Hastily crafted Asteroids clone complementary of the anti-aliased line thead:
- Added: Teleport ('c' button)! Up to 3 chances (sort of...) to get out of trouble
- Changed: inertia cranked up, use your thrusters!
- Changed: safe time is now 2s
- Changed: thrust is now 'up' only
- Fixed: Saucer Invasion!
- Fixed: incorrect font rendering
- Fixed: incorrect high score message on game over
- Changed: reduced number of rocks to 4
- Fixed: crash with dead player
- Changed: multiple rocks types
- Added: saucer!
- Added: highscore (saved in cart data)
- Added: multiple CRT effects (enjoy @Felice!)
- Bug: couple of chars incorrectly rendered
1.0f: temp. fix by @Felice (tks!)
1.0: initial release (did not work)
Not much really - using bits of my Pico 8 "game toolkit":
- anti-aliased circle fill (using mid-point error for the shading)
- multiple "CRT" shaders (find out how to switch between them!)
- a couple of future functions using yield
- vector font rendering
- Felice: anti-aliased line optimisation genius!
- Trammell Hudson: Asteroids font (https://trmm.net/Asteroids_font)
- Atari: for the art cover (my lawers are on the copyright case :)
A few things:
For some reason you posted a version with
grayvid()commented out. I fixed it to play at home. :)
The back of the original ship was narrower and slightly convex so it was more obvious which way is forward. Try 3/8 and 2/8 in your draw, rather than 1/3 and 1/3, to narrow the back.
A nice QoL thing is to allow ⬆️ as an alternative to 🅾️ for thrust, so the button hand doesn't get confused.
- I love the scanlines+glitches look, and well done, but you don't actually get those on a vector display. Mind you, turning it off somehow hurts the look of the vector font, hmm.
Otherwise. you've made short and excellent work of it. :)
Edit: Here, easier to show than tell, plus people can play it 'til you fix the color in yours.
me: guys, that was a truly fucked up release
me: you are all fired!
wife: you don’t have any qa team darling
me: ah. well...
The dev team is actively working on fixing all that. Go team!
wife: you don’t have a dev team either...
Was trying out your game. It's pretty difficult to appear when asteroids are right on top of you. If you remember the arcade version, the player would not appear until the bulk of the asteroids were clear from the center - where the player would appear.
Watch what happens when this player loses a ship:
Notice that the game does not put the player back immediately but waits until the center is clear of asteroids so the player has a temporary safe haven.
Failing that you could set it so the player must press a button to appear with their new ship thereby relying on them to judge when its safe to re-enter the center.
[Please log in to post a comment]