This is my first game... in PICO-8.
The game is about Kelin who has a job to deliver a package to her client. However, rain comes and Kelin has to stay in an unused old house because the path to cave is blocked. She is also hungry. Help Kelin find food and something to rid the cave block in the old house with adventure gameplay mechanic!
As mentioned, the gameplay genre is Adventure. Player inspects environment, get items, combine items, use item on something, and win the game.
Feedbacks are welcome!
The hard part when making this game was making content and shrinking the code to fit the tool restriction. Token and character restrictions were easy, but the compressed size restriction was the hardest. I didn't aware of the compressed size restriction which made me accidentally put too many texts. In the end, I managed to fit the size from nearly 20000 bytes into 15360 bytes. For any future PICO-8 game dev who are planning to put a lot of text in the game, pay a lot of attention to compressed size restriction.
v1.2.1 (May 27th, 2017)
- Removed shadow as object on outside house, since it has no interaction at all. Also, to get more free compressed code size.
- Added credit for the person who tested my this game
v1.2 (May 26th, 2017)
- Changed sub-title from "Rainwater" into "Rain"
- Revised credit windows size
- Changed game sub-title
- Repositioned credit text
- Added poke for gpio for external API usage purpose
- Removed texts that won't be used on game
- Revised text on sheet item
- Slight edit on small rain sound
- Some edits to some sprites
- Revised the client's house
- Added shadow on walking Kelin in title screen
- Changed button functions on index.html: sosial page and walktrough (HTML5 release)
- Fixed the bug that made Kelin move while button pressed in certain event, which also made the game not completable
v1.1 (May 8th, 2017)
- Fixed glitch when message doesn't update when pressing left or right in inventory menu
- Updated sound effect and musics
- Update messages to fit compressed code size and situation
- Changed message on washing stuff to be more intuitive
v1 (May 6th, 2017)
- First Release
Over 2 months (around 1 month if not including resting time).
The programming was quicker since I used similar structure from my previous adventures games from other programming language.
However, making the concept and designing took a lot of times, especially since I am planning to make the next installment.
Also, for those who checked my code, very sorry that I had to shorten my code function and variables because I was unaware of the compressed code size limit (:3)_. Also, didn't want to shrink the game content.
Perhaps in the future, I will provide the non-shrunk version (forgot to make non-shorted backup) with different game using the game's code as template.
Finally did an update again for v1.2 version.
Decided to rename the "Rainwater" into "Rain". I prefer the shorter word instead.
For anyone who got stuck, walkthrough is available now: http://neithr.blogspot.co.id/2017/05/walkthrough-kelins-delivery-rain.html
Also, "Kelin's Delivery: Rain" is available now on Kongregate (+API) and Indiexpo (Compatible with Indiepad) which links can be found on the 1st post just under the PICO-8 player.
-- Edit (May 27th, 2017)
Did update again for v1.2.1 version.
-- Edit (June 3rd, 2017)
Added for itch.io site.
Sorry for late reply. Not sure why there was no notification in my email. About lantern, first go into the house (so the wind will not blow the flame). Then melt the leftover candle, using the match. After that, put the candle inside the lantern. Then, you can light the candle using the match.
Thank you very much for enjoying the game!
[Please log in to post a comment]