sometime ago but never quite finished. So I decided to finally finish it and post it here (I have lots of random projects that I never finished, maybe I'll post them later).

Anyway, this is a pretty simple game where you need to "munch" blocks by pressing corresponding button (left, right, up, down, X and O). Basically something you would expect to see in a Mario Party game. If you don't eat the blocks fast enough or make misinputs, your health bar will go down. The game gets harder as it goes.

In the start menu there are options to turn screenshake on/off and also to turn rubble particles on/off. Not much else to say, it's a very simple game. But even then, I'm happy how the conveyor belt looks, it took a lot of trial and error.

P#113657 2022-06-26 08:28 ( Edited 2022-06-26 08:38)

Cart #tetrachess_ver4-0 | 2021-04-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Is it Tetris, or maybe chess? Kind of both, but actually neither. Nonetheless, this is a game about strategy and sacrifice, borrowing notes from both Tetris and chess.

Tetrachess is a puzzle game in which your goal is to capture the AI opponent's chess pieces using your own chess pieces, following chess rules. However, the board is not like in chess at all. You have to drop Tetris blocks (tetriminos) containing the opposing chess pieces to the playfield. After you have dropped a tetrimino, it's time to move your chess pieces. You can capture the opposing chess pieces, earning you points, or you can eat the garbage blocks, cleaning up the playfield. After your own turn, the opponent moves their own chess pieces, potentially capturing yours.

Capturing the opposing pieces is required for getting points, but in this game it's also important to keep the playfield clean, in order to not reach the top. This is because there are two conditions for a defeat: if the Tetris blocks reach the top of the playfield, or if your king gets captured.

Controls:

In Tetris phase:

• Left/right: move the piece left/right
  • Cross/Circle (X/Z): rotate the piece clockwise/counter clockwise
  • Up: Hard drop
  • Down: Soft drop

In chess phase:

• Left/right/up/down: move the reticle
  • X: choose the chess piece to be moved and after moving it to the target, press again to move the piece

Tips:

• Two of the bottom rows are safe. This means that you can't destroy them with Tetris moves. Be careful, as on the other rows you can even destroy your own chess pieces!
  • Like in chess, you can promote your pawns into a more valuable chess pieces (knight, bishop, rook, king, queen) if you get them high enough on the board. In this game, you can even have multiple kings on the playfield (could be useful just in case your previous king dies, I guess).
  • You can clear a line by filling the last spot with a chess move. Completely empty rows will be deleted and everything on top of it will be dropped down.
  • T-spins also work. However, note that doing fancy Tetris moves or clearing lines of garbage blocks will not give you points. Only captured or destroyed chess pieces give you points.
  • Points given are: 1 (pawn), 2 (knight), 3 (rook, bishop), 4 (king, queen)

Feedback will be highly appreciated!

Updates:
(2.4.2021) Made a very quick fix (hopefully) fixing a crash
(5.4.2021) Reversed the rotation buttons and added a small delay before enemy movement

P#89880 2021-04-02 20:12 ( Edited 2021-04-05 07:27)

Cart #graph_adventure-1 | 2019-07-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's a project I've been working on. It started as a simple viewer for different graphs, but then it turned into a platformer. The game is fully playable, but it needs some additional content, which is why I put it under Work in Progress.

What makes this project interesting is the fact that I didn't use any sprites or the map editor at all. Every stage is constructed using functions. Funtions can be very powerful for setting collision, as this way you can make pretty much any shape you want. You can also make the terrain dynamic and depend on time. I also added some simple physics into the game, utilising the difference in values of the function for the ball to gain some speed, but it could definitely be better. It's a bit slippery, but I wanted the ball to have some sense of momentum.

I hope you enjoy the game! There is not much content yet, but I'll update it later (I should probably add some audio too). Any feedback is welcome!

P#65900 2019-07-17 10:08 ( Edited 2019-07-17 10:22)

Cart #momiyihijo-0 | 2019-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Just a small test that I made for fun. I've always been interested in programming some sort of graphing calculator, but never attempted it. Well, this is one step closer. I made a viewer that draws 14 different functions. You can also zoom in and out to get a better view of the function.

It would be cool to make something that actually allowed you to input your own function, but that is a project for another day. I also wanted to add option to move around the coordinate system, but lack of buttons made that difficult.

Anyway, I hope someone gets something out of this. At least I had fun coding it. :)

P#65767 2019-07-11 18:15 ( Edited 2019-07-11 18:20)

Cart #53445 | 2018-06-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is a small game (more like a demo) that I made. I'm still learning how to use PICO-8, but I've done some good progress already.

I decided to go for isometric style, because these sort of pseudo-3D games fascinate me. Sure, there's lots of room for improvement, but I think it looks pretty cool! The movement is currently grid-based, but that may change in the future.

I would be glad to hear comments and suggestions for improvements! Just keep in mind that I'm still getting used to the PICO-8 and don't know how to do some advanced stuff. Anyway, have fun!

UPDATE [10.6.2018]
I've updated the game. Hooray!

Now the game has way more depth thanks to the inclusion of different sorts of terrain (like brick walls) and also ladders. You can climb ladders with X. I also added buttons that can have lots of different uses. Currently they're used to disable roadblocks, but it's just a start. I also changed how signs work. Now you have to stand in front of them and press X to interact with them. The signs also have a collision so that you can't just walk through them!

I'd appreciate any sort of feedback! Thank you in advance!

P#53135 2018-05-31 13:27 ( Edited 2018-06-10 16:52)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 21:08:53 | 0.106s | Q:28