Cart #picoris2-9 | 2021-07-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Picoris 2

The thrilling sequel to the original! Who would've thought?

Featuring 10 modes, a slew of options, cascade gravity, probably a few bugs, and hours of fun, it's the ultimate Tetris clone on Pico-8!

Modes

Most modes in this game are inspired by Tetris (PSP).

Marathon

Simple endless mode. Clear as many lines as possible before topping out.

Sprint

Game ends after 40 lines, clear them as fast as you can!

Treadmill

The stack shifts to the left after every piece, try not to get dizzy!

Laser

Don't let the laser hit your stack, or else it's game over!

Garbage

Garbage lines rise from the ground, try not to get overwhelmed!

Split

Arguably the most confusing mode, alternate placing pieces on each side of the board!

Scanner

"Clear" as many lines as you can before they all get cleared at once!

Invisible

Try to place as many pieces as you can, without seeing any of your stack!

Solidify

The blocks solidify into blocks you have to clear twice!

Ledges

Place your pieces onto the unclearable blocks, or sacrifice them to the void!

Features

Cascade Gravity

Blocks can continue to fall even after they've been placed! (This might be buggy)

Starting Level

Select the speed level you start on! Starting on M1 or higher will not require any extra lines to level up, as a psuedo Master Mode.

Custom DAS, ARR, and ARE*

Customize how long it takes for your piece to move side to side, how fast it moves side to side, and how long you wait after placing a piece!

Custom Controls*

Rebind any button with any other! Supports P2 buttons as well (see user manual for controls)

Randomizer

Select the randomizer, whether it be a 7-bag, 14-bag, or pure random!

Gimmick Interval

Customize the amount of pieces it takes for a gimmick to apply! (for Garbage, Scanner, and Solidify)

Mino Editor*

Customize the blockskin using a simple editor!

• Your handling, controls and your blockskin are saved so you never have to input them again!

Changelog

v1.2

• Added a starting timer
  • Cut CPU usage on the background a bit

v1.1

• Fixed blocks placing on regenerated rows turning unclearable

v1.0

• Initial Release

Have fun!
- Mark M.

P#88083 2021-02-24 03:37 ( Edited 2021-07-20 23:02)

no way to return to menu after loosing a game?
using the menu is a bit awkward.

solid Tetris otherwise

P#88088 2021-02-24 06:30

A really cool sequel, adding lots of new gameplay features to what was already a great version of Tetris. Not just a remake but something new.

I don't know what I am doing with most of the modes but learning about them is half the fun!

Is pieces turning dark above a certain height and floating up when making lines a feature I don't understand? (seen in marathon and laser)

P#88096 2021-02-24 11:41

@freds72 Will add a quick return to menu option in-game, currently only in the pause menu

@Jem_hunter Will fix very soon
Edit: was fixed, new version uploaded

P#88100 2021-02-24 13:37 ( Edited 2021-02-24 13:48)

I see I've got some competition again, "the ultimate Tetris clone on Pico-8" huh? Maybe it's time I finally make Tetyis Redux.. >:3

You've got some real neat stuff here, original mode ideas weren't something I was expecting at all, actually. Some of these are really cool, some feel like they could use some improvement, but either way it's certainly unique, I never even thought about anything like this. When Tetyis was planned to have more modes, it was mostly established stuff like modes from tetris party. The gameplay's very solid, though progression is a bit slow. Easy, Medium, and Hard difficulties to alter the progression speed, perhaps? Anyways, you've done a great job here all around, I like this a lot, especially with all the original ideas.

P#88292 2021-02-28 13:21

@Hunkydoodle It uses 0.2.2, you can download it from the front page.

P#88371 2021-03-01 18:39

Well done! As far as I can tell, this game is fully guideline-compliant, which is really impressive. I'm able to do pretty much everything I'm able to do in any modern Tetris game (t-spin triples, S and Z spins, etc). I really appreciate that you've added controls for DAS and ARR, and the mino editor is spectacular. I've made some really cool custom styles with this. The sound effects are great as well; reminiscent of Tetris: The Grandmaster. And, God... the background for the main menu. So cool.

It's missing 2 tiny things, from what I can see:
-Games ought to start with a countdown rather than immediately starting upon pressing "start." This would not only help the player gear up for a game of sprint, but it would also prevent mistakenly spinning at the beginning of the game; for me, all the pieces spawn in rotated 90 degrees at the beginning because the "o" input carries over from pressing "start."
-Maybe a 0 ARR option, for instant shifting after a delay? This is common in for advanced players in games like Jstris and Tetr.io; but even without that, I really appreciate all the precise, advanced control you give in the settings.

Altogether, this is amazing and it makes me really happy that it exists.

Also, I'm officially declaring the world record for Picoris 2 40-line Sprint to be 55.73 seconds unless someone has beaten me. :)

P#88656 2021-03-08 02:23

Thanks for the feedback! The next queue sounds were actually inspired from TGM, and I'll see what I can do about the 0ARR/starting countdown. Also, I technically have a 52-second time from when I was developing this game:
Glad you like it!

P#88671 2021-03-08 13:46

49.41 seconds. Beat it! Whew. This is nearly my overall 40L PB; this really is a nice Tetris client!

P#88694 2021-03-08 20:49

I'm here to beat you with 46.04

P#90208 2021-04-08 15:58

Wow, this game is so much fun! Would you mind if I changed the name and put this on a pico-8 console? I'd be changing the name to something along the lines of "Picoris: The Grand Master 3 - Terror-Instinct", and I'd probably add some kind of grade system (probably ripped from TGM3 Terror Instinct), a player level system (if you could even do that, that'd be amazing) where you can play the game to level up and have some sort of like title system or somethin, and probably a new background (and possibly a new default mino skin idk).
Again, I love this game! It's easily my favorite Tetris game on the platform!

P#100770 2021-11-24 23:55

@RyutoSetsujin Yeah, go ahead! I can see if I can make a special version with the features you requested, too, if you'd like.

P#100961 2021-11-28 22:36

@MarkGamed7794 Thank you very much! I'd love it if you made that special version! Heck, I did try playing around with the code, and I found if you reverbed all the sounds they sound kinda nice...

P#100963 2021-11-29 00:08

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 12:05:16 | 0.094s | Q:38