My entry to Ludum Dare #39 compo! Made in 48hrs from scratch!
As you awake from stasis, you find your ship's autopilot has landed you on a derelict station. No human lifesigns for lightyears, but an automated message was picked up that states there is a stargate several lightyears away to take you to the last bastion of human civilisation - Utopia!
But your ship is low on power and you're hungry and everything's really horrible. Can you scavenge enough supplies to reach the stargate before you die/run out of power/starve? Probably not! But good luck anyway!
It's a basic Roguelike where you have to scavenge derelict stations for supplies and avoid alien creatures. At any time you can enter your ship and take off to the next set of destinations, but this costs power, which must be salvaged from the stations. More distant stations tend to offer bigger rewards, but more risk and more power cost to reach.
- Arrows: Move char, select destination
- Z: Interact (pickup thing, enter ship, confirm destination)
- X: Cancel (close destination screen)
- Blobs and Hackwings will ignore you so long as you stay out their way
- Solar Farms have a tonne of power to loot.
- Find upgrades for your equipment quickly! Military Bases always have Weapons or Armor, but also have short range turret defences on site.
- If you use health kits at full health, you'll increase your max health!
- Don't starve! Habitats often have frequent food, otherwise you'll have to hunt monsters!
- Weapons in order of power are: Fists, Crowbar, PBlade, Pistol, Rifle
- Armor in order of strength are: Suit, Lt. Armor, Med. Armor and Hv. Armor. There's supposedly some rare experimental suit that supposedly regenerates health too!
Utterly delightful. Incredibly impressive for a from-scratch compo entry. Very RNG-sensitive, but such is the way of Roguelikes. My first game ended with a 1-cell-wide corridor to the majority of the level blocked off by a turret I couldn't hurt with a crowbar. In the second game I got a rifle early and wow, that thing is good - it cut a slimy and debris-laden trail through to Utopia with 600+ energy to spare.
Might be nice to show what's on the floor beneath you - until you've played a few times it's a blind guess if armour or weapons are upgrades or downgrades.
Log in to post a comment