I'm happy to upload my PICO-8 animations collection "Bizarroïd" in here!

Cart #bizarroid-3 | 2023-07-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

It is a project that I started more than 1 year ago to get better with PICO-8. As someone who struggles with big and complex projects, I thought making a collection would allow me to see the end of a big thing since its easier to make lots of small animations than to make one big game.

Features

• 40 animations, mostly abstract, but a few are figurative.
  • the possibility to randomize the color palette, "to renew your staring experience"

Controls

⬅️➡️ arrows to go through animations
⬆️ arrow to display the settings screen
⬇️ arrow to hide title of current animation

🅾️ button to shuffle the color palette
❎ button to reset the color palette

Conclusion

When I began working on this, I thought I'd continue until I reach the PICO-8 8192 tokens limit. It is now at 8115 tokens and I don't think there are enough to make another animation, so I'm posting it here. After that, I will probably try to make another animation compilation with fewer but better ones.

P#132376 2023-07-25 14:22 ( Edited 2023-07-25 14:33)

All so unique! A very educational way to get used to understanding how Pico8 works.

P#132384 2023-07-25 18:32

Very slick, I especially liked the floating bars and clouds. The former reminds me of Tron, and the latter looks like it would work well for a game with a dynamic day/night cycle. Any of these would make great Tweetcarts.

P#132385 2023-07-25 18:46 ( Edited 2023-07-25 18:47)

Nice work! The clouds are especially fantastic. And yeah - these would all be great tweetcarts

P#132413 2023-07-26 17:25

@JadeLombax @luchak
Thank you!
I will definetly look into converting some of those into tweetcarts!

P#132426 2023-07-26 20:44

These are so good.

P#132506 2023-07-28 19:48

I am especially fond of [04] Northern Lights. [24] Sponges and [34] Clouds are ethereal. I would like to see these in a game someday!

P#132556 2023-07-30 08:41

How does the switching between different animations work?

P#133564 2023-08-26 20:04

@Doriencey
At first I had a terrible elseif stack to check wich animation should be displayed according to the id, but later I realized that it is possible to affect functions to variables.

The way it works in the final version is that there is:
animation: a "function variable" containing the function to call every frame to display the current animation
animations: a table containing the functions to display each demo
animation_id: a variable containing the index of the function that should be running

animation_id = 0

animation = menu

animations = {
menu,wavy_squares,floating_bars,
elevator,northern,wiuwiu,
machine,stack,reflect_stack,
eyes,gears,squares_layers,
sphere,heat_swirl,jellyfish,
totems,larvae,trip,pic,tower,
pendulum,wave,hazard,tentacle,
sponges,twinkle,o_o,
liquid_rainbow,slugs,shuffle,
wind,pine_cone,fibers,magma,
clouds,pulse,vines,reflect,
bricks,spirits}

When left or right is pressed, animation_id is decremented or incremented, and animation is set to animations[animation_id].

I just realized that animation can be removed and that i can call animations[animation_id]() instead.

P#133569 2023-08-26 21:26

I tried it this exact way before, but for some reason I couldn't pull it off without getting errors. I figured I missed something, hence the question.
Turns out my reasoning for how this should work was right all along, except for putting the list of animation functions outside of the _init() function. This caused my version of animations[animtion_id] to return nil and spit out an error. For most variable defenitions this doesn't seem to make a difference, I don't even always use the _init() function. But in this case pico-8 suddenly gets very fussy about where you define your variables.
Thanks for answering my question, it still helped narrowing down why I couldn't get my state machine to work at first.

P#133619 2023-08-27 17:01

If your function table is defined outside of _init() and before the definitions of the functions it contains, it is filled with not yet defined functions (nil) but because _init() only runs when every function in your code has been defined, the problem does not occur. If I understood correctly your situation, writing your function table at the very end of your code should work (of course it makes no sense to have a definition at the end of the code, but it is a good way to get what I just explained).

P#133628 2023-08-27 20:28

[Please log in to post a comment]