A Dream's Command
by

Cart #spirit_solstice-9 | 2022-01-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You can also play it on itch.io here!

CONTROLS
Arrows: Move
X: Toggle Lantern
Z/X: Advance Text

You can also skip dialogue from the pause menu.

ABOUT
It's the Winter Solstice and you've been tasked with inviting the local nature spirits to join the celebration. Use your lantern to navigate three different areas of the forest in this mini seasonal adventure!

This was made over November and December 2021 for the 2021 PICO-8 Advent Calendar. This ended up being my first time really exploring the extended PICO-8 color palette.

This version of the game is expanded from the original one released through the Advent Calendar on December 21, 2021 with a whole third area and some extra bits of polish.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

14 comments

So it turns out that fancy new flail you picked up in this dungeon is mega cursed and now it's trying to kill you. Whoops.

Cart #jusiv_cursedflail-0 | 2021-06-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Controls:

• Walk: Arrows
  • Jump: Z / X / C

This was made in 48 hours for the 2021 GMTK Game Jam. The theme was "Joined Together," so I took inspiration from the trope of cursed weapons being impossible to unequip and ran with it to make a game about trying to dodge a hostile weapon that's tethered to you while tricking it into cooperating so you can progress.

All code, design, and assets are my own work.

You can also download and play this on itch.io!

10 comments

Hey so I just noticed that one of the more recent PICO-8 updates (not sure which) appears to make palettes work inconsistently on text in certain cases.

How to Reproduce:
Play my game Night Fright Flight here on the forums: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=30133.
Try to change the palette through the pause menu, and you'll notice that some of the text (specifically the score and the game over message) doesn't entirely change palette. Most strangely, it applies only partially to outlined text created by calling print repeatedly with different offsets (despite pal() not getting called in the text drawing function at all).
I get the same issue running the game with 0.2.1b on my computer.

Example 1: The partially-purple text outline here should be all green.

[i]Example 2: The orange text with an upper purple shadow here should be white with a red shadow.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

2 comments

Cart #winterwood-2 | 2021-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You can also play it on itch.io here!

CONTROLS
Arrows: Walk
Z/X: Rotate Camera

ABOUT
This is a short but sweet game about trekking through the woods to make a special delivery.

This was made over parts of October and December 2020 for the PICO-8 Advent Calendar 2020. It was a great excuse for me to finally dig into some of the newer PICO-8 features added since my last big project, particularly tline and oval drawing.

Special thanks to thattomhall for playtesting and freds72 for providing me his textured polygon function! (It is used with minor modifications for drawing various elements of the house.)

[ Continue Reading.. ]

20 comments

I decided to make a Tweetcart today and it ended up being a simple little Jack-o-Lantern generator, but I found it entertaining enough to watch that I figured I'd release it here for y'all too!

Cart #jack_o_random-0 | 2020-10-20 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

There's no controls whatsoever, it just periodically generates a new pumpkin. The quality of the expressions varies but overall I'd say they come out remarkably well.

2 comments

Cart #snowman_builder-1 | 2019-12-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

We're decidedly into the snowy part of the year, so here's a little cart to celebrate the winter cheer!
The outside cold you need not fear, for you can decorate a snowman from right here!

CONTROLS
Keyboard (Default)
Arrows: Move
Z: Grab/Place
X: Rotate/Cycle Colors

Mouse (Enabled from pause menu)
Left Click: Grab/Place
Right Click: Rotate/Cycle Colors

OTHER NOTES
Switching Control Modes: The cart will automatically switch to Keyboard or Mouse control when you use an arrow key or click, respectively. You can also switch between control modes from the pause menu. The cart will default to Keyboard control.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

5 comments

A tiny 1-button arcade game written in 560 characters.

Cart #sidewind-0 | 2019-05-14 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(Also playable on itch.io!)

This was made for the second TweetTweetJam, hosted by @eggnog!

Your thread is constantly moving and turning. Press Z to switch which direction you turn in. Avoid obstacles and the encroaching walls as long as you can!

You have to reset the cart to play again.

2 comments

A PICO-8 demake of FEZ.

FUZ
by Jusiv
Cart #fuz_v1-1 | 2019-05-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Cart #fuz_mobile_v1-1 | 2019-05-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You can also find this game on itch.io!

CONTROLS (Original Version)
Left/Right: Walk
Up: Jump
Down: Drop/Interact
Z/X: Rotate the world

CONTROLS (Mobile-Friendly Version)
Left/Right: Walk
Z: Jump
Down: Drop
Up: Interact
Left/Right while holding X: Rotate the world

[ Continue Reading.. ]

107 comments

A tiny anti-stealth puzzle game.

Cart #alarmed-2 | 2019-03-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

GOAL: Have every alarm in the level active at once.
CONTROLS:

• Arrows: Move
  • Z: Wait
  • Reset or Skip Levels from the pause menu (Enter)

This was a tiny puzzle game I made in under 24 hours based on themes from WPI's 2019 Cutthroat Game Jam.
(It wasn't an official submission since it was a competitive jam and I was one of the people running it.)

The main theme was "Reverse," and I also chose the subtheme "Hidden [in Plain Sight]." Based on these, I decided to make an anti-stealth game where you try to trigger all of the alarms.

This is more of a proof-of-concept than a full proper game, and could use some more interesting puzzle design and mechanics, but I did what I could in the time I had.

1 comment

A short story-based game.

Cart #aurora_railway_v2-0 | 2019-07-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I made this over winter break (December 2018 - January 2019) for WPI's Chill Jam. It's mostly dialogue but there are some gameplay bits throughout.

The jam theme was "chill," which inspired the setting and failstate-free gameplay and also plays into one other detail.

Controls:

• Z/X/C: Advance Text and Interact

You can also get this game from itch.io!

And if you want to follow my work, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_!

- - - CHANGELOG - - -
v1.0 - Initial Release (9/01/2019)
[b]v2.0 - Revision

[ Continue Reading.. ]

8 comments

I don't have a problem with there being a running, searchable list of featured carts, as was added in the new BBS update. However, it is problematic that adding that seems to have removed the option to sort through all carts by the number of stars they've been given. It would be appreciated if we got that feature back in addition to the new one.

1 comment

The 2018 P8 Awards are over!

The winners are announced in the cart and listed below.

Cart #jusiv_p8awards_v02-1 | 2019-02-18 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls:

• Left/Right to change award
  • (O) to reveal winners (hold to slowly cycle through carts)
  • Up/Down to change selected cart
  • (X) to load selected cart
  • Hide All in the pause menu to reset the winner reveals

These are an (unofficial) set of awards, similar to the Steam Awards, designed to celebrate PICO-8 carts.
The community nominated carts over the course of December, and voted on them over the course of January.
[b]CLARIFICATION: For this set of awards, any existing cart could be nominated, no matter how old. As no PICO-8 awards events have been done before, it didn't seem fair to exclude any carts on the basis of age.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

34 comments

A turn-less, world-less RPG made in 48 hours.

Cart #jusiv_b2018_v03-0 | 2018-12-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

HOW TO PLAY
Controls:

• Z/X/C: Advance/Select
  • Left/Right: Change Selected Character
  • Up/Down: Change Selected Action

Abilities:
The abilities aren't well explained beyond their names in-game, so here's a reference:

• STRIKE: Deal elemental damage to the opponent.
  • SPECIAL: Each character has a completely different Special ability.
    > Powderhound doubles the foe's remaining cooldown time.
    > Rogue deals high non-elemental damage.
    > Clover heals themselves.
  • BOLSTER: Heal the other two characters.

Attributes:

[ Continue Reading.. ]

4 comments

A simple little arcade game made well within 48 hours.

Cart #56752 | 2018-09-16 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made this for WPI's A-term 2018 game jam. I didn't have a ton of time to spend on it, but this is what I wound up with.

It was based on this poem.exe tweet:
before this autumn wind
flower face
awake

You play as a flower with a face trying to keep its petals from blowing off by leaning into the unpredictably changing wind.

Controls:

• Z/X/C: Start Game / Retry
  • Left/Right: Lean

There's no music but there are sound effects.

And if you want to follow my work, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

2 comments

A "platformer" without platforms, originally made for the 2018 GMTK Game Jam!

Cart #i_just_wanna_land_v3-2 | 2022-07-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

You play as a bird with a baseball cap on a search to find a new floating island after their first one crumbles. Instead of jumping off platforms, you flap your wings in mid air to propel yourself in the direction you're aiming.

There are four levels in total.

Controls:

• Z: Flap
  • Left / Right: Aim

You can also get it on itch.io.
And if you'd like to see more of my work, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

Update Log:

October 2018 - [b]Version 1

[ Continue Reading.. ]

15 comments

Cart #49637 | 2018-02-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

(The Post-Jam version has the score continually decrease, encouraging frequent sniffing! Aside from that it's identical.)

Cart #49613 | 2018-02-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Sniff flowers! Blow bees away! Don't sniff bees!

This is a game I made in 24 hours for WPI's "Take a Breather" Jam. The theme was "A Good Sniff." All assets and code are my own work.

If you're interested in seeing more of my work, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

[ Continue Reading.. ]

9 comments

I've been thinking it would be really cool to have a set of awards that the community can nominate and vote on carts to receive, much like the Steam Awards.

Thus, I present the P8 Awards!

(Use the arrow keys to look at different ones.)

I don't intend these to necessarily be the finalized options, or even to be a thing that we actually do, but I thought I'd at least mock up a "proof of concept" set to see what people think.

For the first set, I think it would make sense to allow any cart to be nominated, but in future ones (if this becomes a thing) it could be restricted to carts from the past year if people want.

So, what do people think of this idea? Feel free to give any suggestions for changes or alternate awards, too!

4 comments

... in a cold, dark forest.

Keep the fire burning, stay warm, and don't get lost.
How long can you survive against the wilds?

Cart #48048 | 2018-01-10 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

ABOUT
I made this over the first week of 2018 for the Winter Break Jam held by Worcester Polytechnic Institute's Game Development Club. The theme for the jam was just the phrase "very warm."

All assets and code are my own work.

And if you want to see more of my stuff, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

CONTROLS

• Z/X/C: Start Game

(Walk into something to interact with it.)

CHANGELOG

• Initial Release - 1/7/2018

[ Continue Reading.. ]

12 comments

CAUTION: Some areas in this game cause a significant flickering effect.

by Jusiv
Cart #47637 | 2017-12-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

ABOUT:
NULL is a surreal adventure game. What you see in the end depends on what you can find on the way.
A 100% playthrough can be completed in 10-15 minutes, if you know where everything is.

This is my third full Pico-8 game (not counting stuff from game jams)! I made it over the course of November and December 2017. All assets and code are my own work.

If you want to see more of my stuff, check out my Twitter: @Jusiv_

CONTROLS:

• Z/X/C: Interact

TIPS:

• There are two types of things to find. Each area has exactly one of each.

[ Continue Reading.. ]

31 comments

The Bug:
I've been noticing lately that the cursor in Pico-8's code editor sometimes will get "stuck." It will suddenly start moving continuously to either the start or end of the current line, and even if I try to move the cursor it will just move itself directly back. Holding down the arrow key opposing the direction it's moving in will make it stay in place, a character away from the start/end of the line. For whatever reason, this never makes the cursor change lines, so it doesn't appear to be something as simple as a single input getting repeated unnecessarily. It also affects the cursor command line.

The Cause:
This bug does not appear to have a consistent cause that I can identify, though I think it most often happens when I'm hitting multiple keys at once.

Solutions:
As far as I'm aware, the only way to restore normal functioning is to closing and re-opening Pico-8.

Have other people have encountered this? Does anyone know of any other solutions to this issue?
(I'm using 0.1.11D, but it happened with earlier versions too.)

2 comments

Top    Load More Posts ->