Revision 2 released 8/1/20
- Added title screen
- Lots of refactoring that mostly doesn't affect gampeplay
- Gave it an actual name!
Revision 1 released 6/19/20
- Added music and sound
Edit: Because people seemed to enjoy this game, I'm moving it to "work in progress" and now plan to actually finish it! I'm also adding some references to the end of this post for where I got some of the programming ideas from. (Unfortunately I haven't kept good records of everything, but I will update as I find sources.)
This is my first game. I made it a couple summers ago while I was unemployed. I had plans to make it more polished, but, well... I got a job lol. I finally decided to upload it as-is. A couple things I realized while testing it just now:
- there's no victory screen; just know that when you reach the door that looks like it leads outdoors, that's the end of the game.
- there's a whole section of the game that turned out to be unintentionally optional. whoops
A couple programming highlights (which may actually be terrible; I'm not exactly a programmer):
- pixel-by-pixel collisions checks (starting at line 847)
- class inheritance system (starting at line 145)
- algorithmically generated whip graphics, which tbh are a mess but were interesting to try and figure out (starting at line 1114)
- map initiation: maps are drawn with a single brick tile, which is then replaced with the proper side and corner sprites as appropriate (starting at line 1221)
Let me know what you think!