Follow
SquishyChs
[ :: Read More :: ]

I'm just curious how you might save data easily that would otherwise be a bit much for the usual 64 number limit of dset/dget. I am trying to store high scores and have tried a lot of things and just ended up confused, the data format is something like:

AAA - time (minutes:seconds) - clicks
(1 byte per letter) - (1 for m, 1 for s) - 1 for clicks <---when I tried poke this is how I approached it

I wish to store different scores for each difficulty so people can compete at different levels and probably about 10 scores per difficulty (though I don't mind going lower if I have to). I tried dset and dget but it didn't provide enough spaces for data, and so I was looking at peek and poke, I should be able to store it no problem then but then how do I make the data persistent? even though I saved to the persistent data area in memory, it is empty when I reload the game, do I need cstore? and if so, I read that that doesn't work with browser played games so it isn't really going to work for me either right?

I also messed with the idea of using shifting bits to concatenate these values to store them into dset and dget but that had varying degrees of success, worked slightly but then would stop randomly so maybe I was using the wrong shifting, I think I tried shl() (I know there's a newer version though, <<< right?)

another thing I messed with for a while was generating a text file of high scores but then when I export as html, where would I need to put the blank text file? pretty sure I would need a blank file there by default otherwise using #include will cause an error...

as you can see there's a huge web of trains of thought here and I keep coming up blank with them because I feel I'm misunderstanding something small that ties it all together haha, I just want high scores that can run through itch.io

Hopefully you kept up with all this, if you understand this stuff and are happy to help but need more info about anything, please let me know and I can provide details :)

P#92699 2021-05-27 21:33 ( Edited 2021-05-28 10:06)

[ :: Read More :: ]

Is there any way of editing the spritesheet at runtime so that I can use the spritesheet as the save location for a game?

The game consists of a 32x32 grid but each grid can have many states so figured I could store that as binary, but that doesn't really work well with the cart data limitations. So I figured if I can store the information to the spritesheet, I'm just utilising the memory available there but I cant seem to find much documentation on the matter. I know there is sget/sset but when I used that the screen had alternating colour lines appear... (I think I was putting it on the lower half of the spritesheet if that might be part of the issue?)

Maybe a text file would be better?

P#91835 2021-05-12 10:23