Follow
Thelxinoe5
[ :: Read More :: ]

Due to how tabs are saved in the .p8 file format, they can cause overflows into the sprite sheet. Each tab is saved as 6 characters in the .p8 file. However, those are not counted as part of the character limit until the cart is run or saved. If you have a cart that has multiple tabs and is at or just below the character limit, trying to run or save the cart will cause part of the code to overflow into the sprite sheet before giving an error, either "**** save failed ****" when saving or "program exceeds char limit" when running. In testing I've also had Pico-8 completely crash when trying to run a cart whose tabs push it over the character limit, but I was unable to replicate this.

(pico-8 version 0.2.6b)

The best way to solve this in my eyes, is to have each added tab of code add 6 to the character count in the code editor. That way, in the same way it's impossible to type over the character limit, it'd also be impossible to have tabs push over the character limit and overflow into the sprite sheet.

Thank you!

P#147068 2024-04-21 16:59

[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #kasdeja_the_starcatcher-0 | 2023-06-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:

Arrow keys to navigate and move

C to select and jump

X to collect

Remember to check the Settings to adjust your gameplay experience!

Game:

You play as Kasdeja The Starcatcher, a being of the stars. As a star gets shattered by a red comet, it is Kasdeja's goal to find all the star fragments to repair the star, and to restore its light. To do this, Kasdeja will jump and flap its wings to navigate through the scattered platforms in space, before bringing all the fragments to an ancient statue.

Info and credits:

My first real game! I started to learn Pico-8 and coding around a month ago, and after learning the basics I've spent all my time coding working on this game. It's a passion project I've poured my heart and soul into this last month, and I sincerely hope you'll enjoy it!

Game by Thelxinoe5

Big text code by Paloblancogames

Collision and movement code adapted from NerdyTeachers.com

(idk how to use BBS, but I want my game on Splore so I just copied the the description from the game's itch.io page sahfsjffasd)

P#130670 2023-06-08 17:56