Follow
c.diffin
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #wormhole_cd-0 | 2024-04-12 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Important:
This game is very fast and contains fullscreen flashing effects. Flashes can be disabled by turning on the "reduce flash" option in the pause menu (-/enter).

The only way out

is through...

Blast your path to freedom and high scores measured in lightyears! Inspired by classic F-Zero games and Pico-8 bangers like BAS.

Features:

• Incredible speed!
  • An evolving wormhole generated by multiple cross-modulating oscillators.
  • Probably more control schemes than are necessary.
  • The most metal soundtrack I could squeeze out of Pico-8. 🀘

Thanks for playing!

I'd love it if you posted your high scores...

P#146473 2024-04-12 18:49 ( Edited 2024-04-12 21:01)

Cart #nono_cdiffin-1 | 2024-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Yes! It’s a nonograms game!

A wholesome and satisfying puzzle game with 16 original 15x15 puzzles to complete!

Features!

• 16 puzzles of (roughly) increasing difficulty.
  • Puzzle progress autosave! Take a break, pick up where you left off.
  • Happy little sounds! (And the option to turn them off if it’s not your vibe.)

Controls

• D-Pad/Arrow Keys: Move cursor
  • πŸ…ΎοΈ/πŸ…°οΈ/C key: Place brick
  • ❎/πŸ…±οΈ/X key: Place cross, clear space

Yes, yes… but what’s a nonogram?

If you’ve ever played a Picross, Pic-a-pix… you know the drill, have fun! If not, here’s the rules:

• Fill the grid with yellow bricks in the right combination to win!
  • The rows and columns have clues; each number is a continuous group of exactly that many bricks on that line.
  • Each group will have at least one space separating them. If there are multiple clues, they will be in the same order on the grid.
  • You can place crosses on the board in spaces you think should be blank.

Credits

• Nonogram puzzle concept: Non Ishida and/or Tetsuya Nishio according to Wikipedia!
  • Everything else… me!
  • Thank you to MarechalBanane for feedback, testing and much needed encouragement!
P#139845 2024-01-08 21:30

Cart #histks_ttl_loops-0 | 2023-09-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi folks!

This is a demo cart to accompany my article from the latest issue of PicoView, an excellent web zine run by @NerdyTeachers! The article series discusses using the looping features of Pico-8's tracker to create long and evolving musical phrases, while using minimal memory resources.

You can find the full article here:

PicoView: September 2023 - Practical Looping

It's a follow up to last month's article, which you can read here:
PicoView: August 2023 - Making Music with Loops

Credit:

This article, and the accompanying demo cart, uses music composed by Gruber for Krystman's "High Stakes". Thank you very much from myself and everyone at PicoView for giving us permission to use your tune!

P#135023 2023-09-28 07:06 ( Edited 2023-10-09 09:53)

Cart #bbb_01_aesc-0 | 2023-04-13 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Spring is here... sheep are still dumb.

Chase sheep into their pen; as many as you can before time runs out! Each sheep successfully herded extends your time. Sadly, the sheep aren't particularly bothered about co-operating. Good luck!

Controls: Move with Arrow Keys

Thanks for playing!

This is my first game, first complete coding project... first post?! Started teaching myself to code at the start of the year, and this is the first result. I haven't really looked at many forums etc (including this one), because I wanted to complete the first project myself before getting input from other people etc. But I do plan to be more active going forward!

My goals for this game were pretty simple:

• A full game with a title screen, an end state and the ability to restart.
  • Animated graphics and a soundtrack (I did both!)
  • Make the sheep feel vaguely realistic.

I really enjoyed using Pico-8 for this project. The limitations of the system inherently let me set limits on scope-creep and made sure I was aiming for something that was actually possible for me to complete. I figured that finishing projects is pretty important to learning coding- this seems to be advice that I've seen in a few different places and not necessarily just in this field. Note that making the game fun wasn't specifically within my scope! ;P I've been a lot more focused on making sure the functionality is there... imo the result is more "funny" than "fun". Game design is hard!

I'd really love to hear any feedback you folks have for this project, especially around the code if anyone has the time and patience to have a look through. However, bear in mind I'm pretty done with this game now so will be incorporating that feedback into whatever I'm working on next. If you find any bugs, I'll be much more likely to try to fix them though!

Cheers,
Chris.

P#128516 2023-04-13 23:16