Follow
daggermoor
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #43804 | 2017-08-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made this for my college art museum; they were looking for writers but I'm not really, so I said I would make a video game "poem" of sorts instead, and they indulged me :)

It was in response to an exhibit that included some "lost works" — pieces that are listed as being in the museum's collection, but cannot be located; instead we just had the label information of the missing work of art.

This game is inspired by that label information; I knew nothing about the painting other than what is there on the title page.

It's not much of a game; not much to do but walk and read. Thank you for your indulgence and time, if anyone plays it! It's short, maybe 5 or 6 minutes long.

Many thanks to oli414 for his dialogue text box lib which i keep using.

And to Robby Duguay for the song "Melancholy" from his "9 Songs in Pico-8".

And morgan3d for introducing me to PICO-8, and zep for making it (also I think I have bits of code in this from both of you.)

Changelog:

1.02 yeah I f**ked up on 1.01 it's all better now :S
1.01 Adjusted "GAME OVER" sequence at very end
1.0 Original release

Cart #43763 | 2017-08-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#43764 2017-08-30 15:17 ( Edited 2017-08-31 16:34)

[ :: Read More :: ]

Hello,

Apologies, I am very new to this.

I'm making an old-school dungeon crawler, and I want to store info for each floor of the dungeon in a table, including intro text, player starting x,y coordinates and facing direction, etc. Then I would initialize each new floor with a start_floor(n) function where n = floor level.

So I have something like this:

floor1 = {
  text = "you descend the stairs."
  spawn = {x = 8, y = 6, dir = 1}
}

function start_floor(n)
  local fl = "floor"..n
  pl.x, pl.y, pl.dir = fl.spawn.x, fl.spawn.y, fl.spawn.dir
end

But it just doesn't like using the concatenated local "fl" -- if I switch that from "floor"..n to the correct fixed value (floor1) then it pulls everything from the table, no problem. But when it has to concatenate the floor number n, it the runtime error, "attempt to index local 'fl' (a string value)"

What am I missing, or misunderstanding? Any suggestions wold be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
daggermoor

P#42510 2017-07-15 11:59 ( Edited 2017-07-16 04:32)

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 00:35:59 | 0.068s | Q:13