Follow
Redbeer
[ :: Read More :: ]

Maybe this is an odd question, and I'm sorry if it's in the wrong section, but it seemed the most appropriate.

My grandson just turned 5 and I'm looking to expose him to Pico 8.
With that said, one of the strengths of Pico 8 is also a weakness, in that there are SO MANY GAMES.
Does anyone have any recommendations for relatively simple games he could play?
He's pretty clever, but only reads "a little" so games with lots of text or rules to read are out.
He plays Minecraft and Roblox, so his skills at maneuvering with touch controls on a tablet are quite good,
and likely using a keyboard and/or NES style controller isn't much of a stretch.
He's been playing those for almost 2 years now.
He can probably handle simple arcade style games, but I'd prefer not to do "clones" unless the art style/theme diverges significantly from the original, so for instance a maze game would be fine, but I'd prefer not a straight up pac man clone.
Simple platformers are probably a good choice, but something that's a deep metroidvania might be too much right now.
Puzzle games with easy to understand rules are probably good, like Tetris, but the same clone rules apply.
Also, if anyone has experience with their own young kids and Pico 8 games, please advise.
I'm looking to assemble a list of "around" 10 games.

Any thoughts and anecdotes are greatly appreciated. :D
I'm seeing him again this weekend so I'd like some recommendations before then.
In the mean time I'll be going through the games myself and will post what I pick and potentially how
he does with them in a follow up.

P#130667 2023-06-08 13:34

[ :: Read More :: ]

I've been messing/hobbying around with Pico 8 for about a year now. I love the limitations, and the old school coding feel. I grew up using the TRS-80 and the Apple II computers, and those are the feelings I get when using the software. With that said, it has always been a bit disappointing to me that I can't get a full screen 16:9 aspect ratio that's "pixel perfect" in Pico-8, and 4:3 and 5:4 aspect ratios are in short supply. I even started a little project (unfinished) to try and integrate Pico 8 with another program using the GPIO interface to run something side by side like a HUD of sorts with the unused space, and repurposed an old 1366 x 768 TV to allow me to get the 128x128 screen to pixel perfect full screen with the 768 height at 6x scaling, or width with the TV vertical, and leaving 598 pixels to the side, top, or bottom of the Pico 8 window for my "hud" of sorts. That said, two ideas came to me that might be something I'd like to see implemented, or get feedback on whether one of both them can be "done already" with some trickery that is at this point not obvious to me.

So...here's the idea. I don't mind the low rez, I iike it, and while I'm excited to see the next Zep project that changes the aspect ratio, it also "ups" the resolution and resources to do so pretty significantly. What if there was a way/is there a way to "crop" the vertical resolution of Pico 8 via a camera and the window scaling to 72 pixels vertical by 128 horizontal? This would scale with all 16:9 monitors at 16x, 20x, and 30x scaling for 1080p 1440p and 4k (2160p) resolutions. Obviously this wouldn't increase the resource footprint of pico 8 and would still be compatible with 8x8 tiles but at 9 vertical and 16 horizontal? Can something like that be done or if not implemented?

The second idea relates to the first, what if we could use the "cropped pixels" at the bottom or top of the pico 8 window, now at 72 pixels vertical, to extend the horizontal render size? That way we could make a game that is, for instance, 72 pixels tall and 168 wide to support 21:9 aspect ratio (or potentially other resolutions)? 72 x 168 (12,098 pixels on screen) which is still less than the 128x128 (16,384 pixels on screen) we have now. I realize that is a change to the rendering significantly as if it's rendering in lines from top to bottom there is some work to be done to shift the vertically rendered pixels on the bottom or top of the cropped image to the right or left, but again, it wouldn't really change the basic "footprint" of pico 8 while accommodating different aspect ratios (which I know I would like, and seemingly quite a few others would as well).

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts, insights, and feedback on my hair brained idea. :D

P#118717 2022-10-07 13:53 ( Edited 2022-10-07 14:44)