Cart #deepinthehouse-1 | 2022-10-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Deep in the House

Version 1.1

Deep in the House is a short horror game.

After a long and tiring walk, you wander into an old house with an open front door, hoping to find shelter.
As you enter the main hall, the door closes and locks itself behind you.
It looks like this house isn't as welcoming as you'd hoped...
Will you make it out alive ?

Explore the (many) rooms of the house as you try to find a way out.
You'll have to fight enemies, collect items and solve (simple) puzzles.

It is recommended to play with sound if you have the option.

Controls

Move with the arrow keys.
Tap left or right twice to run.

Press C to show the inventory and health status.
Hold down X and press left or right to use your weapon.
(but sometimes, running away might be a better choice...)

Credits

This game was created by me, Matthieu Le Gallic.
The licence permits you to modify the game and distribute it for non-commercial purposes.

Feel free to look at the code if you're interested !

Please report bugs if you encounter them.
Thank you for playing !

Changelog

• Added permadeath mode (called "horror" mode in-game). Regular mode is called "casual".
  • Added results screen with approximate time taken, medkits used etc.
  • Fixed front door not working after a restart
  • Fixed lights going out after fixing fusebox
  • Improved death animation
  • Fixed heartbeat sound playing during ending
  • Added ability to fast-forward ending text
  • Other minor fixes
P#119391 2022-10-20 17:13 ( Edited 2022-10-27 13:45)

Got creepy and eenteresting in a very short time, @FlytrapStudios ! I'm hooked. Perfect game for Halloween and gonna try to play it to the end. Please add text to show where you are when you go through a door. Such as for the kitchen it would state, "Kitchen."

Gold star for you and this marvelous tactical and thinking game. I also noticed the audio changed for your footsteps to echo when you are in the basement. Great attention to detail !

. . .

Complete !

You survived the monsters and evil spirits of the house.

Suggest you have additional information and scoring at end of game. Time it took to win, number of health kits not used (1-2), and status of player, fine, injured, critical.

P#119405 2022-10-20 20:23 ( Edited 2022-10-20 20:50)

wow! super very cool! maybe a few graphical improvements (sorry somethings just need a bit more detail like the tiles)
but it's PERFECT. <3

P#119411 2022-10-21 02:26

A really great, moody game! Good use of the lightning effects :)
And one slightly spoilery thing:

the monsters reminded me of AloneInPico8, great pixelart!

P#119420 2022-10-21 08:17

Very inventive and beautifully executed. Well done.

P#119427 2022-10-21 14:38

Great job, very complete and well thought-out.
Little bits of intrigue to keep you going along, and fantastic ending!

P#119457 2022-10-22 21:40

This was AWESOME! Excellent enemies and encounters, clever puzzles, and a really impressive final boss and ending. I got the entire horror game experience in less than 10 minutes. Favorited.

P#119464 2022-10-23 03:23

Yes, great and very atmospheric game. I like the timing of the large spiders, how they run just a bit faster than you and then pause so it's still possible to get past them. The sound effects and music are great, too.

@dw817 : While there could be other scoring details, there are three variations on the ending text depending on how badly or well you did. (The spoiler below shows the text of the good ending. Don't open it if you want to find it on your own.)

Also, looking at the source...

On my first playthrough, I found one weapon, and things didn't go very well. On my second playthrough, I found the second weapon. The source code implies the existence of a third weapon, but no text to suggest it can be found anywhere. If this is a red herring to mislead people who browse the source, well done! It worked!

After completing a game and pressing a button to restart, two things didn't go quite right...

• I finished the game on minimal health, and the "heartbeat" sound played through the ending text and into the next game.
  • After the restart, I couldn't enter the front door. The button prompt didn't appear either. Maybe after playing the game once, my character is too sensible to do that?

P#119473 2022-10-23 09:52

Nice short game! I won't say it's horror game cause with unlimited lives, I'm the real terror to the monsters in the house! :D

Joke aside, monsters do give problem but it's not so serious since you can always respawn.

I think I got serious bug. If you fixed the fuse BEFORE getting dagger, you won't be able to fix the fuse again and be forced to complete the game with darkness.

P#119498 2022-10-24 05:21

ya there's problems where dying resets the brightness some rooms give off so it just makes it harder and also

during the escape section my whole screen went black with sometimes some light at the bottom of my screen so maybe it's a camera issue? either way couldn't complete the game because of it :<

P#119499 2022-10-24 05:54

Hi everyone !

Thank you so much for all the feedback !
I'm glad you're enjoying the game.

I'll try to fix the various bugs that were reported.
I'll also add a permadeath mode, which should make the game more tense.
Hopefully I'll be able to release a new version soon, maybe before the end of the month.

On a more general note, I'm really impressed with how the pico-8 scene has evolved over the years.
There's more and more ambitious games coming out, even 3D titles which are becoming more common !
I was kind of worried I wouldn't be able to compete, so I'm glad the reception to this new game was positive.
Then again, it's not really competition, is it ?
Just people having fun pushing the boundaries of pico-8, which is always good to see.

Anyway, look forward to a new version releasing soon-ish !

P#119504 2022-10-24 10:47

This was terrific. Good atmosphere, engaging, good gameplay and mechanics. Nice one!

P#119531 2022-10-25 01:07

I've just published version 1.1, which fixes most of the reported bugs and issues.

This new version has a completion timer, but in case you're doing speedruns, be aware that it might not be completely accurate.

I might also release the game on itch later.

Thanks again for the feedback !

P#119653 2022-10-27 13:50

this is a masterwork. thank you for making it!

P#138628 2023-12-13 03:06

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-28 08:46:07 | 0.027s | Q:42