This is a simple 1 screen game inspired by the classic game POOYAN.
Shoot the balloons to knock your enemies down from the sky before they can land on the ground to steal your gold and ultimately invade your cave.
Press Z to shoot, and use up/down keys to move up and down.
I hope you enjoy.
1.0 (2016/12/25) - original 30fps release
1.1 (2017/1/7) -
- Frame rate is now 60fps
- New enemies are now based on time of day, and no longer based on player's score
here's the original 30fps version.
Posting this for anyone who wants to use it. I had made this as practice awhile back and I hate to see the graphics go to waste. Originally I thought maybe I'd make a LITTLE COMPUTER PEOPLE clone (if you remember that for the C64) or some sort of sidescrolling adventure game, or even maybe as a "cheerleader" for a shooter/puzzle type game (she could react to how well or badly you're playing.)
If you download the cart, you'll see that there are 2 sprites with blank faces, a lot of faces for front and profile view (demo only uses 1 face), and a ground tile set, and a flower accessory sprite, and a walking sprite which does have a face.
The side profile sprite doesn't have arms. I thought perhaps arms animated using the line() function, with rectfill() for the hands to create arm animations.
Demo is just some simple code I threw together to test the walk cycle out, and so it doesn't contain any kind of variables that create a parent/child relationship between the body and the face.
Anyways, feel free to use these if you can use 'em.
version 1.4 - 2018
- fixed major bugs concerning player alignment on the map (for real this time)
- updated the title screen - it's flashier now
- added more sound effects and audio cues
- added more dialogue with more NPCs to talk to
- some NPCs now say different things depending on player progress
- sprinkled in a couple new easter eggs
version 1.26 - 2016
- added missing image flip when turning left towards obstacles. Thanks to dw817 for pointing that out.
version 1.25 - 2016
- minor improvements to marinara behaviors
- fixed some positioning issues
- made an in-game tip easier to discover
- final boss is now slightly harder
version 1.2 - 2016
- Fixed slime behaviors. They no longer scale the walls when blocked in by the crate. Thanks to dw817 for pointing that bug out!
version 1.1 - 2016
- Fixed problem where entering the pizzeria caused the player to lose alignment with game map.
- Fixed some grammatical errors.
- moved a dungeon key slightly so it's more visible.
Btn 4 (Z) to pull crate or turn 180(when not next to crate)
Btn 5 (X) to use weapon
This game took about a month to make. It's similar to my last game, EGGHUNT, in terms of the layout and walking, but is much more complex as this game has enemy AI, weapons, and crate pushing.
My first effort with the Pico-8. I hope you enjoy it.
v1.1. I added Morning Toast's recommendation. So instead of saying "items found" or "secrets found" it says how many out of how many you've found. I also made a slight change to make ending "A" a little more obvious (but not by much) and optimized a little bit bit of the code.
I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying it. Thanks everyone! "Quack!"