Log In  

Cart #26425 | 2016-08-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Greetings! I've begun work on a small platforming engine, with a character that bears a striking resemblance to the main character of a famous game franchise.

Update August 3rd, 2016

-Changed sprites, added some flashiness to intro

-Added the ability to shoot. Up to three shots can be on the screen at the same time.

Jumping sound is in!

-Some other tweaks that I can't remember right now

Update July 31st, 2016

-Added intro animation/fanfare (I'll come up with my own music for it later)
Thanks to Tyroney for allowing me to use the code he wrote for that!
-designated channel 1 for sound effects (this is more of a thing for me to remember than actually being coded in)

-Started some background music

Update July 28th, 2016 #1
-Added footsteps and landing sounds
-fixed vertical collision detection

Update July 28th, 2016 #2
-fixed horizontal collision detection (I think)

Update July 31st, 2016

-Added intro animation/fanfare (I'll come up with my own music for it later)
Thanks to Tyroney for allowing me to use the code he wrote for that!
-designated channel 1 for sound effects (this is more of a thing for me to remember than actually being coded in)

-Started some background music

A little bit on the history of this project

This project's name has always been mortide, and its inspiration has always been metroid, but it started out back in 2008, when I was in 9th grade. I had become proficient at TI-BASIC (the built-in programming language on the TI-83/83+/84/etc.), and had recently discovered the existence of precompiled assembly librarys which gave the user/coder much more control over what appeared on the calculator's tiny 96x64 display. After doing a little research, and getting some support from the TI programming community (ticalc.org was a great resource for this), I began making a little platforming game. For those who aren't aware, the TI-83+ has two types of memory, as all processors do, 160kb ROM and 24kb RAM. Programs and other objects in ROM are considered "archived", and will persist if the calculator crashes due to, say, the batteries being pulled out while the calculator is on. Data in RAM persists only if the calculator is shut off properly. Guess what happened about five times during the "development" of that little metroid-style game? I forgot to archive the files, and the batteries died.

I started over every time, because frankly it was quite fun to write programs on this little math machine. Eventually, though, I got too busy to continue.

Fast forward to my senior year of high school. I took a programming class in Java using the Greenfoot IDE/API. I still had all the graphics and sprites that I'd drawn pixel by pixel on my calculator, so I decided to convert them to .png and try making the game again in Java. I got the engine going, I had everything working, and then something in the api changed and my collision detection stopped working in the IDE. So I dropped it after spending weeks trying to figure out where the problem was.

here's a link to that old greenfoot project if you're interested in it. It's more of a tech demo than anything, but the last version I uploaded to the gallery works just fine.

In summary, this here is the third incarnation of this project. Here's hoping I can finish it this time!

P#25884 2016-07-26 01:36 ( Edited 2016-08-04 04:56)

I like the water rippling effect.

P#25886 2016-07-26 02:16 ( Edited 2016-07-26 06:16)

Checkout the fanzines! That's where I learned it.

P#25887 2016-07-26 02:19 ( Edited 2016-07-26 06:19)

I agree the fanzines have a lot of great tutorials. Great start though, I like the level look and the character movement is pretty good.

P#25915 2016-07-26 10:14 ( Edited 2016-07-26 14:14)

Looks awesome, but is this intentional?

P#26000 2016-07-28 02:37 ( Edited 2016-07-28 06:37)

should be fixed in the current build.

P#26003 2016-07-28 04:17 ( Edited 2016-07-28 08:17)
:: Felice

Because I can't help myself when someone talks about anagramming a word, I will never be able to see the function DoTimer() the same way again.

P#26006 2016-07-28 04:51 ( Edited 2016-07-28 08:51)

... and now neither will I...

P#26012 2016-07-28 06:05 ( Edited 2016-07-28 10:05)

The last DoTimer() is in captivity. The source code is at peace.

P#26047 2016-07-28 19:03 ( Edited 2016-07-28 23:03)

I couldn't resist.

P#26057 2016-07-28 22:18 ( Edited 2016-07-29 02:18)

I'm probably going to do something like that when I get further in developing this. Mind if I look at your code?

P#26066 2016-07-29 02:18 ( Edited 2016-07-29 06:18)

Eager anticipation.

Any thoughts on implementing an item randomizer? :)

P#26116 2016-07-29 23:09 ( Edited 2016-07-30 03:09)

It's a nice idea, but I honestly want to go for a linear progression kind of thing, metroidvania style. That's still a way off at this point though. I need to complete the engine before I start designing the world.

P#26123 2016-07-30 06:17 ( Edited 2016-07-30 10:17)

I marked it CC on purpose. (not like one can hide p8 code effectively)

Overview of that intro - Added a function call to _init. In the function, I draw the background, play a sound, and loop while channel_0 is playing. In the loop I increment a timer, and occasionally change an offset, draw the player sprite, and redraw the map. (only needed one map tile, instead I just pasted the map call from _draw.)

P#26132 2016-07-30 10:38 ( Edited 2016-07-30 14:38)

I'm very new to Pico-8 but I can tell that you've put lots of effort into this already, it's looking awesome! I'm loving the music as well, sounds a bit funkier than the original Metroid but still fits the game really well :D Can't wait to see future updates on this.

P#26278 2016-08-01 17:40 ( Edited 2016-08-01 21:40)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:        
Generated 2021-12-06 01:55:58 | 0.015s | Q:37