Cart [#picotetris-3#] | Code | 2019-04-21 | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA | Embed

Cart [#picotetris-2#] | Code | 2019-04-17 | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA | Embed

Cart [#picotetris-1#] | Code | 2019-04-02 | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA | Embed

Cart [#picotetris-0#] | Code | 2019-04-02 | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA | Embed

Another Tetris clone, I know :P

Have been working on a Tetris clone for a while now, and even though I don't consider it finished yet, I wanted to upload it, so here it is!

It has a relatively simple aesthetic (basically because I'm too lazy to figure out animations :P) animations now, with multiple sprites to select from. There are about 7 8 modes right now, most of them similar to each other.

Gameplay wise, it is has fast DAS (you can adjust that in the options menu though), Standard Rotation System, Kicks, and a steep difficulty curve.

In the last few versions, I have also implemented highscores, automatic saving of options and other stuff. I'm too lazy to describe it all, just look for yourself if you want to :)

Controls:

• ⬅️/➡️
    -shift Tetromino

• ⬇️
    -soft drop Tetromino

• ⬆️
    -hard drop Tetromino (locking by default, can be toggled in options)

• ❎/🅾️
    -ccw/cw rotation (can be inverted in options)

• ❎+🅾️
    -hold

Modes:

• Infinite

• There is no winning condition, you just go on until you top out or you get bored
  • Marathon

• Game ends after you cleared 150 lines
  • Sprint

• You have 2 minutes to clear as many lines as you can
  • Garbage

• When you start the game, the well is filled with 15 lines of garbage, clear them all as fast as possible
  • Combo

• The well is filled with walls of garbage left and right, making combos incredibly easy
      (beware the I piece though, it may spawn across the opening and top you out immediately :D )
  • Master

• Marathon mode, but 20G (Tetrominoes hit the floor instantly)
  • Invisible

• Yeah good luck with that one, idk why I even implemented it
  • Secret Grade

• It's a secret, don't you dare look it up

Screenshots:

Title screen

Options menu

Standard mode, standard sprites, standard everything

Alternate sprites, don't like these as much

This one's so good

Here is an image of garbage mode, with another good set of sprites (btw theres a rounded version of this one too)

This is what combo mode looks like

The mode that you shall not play

Changelog

• Added Secret Grade mode
    • Changed Combo mode so walls are rebuilt as you clear lines
    • Combo mode ends if you drop the combo
    • Small changes to how hold works

• Different mode descriptions
    • Automatic saving and loading of options and highscores
    • Highscore menu, with option to delete all scores
    • Mini Tetrominoes in preview can now use the downscaled preview sprite
    • Changed game over screen to show your score if appropriate
    • Probably a bunch of other minor stuff I lost track of

• Mostly animations: for line clears, hard drops, backgrounds
    • Forgot about any other changes, probably just minor stuff

What I plan for v1.0

• Proper game over screen, with stats relevant to the mode you have been playing
  • Saving names with scores
  • Actually getting points for combos
  • T-spins (if I ever figure out how to recognize them)
  • More modes?
  • More sprites?
  • More options?
  • Making higher levels more difficult (lower lock delay/no ghost/...)
  • Use down arrow for locking if hard drop is set to non-locking behaviour
  • Change background color on higher levels
  • Alternate set of sfx?
  • Show highscore of current mode

Any feedback and recommendations welcome! <3
(Especially for sfx, I'm kinda unsure about those)

P#63193 2019-04-02 18:34 ( Edited 2019-04-21 13:58)

As a huge Tetris fan, this has been my favorite Pico-8 tetris clone so far! It's got a whole bunch of modes and options that I love. I think I see a bunch of TGM influences, too. :p
Here are my recommendations:
When locking hard drop is turned off, let down be the lock button instead.
In invisible mode, show the playfield in all its holey glory when the game is over.
Make line clears a bit more flashy! Add some particle effects or something, have fun with it :p

P#63370 2019-04-10 03:44

Sometimes I think up is the rotate button when it's actually hard-drop!

P#63448 2019-04-12 12:10

Amazing Tetris clone, has everything people want in a classic Tetris game (and some, with the extra sprites). :)

Also, "relaxing game of Tetris" can be an oxymoron sometimes, can't it?

P#63482 2019-04-13 21:30

Thanks, glad y'all like it :D

@Actually_Ed great recommendations!
So what you're saying is, if hard drop doesn't lock, make soft drop lock? (if the Tetromino is on the floor ofc)
Also I had big plans with animation, like line clears, screen fades or shakes, a prettier menu, but I'm close to hitting both compressed size and token limits, I don't know how much more I can implement and what to give up first :/

P#63615 2019-04-17 14:40

WOW! This is seriously one of the best Tetris versions I've ever seen, no joke. I specially love the animations you added in 0.9.5, it makes it so satisfying to play. The only thing I miss from other Tetris versions is the ability to save a tetrimino for later, but I understand that it's a PICO-8 limitation that you only have two buttons.

Did you base your animations in some resource out there, or did you come up with them on your own?

P#63778 2019-04-21 19:55

@DavidMazarro thank you! I also noticed I like it so much more now, even though core gameplay hasn't changed a bit - fascinating what a few simple animations can do, right?

About coming up with them on my own - depends on what you mean. Some were inspired by other games, though I didn't closely copy any one, some I just thought "Hey what if I did this thing, how would that look, lets try". Then I just enabled all at once and realized how well the swoosh and the crumble animations fit together, it looks like a Tetromino-seeking laser now :D

Also, you can actually do that, you need to press both buttons at once (that is what "hold" in the top left corner means). I guess I'll put a small hint in the game, thanks for pointing that out!

P#63781 2019-04-21 20:51 ( Edited 2019-04-22 10:39)

@Vanessa Ohh, I see! Then this is pretty much perfect!

Some suggestion I thought of: it would be cool to have some background pictures for the play area where tetriminos fall. Though maybe it would be better to prioritise other things, knowing that you're already reaching the token limit.

P#63783 2019-04-21 21:17

@DavidMazarro A still background would be doable, it would primarily take sprite/map space and a few tokens for the map() call, I'm just not sure if I could come up with something fitting (although that's what kept me from trying animations so long and they turned out fine)

The other thing is that I think backgrounds might be distracting for some people, yet I don't have the tokens left for an animations/backgrounds menu :/

Perhaps I'll just try and see how it turns out, thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: ok so this is probably not what you had in mind, but I just tried putting in a grid (along with new ghost colors) and this is what it looks like:

I'm really not sure yet if I like it, especially with that leftmost column, and the ghost piece looking less like a shadow now (leaving it dark grey makes it melt into the grid lines)

P#63827 2019-04-22 10:38 ( Edited 2019-04-22 12:18)

@Vanessa Yeah, once again when I was thinking of a background, I had in mind something with dim colors, but I didn't consider the restricted color palette of the PICO-8.

I think the grid is cool, maybe you should allow in the options to turn it on/off, but I definitely like it :)

P#63884 2019-04-23 16:13

Wow, this is much more eye-candy and features than my Tetris clone! I think I can learn how to do proper animations here, too. Thanks for the great cart!

P#63887 2019-04-23 16:48

[Please log in to post a comment]

About | Contact | Updates | Terms of Use
Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2019-04-24 00:05 | 0.077s | 4194k | Q:78