Cart [#cotlk-0#] | Code | 2019-05-04 | No License | Embed

Curse of the Lich King

The evil Lich King, Raq'zul, has cast a life draining spell on the world - in hopes to become immortal. Many heroes try to find him deep in his lair, but all have fallen to his army of monsters and devious traps. Now it is your turn!

Curse of the Lich King gives you tactical grid based combat in a roguelike dungeon crawling setting. A cast of monsters will try to stop you, all in their own way as you descend towards the Lich King's crypt. Loot everything you see to make sure you find food and weapons to help you on your journey. But beware, not everything is what it seems...

Are you ready to solve the tricky battles and master the Lich King's lair? Can you save the world? Good luck!

CONTROLS
Use the arrow keys to move and navigate menus.
X opens your backpack and select items.
C closes the current window.

STRATEGY
As it is not possible to skip turns, make sure you use the environment to get monsters near so you get the first strike! Spend a turn by hitting pots/shelves/doors or other interactive things, and monsters will move while you stand still.

There is a lot of stuff to discover, have fun!

CREDITS
Design/Art/Code: Johan Peitz (@johanpeitz)
Music/Sound: Chris Donnelly (@gruber_music)

Special thanks to the good people at my discord for testing the game!
Why not join? https://discord.gg/pF76upS

P#64171 2019-05-04 05:09 ( Edited 2019-05-04 05:12)

:: Parlor

Gonna fire this one up on the CRT/Retropi and forget what year it is for a while.

Sidenote: I'm so bad at it. It's me, not you. Amazing work as always.

P#64173 2019-05-04 13:17

Stellar roguelike! Love the quality of play, the room items, the great graphics, lovely job on all sound magic by Gruber.

Amazed how much you can pack into a cart. Great job!

P#64177 2019-05-04 19:01
:: Jusiv

Very nicely done! The position-based strategy component works very well and gives interesting importance to the act of opening a door or searching a interactable or even eating food. Enemies being able to see you diagonally through doors is a fun touch, too. I also quite like the requirement of using cursed food to upgrade weapons, as it makes even risky items useful to carry. And of course, the visuals and audio are also quite nice and fit very well.

My result (after about 6ish attempts):

My one bit of constructive criticism would be to put a cap on the number of turns of dizziness you can get (or lower the current one if it exists). Eyeball spam seems like it can leave you wandering aimlessly for like 10+ turns if the RNG hits right. Dizziness might also be less annoying if you could force it to take a step (instead of waiting for the timer) by hitting a button.

Oh, and if you have the tokens/space, 2 feature requests:

1. Being able to throw weapons as an action would be awesome and fit with the inventory management and timing mechanics (also would be very handy against ranged foes). Throw direction could just be the previous one you stepped in.
  2. Some type of floor tile that makes everything stunned for a turn when they step on it could be neat strategically.
P#64181 2019-05-05 06:14

this game is awesome, the quality is superb and the gameplay is so amazing I love this game and you really nailed it (hoping for a sci-fi sequel)

P#64250 2019-05-09 03:04

I really, really like this a lot. I also made a video for it lat night which I've shared below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBq3f7H6urI

Looking forward to spending more time with this!

P#64263 2019-05-09 15:57
:: johanp

Thanks for the kind words all!

@Jusiv - congrats on completing it! And good feedback, capping confusion is a really good idea. Sometimes you just bounce around forever. Still want it to be annoying though. Gotta learn to hate it. :)
And I'm out of tokens for anything more - sorry! :D

@inphanta - thanks for spreading the work. It's a huge learning experience watching others play your games.

P#64540 2019-05-18 05:36

Finished it in the 3rd attempt! Very inspirational

P#65061 2019-06-07 20:26

This is not real rough criticism. But is there any room to add an outside area to enter the dungeon?
I like the end, but kind of want to see the guy emerge out. Otherwise, this is incredibly fun and I lost most of last night to this game.

P#65150 2019-06-11 07:32

I actually had outdoor areas in my prototype level. It added a lot to the atmosphere. Sadly I couldn’t make them work to satisfaction when I made the level generator so I skipped them in favour for other features.

Glad you put the game to good use!

P#65154 2019-06-11 17:37
:: Domu

just dropping in to say i finally checked this out and am thoroughly impressed. Its one of the best light roguelikes i've ever had the pleasure of playing. (am not a hardcore roguelike player to be fair)It's incredible what you managed to squeeze in here.

I havent made it past floor 3 yet (damn spike pits get me every time) but Ive only played it four times so far. I'll be spending the rest of the evening with it for sure!

P#67335 2019-09-06 15:59

Thanks a lot Domu! A light (but challenging) experience was very much what I was going for. I did have a struggle getting everything I wanted into place, so good to hear it was worth it!

Good luck past level 3 and watch out for the eye! :)

P#67434 2019-09-09 16:12

[Please log in to post a comment]

About | Contact | Updates | Terms of Use
Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2019-10-14 08:12 | 0.071s | 4194k | Q:51