Follow
greay
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #mutopiya-0 | 2021-02-26 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

It's my first roguelike dungeon crawl,

µtopiya

Loosely inspired by grim survival games like Pathogic (Мор. Утопия) or Diary of a Spaceport Janitor, the focus is on scrounging for supplies & managing hunger, thirst, exhaustion, and infection.

Controls:

mostly pretty straightforward.
🅾️ to pick up / interact / confirm (in inventory, hold to drop)
❎ to cancel / bring up inventory

Credits:

it's all by me
but
the clock uses code cribbed from 1sergey's clock cart
the dungeon generation is based on johanp's dungeon generator
dialogue function from profpatonildo's simple textbox example
a* pathfinding based on dooart's example
sprites based on Oryx's lofi fantasy sprites and...?

It's been a lot of fun figuring out how to cram all this into a cart ... I've really pushed against the token limit on this one. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on it. What works? what doesn't?

P#88176 2021-02-26 00:40 ( Edited 2021-02-26 00:42)

I'm working on a sort of roguelike, so using procgen, and I've hit a wall where the game crashes with an "out of memory" error.

Now, since this is still all a WIP I haven't been super careful about memory usage, so it's certainly possible... but when I print the result of stat(0) to the screen, the highest it ever goes is 200 before the crash. Thinking there might be some sort of recursion issue, I logged a couple trace() statements and that turned up a dead end...

Since I don't get a stack trace at the crash, and I have nothing else to go on... My question is: how do I go about troubleshooting this & how do I find the source of the problem? I'm not quite ready to share the cart yet, so I'm less looking for a specific solution and more general guidelines. What should I look for, and where?

P#87561 2021-02-12 23:20

DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE

Hi! I present my first PICO-8 project. It's called CGA, and is an adaptation of John Langan's short story, Technicolor.

The limitation of 4 colors on screen at a time, but the freedom to change palettes immediately implanted the idea of using this story, for reasons that become apparent as the story goes on. It's really more of a visual novel in the most limiting sense, rather than a game per se. But I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, as a way of getting my feet wet with PICO-8 development.

I have to add an extra special thanks to @dddaaannn for his text compression tool – un-abridged, I think the story would have been too long to fit on the cart without any code. I was able to use his tool to eke out the last bit of space necessary to make a cart. @Oli414's dialogue text box and @johanp's lowercase font was essential in making the long text easier to read.

P#68694 2019-10-11 22:26 ( Edited 2019-10-14 11:13)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-03-29 07:30:46 | 0.080s | Q:15