My first pico-8 game and as well Tiny-TV Jam submission. :D
This is the very known Tetris that everyone remembers back in the days when they had a Game Boy.
It differs a bit from the classic due to certain limitations of the compo such as 10x11 resolution... and time... and reasons.
Highscore is actually implemented but the numbers can be a bit hard to read. (solved in v1.3)
Lastly, the music and gameboy movement can be toggled in pause menu.
changes in v1.3
- fixed music a-theme...again (thanks gradualgames)
- since compo is long over added a few rules-breaking features:
- ::: enabled on/off gimmick by default (was off because of rules)
- ::: added overlay text for score, etc.
You can disable those features by setting them to "false" inside the code near the top.
changes in v1.2:
- fixed music a-theme (thanks kittenm4ster)
- fixed title screen theme
changes in v1.1:
- added music b-theme
- cleaned gfx sheet
- discarded demomode
- changed gryph "2" to not be easily confuse with "7"
- initial release
Thanks everyone for the good feedback ;)
I've updated the game with an additional music: B-Type.
So now there's 2 musics to choose from the original.
Also decided to discard demonstration mode (It really doesn't add anything into the entry).
The entry is pretty much all ready!
@Liquidream: Should be, I've composed the sfx & bgm from listening the real gameboy tetris side by side.
@TastyEnchilada: At least yours have colors! :P
@add: Great! My first NDS homebrew was a snake clone too. It was called 5nake
Amazing recreation of the sfx and music from the original!
I did notice (just going from memory) one small error in the music (A), in the middle section: the harmony is supposed to alternate between the i chord and the V chord every 4 beats, but you have it staying on the i chord through almost that whole section, it sounds like. Besides that, this is quite an impressive transcription!
@kittenm4ster: Well spotted! Did left on same chord because the 2nd part was too acute. When playing all together the 1st part sounded fine but the other sounded awful like an ambulance for some weird reason...
Couldn't find what was wrong because the notes did resonate properly with the original so thought it was Pico-8 mixer doing something funny (Pico-8 "PSG" has really poor audio quality and range).
Now when revisioned the music again by listening the whole score carefully i've noticed that actually my mistake is not from the 2nd part but from the 1st part: The bass started 1 octave higher at the very first beat (doh!).
So thanks for pointing that out ;)
I attempted to add Music C (from the gameboy game as well) this evening, but I ran out of sfx to build it with. I think I maybe only needed 4 or so more or it could have fit. Too bad. Maybe it's possible with a multi-cart somehow? Or maybe with some trickery and writing to music ram or something?
Sadly the forum don't notify new posts so missed the few last posts... :/
Hardly believe is been over year... how time fly!
@Jupiter_Hadley: I know it's very late by now but thanks for the review!
@TheTomster: Agreed, sadly some of the entries did rotation so violently or extreme that they were much better off without rotation at all... a bit of a shame :/
@gradualgames: Yeah, that's why I've didn't included Music C, there another solution by writing from string/map to sfx memory but that's rather annoying to do and not worth much the troubles.
Multi-cart is possible but sadly is not supported by the BBS yet.
Are you sure about the wrong notes? Apart of the wrong chord that were in v1.1 the notes seems to be correct (Or else kittenm4ster should easily caught those mistakes too), did you actually compared side by side with an emulator or the real system? (The emulator is better since it can silent certain sound channels) ... trusting from memory alone isn't reliable at all (... speaking from experience too!)
And yes, you can submit and I will take a look ( ... well, more like take a listen... :P ).
You can upload the modified cartridge only and then link that cartridge into your post inside this topic.
Well, that's embarrassing but you're absolutely right... I've thought that fully fixed the chord but apparently only partially in the v1.2.0 that uploaded (only the octave shift in another part is there)... Ops! o.o'
Must had done an incomplete copy & pasta since I've composed each tunes in a different .p8 file and then joined together in the game. (For some stupid reason did patched on the music p8 instead of the game directly and performed another pointless copy & paste lines around .p8 files... yeah, silly, i know... facepalm)
The worse was... the chord difference is so subtle to hear on the noisy pico-8 mixer that I've ended up not catching the mistake before uploading and after that... argh! ... -.-'
... anyway, thank you for your fixed cartridge and hopefully the Music-A is fixed for good in v1.3! ;P
While at it decided to dedicate a little free time to add a few more features too, so, enjoy! ;)
Btw, it's possible to upload cartridges without creating new topics if you didn't knew... I've suggested to post your fix here in this topic because some moderators really dislike duplicated topics.
@kikendo: recorded the SFX from the emulator (the audio waves comes more sharp and unfiltered than the real hardware and individual channels can be muted) into a .wav file.
Then you can use Audacity for example which is free to open and analyze the waves more closely and check the timing and frequency of each note, then is all about listening and adjustments until both SFXs sound alike!
@gradualgames: I'll have to admit that was pretty confused on the first times I've uploaded cartridges too... ;P
[Please log in to post a comment]