Revision 3 released 9/12/21
- swapped order of frog and pig spells
- adjusted jump height of frog and pig spells; it should now be impossible to skip either spell
- revised the map to accommodate these changes
- minor bug fixes
Revision 2 released 8/1/20
- Added title screen
- Lots of refactoring that mostly doesn't affect gampeplay
- Gave it an actual name!
Revision 1 released 6/19/20
- Added music and sound
Edit: Because people seemed to enjoy this game, I'm moving it to "work in progress" and now plan to actually finish it! I'm also adding some references to the end of this post for where I got some of the programming ideas from. (Unfortunately I haven't kept good records of everything, but I will update as I find sources.)
This is my first game. I made it a couple summers ago while I was unemployed. I had plans to make it more polished, but, well... I got a job lol. I finally decided to upload it as-is. A couple things I realized while testing it just now:
- there's no victory screen; just know that when you reach the door that looks like it leads outdoors, that's the end of the game.
- there's a whole section of the game that turned out to be unintentionally optional. whoops
A couple programming highlights (which may actually be terrible; I'm not exactly a programmer):
- pixel-by-pixel collisions checks (starting at line 847)
- class inheritance system (starting at line 145)
- algorithmically generated whip graphics, which tbh are a mess but were interesting to try and figure out (starting at line 1114)
- map initiation: maps are drawn with a single brick tile, which is then replaced with the proper side and corner sprites as appropriate (starting at line 1221)
Let me know what you think!
omg your pigs are so cute!!
ahem...with that out of the way, yes, your game has a wonderful aesthetic. i really like how you animated each sprite especially the spells. also changing the color of the witch's palette to indicate spells was a great choice! i couldn't help but start saying 'you go pig now!' while rocking my pink duds as i made the guards into the cutest porkers around.
what a treat of a game! as others mentioned, sound and music would put this over the top. regardless, i'm really glad you shared this for us all to enjoy. thank you!
Very fun, cute concept, spells are great, and I'm going to jump on the bandwagon (pig-wagon?) that piggy trampolines are just the freakin' best. ;-)
I think I missed something though, because I ended up with an extra key and wasn't able to reach the exit door. Will try again when I have more time. Thanks for sharing!
Hey all! I've added a title screen. Still no victory screen and I haven't fixed the fact that one of the spells is accidentally optional. Once that's done I'll probably consider this 'finished,' so I'd love some feedback before then!
I was thinking of replacing the frog spell with one where you become a frog yourself instead of turning enemies into frogs. Could add some variety to the gameplay, but might also be a pain to actually do.
ETA: oh yeah and I renamed it something more memorable
Thanks for the feedback! That's right, I forgot--the way I programmed the spells, it assumes you get them in a particular order. I think I switched the order but didn't change the level design to match it yet. The frog spell ended up being accidentally optional, because they both have basically the same effect--which is why I was thinking of making the frog spell turn yourself into a frog, rather than turning enemies into frogs.
Yes, and the idea of turning people into frogs is what inspired the whole game to begin with. I'm not getting rid of the pig spell though, it's the best one! The fact that it's OP is why I'm moving it to be the last spell.
Adding something totally different could be interesting though!
update: i'm working on this again! some of the major bugs identified in this thread haven't been fixed yet, e.g. there is still no victory screen (but it should be obvious enough when you've made it to the end). but i swapped the spell order and adjusted the jump heights a bit so that all spells are now necessary. i've replicated the "getting stuck in mid-air" bug and it's on my list.
[Please log in to post a comment]