Cart #picobrowser-16 | 2023-11-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

READ THIS FIRST

Click the cartridge icon at the bottom of the cart and right click on the image to save it, then just plop it in your /carts/ folder. To use it in desktop pico-8, just put it in your carts folder. For use in pico-8-edu, go to immediate mode (the terminal) and type load #picobrowser, then type save [NAME].p8 where name is whatever you want. then, in pico-8 or edu, just type load name.p8, again where [name] is what you named the file.

more info:

This cart was made using @dw817 's "free roaming directory" cart. Their version, however could only see in /carts/ and couldn't load anything.

Features:

. Displays a real visualization of all your files in your carts folder.
. Lets you go in and out of folders in /carts/
. Lets you load .p8 and .p8.png files.
. Lets you load BBS carts ( more on that below :) )
. Lets you return to the browser within loaded cart using a breadcrumb system
. Can load any .p8 or .p8.png file you throw at it (if you don't mess with the file extension)
. Has the best sound effects in the entire world (big claim, I know)
. Scroll bar so you don't get lost
. Only has 1 unfixable bug! ( integer limit :p )

Changelog:

v3.0

Fixed : Runtime error and crash when no files are found
Fixed : Able to open empty space
Fixed : No files found message not appearing when no files are found
Added : This changelog
Changed : Some sprites
Changed : Made it so going back a dir goes back one directory instead of going to /carts/

v3.1

Fixed : Runtime error when loaded off bbs and/or no files are found in root dir

v3.2

Fixed : Runtime error when loaded off bbs and/or no files are found in root dir

v3.3

Changed : Error text now makes more sense and tells user what to do if no files are found.

v3.31

Fixed : Actually closed error if/then statement. how did i miss that
Changed : Put changelogs in spoiler buttons to avoid clutter

v3.32

Fixed : Actually finally fixed error message (howintheworlddidiforgetasingleENDandSTOPwhatiswrongwithmeeeee)

v3.33

Added : Actually added the new sprites i said i added 6 changelogs ago (i am a mess)

v3.4

Added : Can now skip to 1st and Last file in current dir by pressing ⬅️ or ➡️.

v4.0

Added : Revamped controls using mouse. works just how you'd expect it to. Double click to open, scroll to scroll, ect.
Added : Mouse sprites
Changed : Some comments
Changed : Old btn inputs now skip files instead of scrolling.

v5.0

Added : Can load any bbs cart through input instead of file
Removed : Stupid .pbbs system
Changed : BTN() function

Todo:

Make scrollbar take up whole screen height and position in bar match position in current dir instead of having scrollbar be as long as current dir.
Fix scrollbar being able to go off screen
Fix lag
Make code readable

Tell me if you have any suggestions!

Important:

This cart can load BBS carts from your carts folder! Simply press 🅾️ and enter your cartridge's bbs ID, Without the hashtag/pound symbol (#).

the only bug I cant fix right now is integer limits. if you have more then 30k+ files then... well you need to figure something out man, and also the cart will break. if you have a really long folder path that's more then the string limit deep, then you wont be able to go any deeper. so basically: don't have too many files and don't have too many subdirectories.

Thanks to @dw817 for the original cart.

IMPORTANT 2: I just realized that a folder in the cart preview is named "joke". That does not mean this cart is a joke. I just needed to make folders for the cart label and just wrote the first 3 things that I thought of.

final notes:

I had a lot of fun making this! its the best that it could be as of posting this, and i really like how it came out. i did end up adding some useless features that really pull everything together and im proud of that. my vision with this cart is that maybe someday it will be the go-to way to browse files from within pico-8's os. no more annoying ls and cd commands and finally a nice p8 style UI. maybe one day it will be a built-in pico-8 feature. ( @zep :O ) in all, this was my favorite cart to make so far and i hope you all enjoy it as much as i enjoyed making it.

Final notes 2 (I am an idiot)

I didnt know splore had a file browser in it, so i guess this software is completely redundant on desktop pico-8, but it is still useful on devices that dont have splore! (like edu!)

Thanks for taking the time to read my documentary on my silly file browser!

ALSO, As of v4.0, with the addition of mouse control, maybe it is better? let me know if you think so!

P#129807 2023-05-16 15:32 ( Edited 2024-02-07 17:18)

NOT WORKING

P#129863 2023-05-18 00:01

Downloaded it and gave it a quick try - seems to work pretty okay! The scrolling sound effects are fun.

P#129866 2023-05-18 03:17

@malik13224 you have to download the cart. actually read the post before commenting.

P#129879 2023-05-18 13:52

It's nice.

P#129966 2023-05-20 17:26

glad you liked it, @Leandro !

P#129981 2023-05-21 04:43

how did you get it to consitiently say "back to browser" in the menu when i load a cart???

P#131161 2023-06-20 08:11

@tetrismino thanks for commenting! when you use load() you can specify a ton of different things, like what cart you are loading, some device statistics, and a "breadcrumb". "back to browser" in the menu is a breadcrumb
and how i got back to menu to work is i put a breadcrumb in the load function so that whenever you select it in the menu it brings you back to the browser.

here is the load function: load("/"..dirt.."/"..fil[p+e],"back to browser")

what this does is
load /dirt/ + filename (selected file)
for example if you select "amongus.p8"
in /carts/test/, it will do
load(/test/amongus.p8/
fil[P+E] returns filename. at the end you can see "back to browser" that sets the breadcrumb so you can
return to browser :)

P#131281 2023-06-23 23:04 ( Edited 2023-11-12 21:03)

[Please log in to post a comment]

Follow Lexaloffle:          
Generated 2024-04-19 11:23:13 | 0.093s | Q:28