Follow
KQl1N

UK-based software engineer with a degree in BSc Computer Video Games.
I'm just using my new Pocket CHIP pico 8 to make some little games.

Thoroughly enjoying the ability to code whilst walking along...

SHOW MORE

Just a quick update:

• I'm still alive. I was uploading updates almost daily at first but now I'm at a point where I needed new enemies and mechanics to expand the level, and I needed an expanded level to showcase the new enemies and mechanics, so I've just added lots and lots of new stuff, to upload all at once.

• There's now health pickups (not many though)

• There are 8 (or 10, not yet decided) golden cups to collect throughout the world. These are a kind of side-objective to officially '100%' the game.

• There are now archers. Lots of archers.

• There's knights. Knights will destroy you pretty quickly and they take a lot of hits. They're quite easy to kill once you get the hang of it though

• The world map is almost entirely complete. I've finished 30 out of the maximum 32 screens.

• There are two new bits of music

• I'm currently working on the final boss room. After having finished this, the game will basically be complete

• I'm toying with the idea of having a menu when you die, that shows stuff like how many cups you've collected, how many enemies you've killed and how many map tiles you've visited on that one particular run, then give you a percentage to show a score of how much you've done. This is so that even if you die early on in the game, you can get numerical proof when you get better at the game.

Not going to upload the newest build until the boss is functional, I think.

That's it really :D Taaa

P#30250 2016-10-07 20:40 ( Edited 2016-11-07 01:02)

SHOW MORE

Cart #29266 | 2016-09-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Another very basic demo of a menu and managing various gamestates.
There are better ways to do it (like an int instead of strings) but this is the most verbose and easy to read.

Even if you know how to do this basic little thing, its handy having copy-paste code material on hand...

P#29267 2016-09-24 11:27 ( Edited 2016-09-30 18:56)

SHOW MORE

This is a very basic example of how to use 'Object-Oriented Programming'.
I thought lua objects were a bit odd when I started using PICO-8 and I know that PICO-8 is used in education sometimes, so maybe this could be useful for someone just starting to code.

Or not _|7o
Who knows

I want to post the code as a snippet too but I'm sure how, without retyping the whole thing. There must be a way to extract the code from the cartridge here, like there is when you're in the actual PICO-8 software....

P#29265 2016-09-24 11:24 ( Edited 2016-09-24 15:24)

SHOW MORE

I want to add two more enemy types to 'Bobs Adventure' to add a bit of variety and a sense of progression to the game so that when you come across something tougher, you know you're getting closer to the end but I can't decide what these two types of enemies should be.

Option 1: Skeleton
A Skeleton. I guess the skeleton would be tougher and do more damage than a zombie. They could even keep getting up after you kill them which would be kind of cool in a room with difficult platforming

Option 2: Gold Knights
Prettymuch a copy of the player. These guys would be in the last section and would be pretty darn tough. I would have made them Black Knights but It would be too awkward to make them stand out against the background tiles.

Option 3: Zombie Archer
I like the idea of having a ranged enemy. Several ranged enemies in a room could become almost like a puzzle to avoid the shots and they would play so differently to the normal zombies that it would add some good variety.

Option 4: Pyromancer
These guys would be functionally identical to the zombie archers, really but I think the archers would be in large quantities and deal less damage whereas I feel a wizard should be really powerful but not that numerous

Option 5: Spectre
Having a ghosty floating around as just a pair of red eyes would be kind of cool, since my background environment has the red eyes shown, so the real spectres might be harder to see. These guys would basically be invisible and float around. Maybe acting like a Boo in Mario games, where they only move if you're not looking at them

Optiong 6: Zombie Doggo
My least favourite option. I'm not happy with how the sprite looks and I don't think I could animate it very well. It also takes up two sprites so there might be a memory concern...

I think roughly what I want is "projectile dude" and "tough dude" in some form.
So these are my ideas so far. If anyone has any thoughts on which of these might be better, or a suggestion of something different, that'd be great^^

P#29188 2016-09-23 18:50 ( Edited 2016-09-26 14:58)

SHOW MORE

I honestly didn't know there was a blog element to this. Nice :D

The main thing I'm working on is called "Bob's Adventure" which is probably just a working title, even though its meant to be kinda dumb.

so far, I've had my Pocket CHIP for a little over a week and I'm reeeeeally enjoying the ability to just walk along coding, and by making really simple little sprites, I don't need to worry about a long drawn-out design process and talking to 3D modellers to make any progress. I can just blast out some rubbish sprites and get on with the fun coding bit! Love it!

Hopefully people will check out my game as it gets updates. So far, there's not a whole lot to do on it other than wander around and kill zombies, but my goal for the game is two add two more enemy types, expand the level and then have the game culminate in a boss battle. I also want to add more music and animation along the way (memory permitting!)

P#29098 2016-09-22 19:09 ( Edited 2016-09-23 03:30)

SHOW MORE

Cart #29090 | 2016-09-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is just a little thing that I made whilst going about my day and I'm not sure I'll get around to finishing so feel free to grab it from the PICO-8 WIP section and do some work on it!

P#29091 2016-09-22 18:47 ( Edited 2016-09-23 13:06)

SHOW MORE

Cart #32316 | 2016-11-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Changes 21/09/2016

• Player can attack, killing zombies in two hits
  • Bugfix: Health bar is now accurate
  • Player animations (Attack, Die)
  • Zombie animations (Hit, Die)
  • Sounds(Music, player jump, player attack, zombie hit, player hit)

Changes 23/09/2016

• Bugfix, after dying, the death animation does not trigger again when hit
  • You are given a message and the ability to reset the game after dying
  • Torches are now animated

Changes 07/11/2016

• Enemy archers
  • Health pickups
  • Collectibles (main game objective)
  • New Music
  • New sounds

Sadly, I haven't added a boss, but this is what I would call the "finished" product, other than perhaps a nice boss fight.

P#28531 2016-09-14 21:38 ( Edited 2016-12-07 16:27)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-19 03:45:04 | 0.075s | Q:20