I am working on a small 3D modeling tool separate from the main game project.

The created 3D model is written to a sprite, and it is ready to be read.
However, operations and views are very confusing.

No such tool exists on the PICO-8 platform. (Or not seen)
I guess it's probably because there's an alternative and it's easier to produce.

Would you like to take advantage of this tool, even if it is paid?

P#74479 2020-04-05 02:01 ( Edited 2020-04-05 03:27)

Impressive work but generating good 3d content requires much more - something only a dedicated application (ex: Blender) can offer.

Would you like to take advantage of this tool, even if it is paid?
No

P#74483 2020-04-05 06:09

I have to agree with Fred. While you appear to be doing good work here, what you can do will ultimately be very limited by PICO-8's severe token, memory, and cycle constraints. You'd have a very hard time selling this to anyone who has an internet connection with which to download bigger, better free tools that run natively.

P#74488 2020-04-05 18:45 ( Edited 2020-04-05 18:47)

I don't understand the negativity here, it's not like it's meant to be used for the same things as Blender. It's not like you're gonna use this tool and Pico-8 to make assets for something like Unity. It's a tool for simple polygonal 3D models in Pico-8. It'd maybe be more practical to make a tool like this outside of Pico-8, but honestly to me that feels like cheating anyway.

Especially seeing as I still can barely wrap my head around any of the geometry math required to make/use models like these, I'd personally love to have this. Paid is a bit of a hard sell, but so long as it's easy to use and/or well documented, and the price isn't too high, yeah, I'd totally use this.

P#74492 2020-04-05 21:32

It’s not negativity - I’ve done my fair share of 3d games on pico, and yes, Blender is required.
And pico is not meant to be the end of it in term of content creation.
Is using Asesprite or Gimp cheating?

P#74505 2020-04-06 06:00

@freds72 Frankly, I didn't know you could use Blender, so my bad. I haven't tried any of this stuff because it seems like far too much of a hassle. To my knowledge, I thought Blender was only good for standard formats like .Obj and .Dae and such, nothing you could bring into Pico-8. So sorry, I was misunderstanding. Still, I think a tool like this definitely has its audience.

I don't like Gimp personally and I've never bothered with Asesprite, but I use Paint.net personally whenever It'd just be totally a pain to do something in Pico-8, and I do all of my coding in Atom, even. I know full well that you can use other stuff with Pico-8, my point was moreso doing things within Pico-8 feels more legitimate. That's kind of the point, it's a Fantasy console, it's supposed to kinda feel like a C64 or something. "Feels like cheating" was the wrong wording, my bad.

I still think just disregarding shiftalow's work just because blender exists is very harsh. If you want to do things yourself, and use Blender and however exporting data works from it, and write everything yourself, go for it, absolutely.
If you're like me, have no idea how to do all that, don't really care to learn, but would maybe like to put in a fancy 3d thing here and there in your carts, having a premade tool to make the models and a premade function to render them sounds pretty neat.

P#74510 2020-04-06 10:09

Yeah, the tool I'm posting is for making simple 3D polygon models.
(16*16*16-size, and 16-colors)

I wrote that it's a tool like blender, but it requires so many features to be an alternative.
It was an exaggeration to write like that.

And I'm not thinking about selling this tool anymore.
There are parts of it that use other account's code as is. I haven't gotten permission for anything yet.
As I wrote in the beginning, it's not even practical enough.
I've used blender in the past, but I'm not familiar with it, and due to its wealth of features, it required a lot of effort and time to research it to serve its purpose.

In the PICO-8 environment, I created a low polygon tool that I thought was necessary so that people interested in 3D wouldn't get stuck in front of that barrier.

P#74509 2020-04-06 15:19

it seems good to me

P#129618 2023-05-10 21:20

I find this thread interesting to read in the wake of the $4.95 picoCAD (I think picoCAD debuted a year after this?) and its Blender import/export functionality.

P#129623 2023-05-11 01:17

This is a thread that brings back memories.
This project is not currently underway, but we are working on a new data format to make it more user friendly.

P#129652 2023-05-12 02:52

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-18 21:53:08 | 0.015s | Q:24