Cart #44208 | 2017-09-15 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Here's a remake of an old project of mine in PICO-8. Was a lot of fun to do!
Thanks to the amazing Gruber this version also have great music and sfx!

But all in all, CAN YOU GET OUT?

Share your thoughts!

I kind of got frustrated after the 10th or so key. What am I missing?! >.<

Totally missed you posting this yesterday.
Excellent conversion of your original - love the "adjustment" to this version. Works well.
Still totally dig the style of this game the most.
Congrats on finishing it :D

That's quite some effort for a silly idea. I like it. I had to resort to cheating though by going over the source code...

So once you get out of there, it's just the one room and the game ends, or is there a "real" way to get out? (I'm not giving it away...just yet :) ) Because it'd be cool if this were a REAL "escape from the room" game where there were several more rooms and puzzles and not just the one.

Thanks for the feedback all!

Glad you appreciate the effort, it's all there to distract from the simple truth. :)

DR4IG, you just need to use the right key!

A larger, interconnected, set of rooms have crossed my mind - but it would be a totally different project.

I finished it soon because I remembered another version of the game (Ludum Dare maybe?). If you play a second time after finishing it, the door appears open, but the message of "locked" and the key droppings continue... The player can pass through the open door but the keys can't.

Good catch! I update the tile map when the door is opened and simply didn't close it again. :)

I also had to cheat by looking at the source code

Nobody has any patience these day... ;)

lol I didn't cheat... but I was close

Haha, dang it. Just need that right key. :P

I was thoroughly enjoying this delightful little key generator (despite all the distractions like "escaping") when it suddenly ran out of keys to give and restarted -- causing me to lose all my precious keys. :(

I am so dumb... I'm not going to say how long it took to get the right key.
Nice game.

What's the right key??? 😩

Not to give the solution away, @johanp.

Remember all the ways you can INPUT data to Pico-8.

This is GENIUS!

haha it's right in your face!

That was clever. I'm curious though, is there another way to get out? (No spoilers please)

Lol, I paused to look at the comments, and immediately got the answer on my return.

@johanp:

You might make it more challenging by the -method- not appearing unless you are holding the very first key ... or if that's too brutal, the -method- will not appear if you are holding any key at all.

You might even play with the cameras, saying for the first time, "This camera light turns red if I get too close."

Only do it twice as there are only 2 cameras.

Nothing like adding herrings to the dinner table. :)

Oh, and because I forgot earlier, Gold Star for you ...

Had a good chuckle seeing the depths of one man's insanity as I made him try the same (and only) key on the door a few dozen times.

the keys eventually ran out and the dialogue rolled is there a way to get out of the room?

@Tatery1:

There is more than one way to send your input to Pico-8.
I'm just glad no-one has posted the outright solution. If it makes you feel better, Tatery1 - I was at it for an hour - before I finally tried something else.

facepalm thank you so much i was doing some weird thing where i was trying to guess the order of keys thanks for helping @dw817

Lol I paused to look at the description closely for clues, and then it hit me!

You got me haha nice @johanp

The lack of spoilers in this comment section is almost as impressive as the game

[Please log in to post a comment]