NIJI - A Colorful Rainbow One-Dimensional Action Match-3 Puzzle Game
Music was highly influenced by the Moon Theme of the NES Duck Tales game.
- press up/down to make your fire flower line change lanes in the rainbow
- press <z> to go faster
- catch incoming flowers by touching them with your fire flower line
- use left/right to highlight a flower in the line
- press <x> to select it and move it around with left/right
- press <x> again to place it
- match 3 flowers of the same color to explode them and earn score points
- the more flowers you explode in a single move the more points they're worth
- if you miss catching a flower, it'll get added to the back of the file in a frozen state
- only way to unfreeze a frozen flower is to explode another flower next to it
I still have a few improvements I want to add but since it's past the #AGBICjam's deadline I figured I would post it here as well. Feel free to give feedback or suggestions for improvement.
I love this. Not only does it look super happy, it plays nice.
I know there's not much too it, per se, but I just like how I have to think about where to place the flowers to make a match that's more than just 3.
Just good work all the way around.
Although for some reason I was expecting the train to speed up automatically as I progressed. Just felt like it should, I guess. I didn't find myself using Z a lot to move faster. Not a suggestion really, just an observation report.
Thanks for your kind words, morningtoast!
The train does speed up over time, but it might be doing so too slowly, I might balance it a bit to make playthroughs a bit shorter.
I added the Z speed up button to avoid having experienced players suffer the slow start of the game. I find myself using it a lot at the beginning but not so much as things start to get hectic.
Thanks again for the feedback! I love your games as well!
Agreed, it's pretty great but it does feel like it needs a little flair or something.
Maybe the extra ingredient could be rare pickups that do cool things? Wildcard flowers, explosive flowers, etc. Or bad things, even. Like a flower that randomly changes the flowers on either side of it, or one that temporarily increases the movement speed and you have to cope with it until it times out.
[Please log in to post a comment]