Cart #picokaiju-9 | 2022-01-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Picokaiju

You are one big monster with a thirst for destruction. This quick turn-based roguelike PICO-8 game is all about stomping, smashing, grabbing, and chomping your way through a procedurally generated hapless city and its tiny citizens.

Also available at itch.io

Controls

• D-pad (arrow keys), move the Kaiju by one tile
  • O button (Z, N, C), ROAR
  • X button (X, M, V), Open abilities menu

The mobs will move once you perform an action (movement, roars and abilities).

Score tracker at the bottom right shows "current points"/"points until next powerup".

Mobs

Mobs have a chance to spawn every other turn (except for civilians) and the max count is based on your kaiju's destruction.

• Civilians
    Spawn every turn. Scared and immobile protein shakes.
  • Cop Car
    Deals 1 DMG. Range 1 tile in all 8 directions. Protein shake in a can.
  • Copter
    Same as Cop Car but flies over buildings except for tall ones.
  • Tank
    Deals 2 DMG. Range 5 tiles and shoots only in cardinal directions (Up, Left, Down, Right).
  • Mad Scientist (UFO)
    Same as Copter but also adds 1 Poison DMG per turn. There is no antidote.

Tips

• To regain energy, first select GRAB in the abilities menu and select a mob to grab, then select CHOMP in the abilities menu to eat the mob.
  • To regain health, use the ROAR button.
  • Points are multiplied by a combo meter. Combo increases if you do several destructions in a row and resets on no destruction. CHOMP will also increase the combo meter.
  • All mobs may be grabbed and walked on. Even the helicopters and the mysterious mad scientist.

A lot of fun! Nice twist to the roguelike genre!

"All things must come to pass."

Looks like we sent that monster packing. Superb turn-based game. A little tricky to play but once learned its quite enjoyable.

Gold star for your excellent city demolish game, @spoike.

Once I figured out the mechanics that was a ton of fun! will come back to play this more later

come to think of think i never seen a dinosaur kaiju, i mean sure there's godzilla but he's more of a lizard creature than a dinosaur so my point still stands

This game is so addictive! I'm a big Godzilla fan and this game has brilliant gameplay, one of the best I've seen in the kaiju genre.
Great job!

Well done, what a great, fun game! Thank you!

fun stuff got 19050 on my first attempt.

did not get to the mad scientists tho, will have to try again

Lovely game - very inventive and great fun.

So, am I correct in saying that there's no real ending to this game? I destroyed all the buildings and trees, and then it just kinda kept going. But at that point, it was too easy to keep surviving indefinitely...

Looks like I have to tweak the difficulty for late stage.

Though I need some more tokens for that unfortunately.

Score 12575

Amazing concept! I love the logic behind the enemy behaviour- copters can’t fly over skyscrapers, tanks won’t fire past buildings or cop card but will shoot through copter spaces, etc. I noticed one possible bug - using Throw seems to reset your combo counter?

Anyway brilliant idea.

Fantastic idea and beautiful execution

Just wanted to chime in and say this is one of my absolute favorite pico-8 games and I keep going back to it. Absolutely brilliant. Plus I love that Night on Bald Mountain was used on the title screen. Epic.

Nice

Got a score of 188000! Took me 169 turns.

Just a very cool concept in and of itself, but you really delivered in all aspects. It's so much dang fun to zap a row of buildings, as it should be!

[Please log in to post a comment]