This game is now what I had hoped it would be! Big thanks to the community for the art advice, and code fixes, and honest opinions.
HOW TO PLAY:
Button 1 to jump
Button 2 to peck
The regular peck strikes at an angle and give Poulet greater velocity, to allow jumping father. HOLD UP while pecking to do a "soft" peck, where your regular jump arc is not changed, for precise and controlled attacks. HOLD DOWN while pecking to do a vertical peck, to avoid flying off a ledge during an attack.
Every third balloon popped has a prize-- the first prize is a TOQUE, which lets Poulet take one hit before defeat. If you have your Toque when you collect yet another prize, then you get HOTSAUCE which turns Poulet into HOTWINGS! who is an INVINCIBLE FLAMING DEATH BIRD
Killing blows struck consecutively without hitting the ground will give you a score multiplier. Same goes for when using Hotwings.
Enjoy! Right now, the high score is 639200!
Thanks again to Pizza and Innomin and of course Zep, and the whole community.
Fighting towards FINAL.
Caught some bugs, made some level tweaks.
Alright, here's my changelog. I'm about to finish this one for good this weekend I hope.
- Extra zero added to score display to pad it against rolling.
- Max score multiplier is 200 x 64. Once a hit is worth 12800, all consecutive hits are capped at that.
- Some levels have minor tweaks to make them less frustrating. I still want input on this!
- If you beat all the "Remixed" levels, you enter the NASTY levels. These are designed for a truly cruel end to your score run.
I'd like feedback on any parts of the level design that bug people. As I'd like to feel this is a finished game soon, and in all the hackin' the level design gets forgotten.
I'm fired up for some Pico8 Action. I've got to get my first ever game polished before I hack on something new. Here's a new pass.
Changes and Fixes:
- Glitchy bees fixed
- Level two less prickish
- Weird slowdown dealt with
- Some graphical taste improvements.
Left to do:
- Finish the "dungeon" music.
- Maybe make some stages more interesting.
- Some enemy physics is not as polished as player physics.
- A third type of "level-remix" after you beat the 8th.
- An attract mode explaining some controls and introducing some enemies.
- A delicious easter-egg I've got planned.
Yeah, so with all this work over the horizon, I just wanna take a final stab at completing this cart before I don't have any more time.
Total physics re-vamp. Collisions are handled more sensibly thanks to Innomin's advice. The new physics system made the speed and ranges of things a little different, so constants have been tweaked, and levels have been adjusted. I think it's less slippery, more controllable, and I can't duplicate any embedding in tiles bugs at this point. (I bet one of you folks can though!)
- Toques now protect from spikes
- Baubles are worth a little more, hoping players won't ignore them as much
- Level "remixing" after you beat level 4.
There's bound to be bugs with all the changes, so please let lose and break it!
In response to the forum feedback, and watching someone else play it for a bit, I've decided it needed a lot of changes! Here they are...
There's four frames of "skidding" when a headbutt attack collides with the ground. That way, if you get driven face first into an enemy, you have a better chance of them getting hurt instead of you.
- If you hold the down button while headbutting, you do a completely vertical smash, helping you air-break on a crazy headbutt.
If you hold the up button while headbutting, your velocity doesn't change at all. This is for super careful maneuvers while attacking.
Every third prize balloon drops a Toque! Wearing the toque gives you one hit, with a blinkrate from an enemy. It doesn't protect you from lava, spikes, or falls!
If you open three more prize balloons, without losing your toque, you get hotsauce!
- Some new music and sound. Not all the songs are ready, so right now some recycle.
I've been cranking on this for a while, only sparsely tweeting about it from time to time. I figure it's done enough now to get some code review and bug finding by the community.
It's quite playable, but if you beat the fourth level, there's only a black abyss as your reward. I can't fit any more levels proper on the cart, so the last big feature I want to put in is some level-mutator code to repeat the existing levels with some re-arrangement to extend the game (And that there, is the joy of Pico 8-- the limitations taking us to wild places like that!)
I'd enjoy hearing what you guys think. Personally I look forward to feedback on just how hard it might be-- it might suffer from programmer-is-the-only-playtester syndrome at the moment, resulting in some serious difficulty.
I feel the collision code needs some tips from the masters. There's also some really dumb work around for my lack of knowledge about how we concatenate strings in Lua.
Oh and I desperately need to write more music-- this tune is gonna drive you insane pretty soon.
I hope you all like it!
I didn't tell you how to play!
Z to jump.
X/C to Headbutt-dash
If you get multiple kills on a single dash, you get a score multiplier!
Free lives are awarded by score.