Skulldude doesn't remember much, he just feels a deep soul-burning hatred towards the slimes. Help him unleash his wrath as he storms the slimes' dungeon increasing his fiery power as he goes.
- <z> - shoot fire, hold to auto-fire and move slow
- <x> - dash forward/become invulnerable for a little bit
- arrow keys/d-pad - move around
- Dashing can go through enemies and their bullets. Learn to use it well, it's critical during boss fights.
- Finishing all enemies in a room makes that room cleared even if you die.
- Look for suspicious pixels on the map to find secrets.
- The game can be finished in less than 10 minutes, how fast can you do it?
- a flaming skull dude
- 32 rooms filled with lots of slimes, power-ups and secrets
- 4 boss fights
- lot of bullets
Full Map Cheat:
This is my entry to the #3cjam, it was a lot of fun working on it. Special thanks to enargy for organizing it and the rest of the pico-8 community for being all around plain awesome!
In case it's not obvious, the original Zelda was the main influence making this game.
Enjoy and please don't heasitate to send feedback my way!
Update 1.01 (11/9/2017):
- upgrade menu now waits a second before a selection can be made, should avoid accidental selections
- unreachable pickup orbs are now persisted between sessions
- front end doesn't go crazy anymore after a little while
@MBoffin I just watched your run... I liked how you progressively learned to use the dash to your advantage in different situations. There are a few little secrets you missed here and there but overall pretty good run (I was actually cheering for you on that last boss fight :D).
Very nice !
On the level where the baddies are shooting, might be beneficial when player is shooting to lock direction they are shooting if they hold the button and use the arrow keys to navigate.
Called STRAFING. You can see an example program of this type of shooting posted HERE:
Then you can move up, down, left, and right, but still continue to shoot in the last direction you chose as long as the firing button is held.
I like the "bobbing" method too when skullboy walks. I was just thinking of this today to "animate" single image sprites for motion.
Thanks for the feedback, guys!
David, back when I wrote this game (about a year ago) I experimented with many different control schemes including something similar to the strafing scheme you mention. The way it currently works is that if you're at shooting from a valid range from a target and you hold down the button, the target is aimed-at automatically (called auto-aim), in a sense, it's a kind of strafing, definitely easier for the user so they can focus on dodging the bullets by dashing and maneuvering.
Auto aim ! Oh wow I never got that far. I was always keeping my distance trying to shoot and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.
Get closer ... Oh, I see what you did here. Nice ! Yes, that's even better. Like the heat-seeking weapon you have in many shooters, it goes right after the target.
Well, with this in mind, I should give it another go.
Log in to post a comment