Follow
zooperdan
[ :: Read More :: ]

Guide your character on a journey through dungeons inhabited by perilous adversaries. Solve puzzles and discover secrets to get your hands on that special kind of loot.

The game pays homage to the old isometric classics like Cadaver, Hero Quest, Darkmere etc.

-- WORK IN PROGRESS --

TO-DO:

• Add monsters, with basic AI (wander/patrol and attack on sight)
  • Combat and damage formulas
  • If token/compressed space allows it I'll add the map feature, else it'll be kicked to the curb.
  • Player character animations (idle, walk, melee, cast spell, die)
  • Add some more props/decor if spritesheet allows it
  • Optimize
  • Optimize
  • Optimize
  • ...Optimize!

Cart #55555 | 2018-08-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls

• P/ENTER = Bring up menu (Inventory, Stats, Map)
  • Arrow keys = Move
  • X = Interact in the world / Select in menus
  • Z = Exit from menus

Disclaimer
The source code is not yet optimized and I apologize for the messy code. :)

Feedback
If you have suggestions on how to improve parts of the source code feel free to comment about it. I would appreciate any input regarding optimizations for speed, token/compression limits and so forth.

Short backstory
A couple weeks ago I created a pixel art mockup of an imaginary isometric rpg for PICO-8. Although rough and unfinished I got a lot of positive feedback.

Later I decided to download and install PICO-8 for the first time just to have a look at it. Started reading up on the API and really liked what I saw. First I made a quick ISO floor render test to see if it could be done and if it would look alright. One thing led to another and a week later the result is what you see here.

-zooperdan

[UPDATE 0.6.4]

• Token optimizations
  • Added sound when opening doors and containers.

[UPDATE 0.6.3]

• Containers now drops items.
  • Spells can be cast when holding a spellbook.
  • Added road/path tiles.
  • Made denser forest.
  • Change subterrain color from yellow/gold to be more stone colored. I think that looks better.

[UPDATE 0.6.2]

• Added support for mixing of tilesets per area (Before was only one tileset per area/room). This allows for more interesting areas.

[UPDATE 0.6.1]

• No longer storing data in delimited strings but instead using JSON, and a very nice parser, courtesy of freds72
  • Many optimizations and code cleanups. Reduced token count with ~500 despite adding functionality.
  • Ingame messages/infostrings are now managed using the same editor as the rest.

Previous versions:

Cart #55499 | 2018-08-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #55448 | 2018-08-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #55335 | 2018-08-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #55273 | 2018-08-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#55282 2018-08-16 20:06 ( Edited 2018-08-17 00:06)