Web
Analytics

Cart [#57321#] | Copy | Code | 2018-09-30 | Link

Controls

Menu: Z to start game.

Game: Left-click to create white blood cells (while you have reserves which you can see in the bottom left corner).

Mechanics

Deploy the white blood cells near the red blood cells and they will automatically move to protect them from green bacteria invasions. Sometimes white blood cells get confused which red cell to protect when two are close together, so you might have to keep some in reserve to protect a lonely red cell in an emergency.

White blood cells and bacteria both change colour as their HP runs out. Red cells have their HP shown in orange just underneath them. Bacteria will lose HP even from hurting a red cell. Try to keep the four red cells you have alive as long as you can!

Commentary

Last month's ant game made me want to play around more with 'thinking' things and the easiest way to do that is with more mouse input. I think I did a slightly worse job this time to be honest, but I didn't have as clear an idea of what I was going for. But it is fun to just blast new white blood cells at a problem.

Hope you have fun playing around with this silly thing. Don't use it as a reference in a biology paper please, I have NO idea what I'm doing.

itch.io page: here.

#onegameamonth September 2018

blood biology rts
P#57322 2018-09-30 19:30

Cart [#55896#] | Copy | Code | 2018-08-30 | Link

Controls

Game: Z to create ant (costs 3 food), left-click to drop scent (guides ants), right-click to remove scent.

Mechanics
Extremely basic cat-herding strategy game - you have to keep your ants going towards the food (using scent, or waiting for them to find it for themselves). Once they spot food they will grab it and return it to the anthill.

Commentary
This started after I wanted to make something that had entities just doing their own thing in the game world. I remembered a section of Will McGugan's Pygame book (https://www.apress.com/gp/book/9781590598726) where he builds a little ant/insect simulation using simple checks for behaviour. I decided to give that a try, without actually referencing his book to see how it worked! But I managed to get the ants moving easily enough, finding food and returning it to the hill, and eventually picking random goal points so that they were not jittering around when not 'on mission'.​ Then I wanted to add more stuff, at the same time being frustrated waiting for the ants to find food sometimes, so I put in a thing where the player could use the mouse to drop a scent trail and thereby guide the ants in the right direction. Finally I wanted a threat to the ants, and I figured a bird would be appropriate, but didn't want it to be too punishing. I settled on a bird that would only prowl the edges of the play field. The only loss condition is when you have no ants left, and not enough food to make another ant. But it's not really a game you're 'supposed' to lose at. It's just a fun thing to play around with. Amusingly, you can 'micro' or 'macro' the ants if you are used to that kind of play from actual RTS games - leave a scent trail sitting near some food and wait for the ants to find it, or click quickly near an ant, dropping one scent after another and slowly dragging it in the right direction.
I'm really happy with how neatly this came together! Hope you enjoy!
Lexaloffle BBS thread: here.

#1GAM August 2018

ants simulation rts
P#55897 2018-08-30 18:55 ( Edited 2018-09-03 16:16)

Cart [#54561#] | Copy | Code | 2018-07-31 | Link

Controls

Game: X to pump coffee press (make coffee), Z to pour coffee into nearby mugs

Mechanics
Sort of a very small diner dash game. You have a coffee press which magically restores coffee when pumped (X). But it only holds 4 pours and you need 2 pours to fill a cup! Keep that pump hand ready!

Commentary
I spent lots and lots of time in this game's file, and it sure doesn't look it. I threw away several different ideas before landing at this, but it came out surprisingly well. Play as 'Patrick' trying to serve that good coffee to absent customers. If you care about your results, try to do it fast and without spilling (overfilling) any! The game is themed off a Waypoint Radio podcast episode title, simply, 'Pump-Action Patrick'.

#1GAM July 2018

Waypoint Community Game Jam 2 (Big Boy Season)

P#54562 2018-07-31 19:37 ( Edited 2018-09-30 17:12)

Cart [#53916#] | Copy | Code | 2018-07-02 | Link

​Controls

Game: Z to jump, X to restart from game over screen.

Mechanics
Super simple runner game. Jump over ditches and fences, don't jump over grass. Following these rules will increase your score.

Commentary
Another project-heavy month - I actually finished a GodotEngine game, but it was basically their tutorial game so probably not worth sharing. Also Pride here was right at the end of the month and that took a lot of time out of games stuff. So I tried to be kind to myself and let this slip into the grace period, and I feel good for doing it. Pretty happy with the cow sprite, the others aren't my favourite work but they serve pretty fine. Please enjoy!

#1GAM June 2018

P#53917 2018-07-02 18:13

Cart [#53148#] | Copy | Code | 2018-05-31 | Link

Controls

Game: Left/right arrows to move fan. Z to blow puffs of air, X to add more seeds (falling from above).

Mechanics
Dandelion seeds are falling and you can decide how you want them to land! Blow them directly up by sending puffs of air from right below them, or move them left and right by blowing air past one side! When they land they will turn into lovely dandelions. You start with 5 seeds and you can add more any time by pressing X.

Commentary
I've worked on no fewer than 4 projects this month, I think. But I'm really happy I got this one done in the end - it was a bit last minute as many months go, but it feels so pure and nice to play with the dandelion seeds and get your little garden just so. I also decided quite late on that it would be a #nogameovers game. At first it was going to be that the first dandelion seed landing would freeze the game, play the growth animation and then take you to a game over screen, but this version is way more fun. And anyway, what would be the point of a game over?

#1GAM May 2018

chill garden happyplace dandelion flower
P#53149 2018-05-31 18:43

Cart [#52204#] | Copy | Code | 2018-04-30 | Link

Controls
Menu: Up arrow to go to instructions page. Up arrow again to start game.

Game: Up/down/left/right arrows to move. Z to set off green shockwave, X to set off blue shockwave.

Mechanics
Shockwaves will sweep away the rocks of the same colour, but your ship is vulnerable to either kind so you had better sweep carefully! Watch the cooldown marker in the bottom left corner.

Commentary
Bah I was doing so well with my 2D board game thing from a few nights ago but I really didn't have enough time to make it happen so this came together just today. It's an awful mess in many ways but came out better than it might have done.

1GAM April 2018

P#52205 2018-04-30 19:01 ( Edited 2018-05-02 18:06)

Cart [#51079#] | Copy | Code | 2018-03-30 | Link

Controls
Menu: X to switch from mouse control (default) to arrow keys. Z to go to instructions page. Z again to start game.

Game: Move mouse (default) or use L/R arrow keys to rotate ship. Z to thrust (note that you can travel in that direction at that speed indefinitely once you are moving).

Mechanics
Every time you are near a planet, a line will guide you to it. (Or to the nearest planet if there are several.)

Every time you pass over a planet, you might collect resources from the detritus floating around it - fuel, minerals, or both. The fuel will keep you going longer. Minerals are just for bragging rights. Planets are also marked with a V for 'visited'.

Try to visit as many planets and collect as many minerals as you can before running out of fuel.

If you're really lucky the speed and direction you're travelling when you run out of fuel will take you over a planet that has fuel, and you can continue on, but you can also give up if you don't want to wait and see.

Commentary
Finally did a Big Thing (or a relatively Big Thing) with my vector line drawing stuff in PICO-8. I am calling this mess 8STROKE and will probably make more games with it in future, although maybe not for a while because this was a lot of work. Nonetheless I am getting in on time and with plenty of nice-to-haves done! Very happy.

#1GAM March 2018

space vector
P#51080 2018-03-30 19:40

Cart [#49811#] | Copy | Code | 2018-02-28 | Link

Controls
Z to start. Arrows move the bear.

Commentary
I got tangled in a dirty web of vector rotation when I was working on this month's game, and it so distracted me that I never actually worked on the other parts of the game...so instead, I threw this together in two days! Just like I always seem to do.
Nonetheless I think it's pretty good. You play as a bear who's just woken up from hibernation to a snowy landscape with no grass! Have to clear that up so grass can grow and spring can really begin.
There's no real fail state in this game, but it happens in moves - you'll continue in a straight line as long as you're moving over unbroken snow. But it's fun to try and complete levels in the shortest time possible. To be fair, I wasn't able to create as many or as clever levels as I had hoped, but if you're interested you should be able to add some easily by editing the file. If not, just enjoy the 7 levels already there!

itch.io: here

1GAM February 2018

P#49813 2018-02-28 19:47 ( Edited 2018-03-05 15:47)

Cart [#48799#] | Copy | Code | 2018-01-31 | Link

Controls
Z to start. L/R arrows speed up or slow down the glider's horizontal movement (always moving to the right). Use the hot air vents to stay afloat as you float as far as you can. You can stop yourself moving by holding left, in order to rise higher off a particular hot air vent before continuing.

Commentary
I've done 'vector' games before, in the sense of art styles based on the old vector screens, but in PICO-8 at least, I've never really done anything with actual vectors. Can't remember if I've done any attempt at physics either. I kind of attempt both of those in this game.

Gravity, hot air vents, and player input all apply changes (forces?) to the glider character's X and Y vectors, you never press a key and move the glider precisely n pixels. And physics, at least at such a super basic level as this, is not too hard to put together. Gravity adds to the Y vector all the time, unless it is at terminal velocity either up or down. It's probably terrible and unrealistic, but at least it feels more real than what I usually do.

I'm trying to give myself a break with the self-deprecation on my music offerings, but there's no denying that this is a fairly short looped track. Please mute if it's annoying, the game has no sound otherwise because I was too preoccupied with other messing.

#1GAM January 2018

racing
P#48800 2018-01-31 19:10 ( Edited 2018-02-16 16:58)

Cart [#47782#] | Copy | Code | 2017-12-31 | Link

Controls
Z to start. Arrows move the junk bin.

Commentary
I love the idea of seabinproject.com​​. Came across it a while ago and although it might be a case of directing resources at the symptom rather than the disease, I have to admire such a simple idea that seems to work so well. (I did take a little bit of artistic liberty in not requiring it be tied down to a specific point by its electric cable, but a free-floating one of these isn't totally fantastical in fairness.)

I have been working on another game and it's not going to happen today, probably not even this week, despite being simple enough in theory. A lot of learning in this other one, and I'm sick, so I decided to 'give myself a break' and 'only' crunch out something small in a few hours.

Enjoy simulating something that would help the world as you play this game! It's rare enough in games, really, but we all need our escapes as well.

(Comments will actually notify me on itch.io, but not here, so I might be slower to respond to comments here, but I love to hear what people think of my games.)

#1GAM December 2017

simulation arcade sea
P#47783 2017-12-31 18:37

:: More
X
About | Contact | Updates | Terms of Use
Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2018-10-23 12:27 | 0.361s | 1835k | Q:107