Another season, another terrain generator.
Below is an old version of the pipeline that was used for the generator. This has since been reworked a bit to add features.
- Generate every possible syllable through structure "CV(n)" (Consonant, vowel, and an optional "n")
Pregenerate name with 2-5 syllables
- Create n points and n/16 biome centres
- Generate basic (polygonal) shape using voronoi
Apply "life" n/6.4 generations
- Add name on screen
Tada! You've got yourself a basic map. You can also disable the "terrain" boolean to make it just generate a voronoi diagram, but that's boring and I don't need it so I leave "terrain" as True in the above cart. Feel free to play around though.
Here are some examples of pretty islands:
Have fun generating endless islands with silly names. Later!
P.S. v1.2.1 has introduced "Manual Mode". At any time in the generation process, you can press Z. When generation is over, you should see that the name of the landmass and the names of the nations don't show up. This is so that you can hide either. If you want the name of the landmass to show up, press Z during Manual Mode. Do the same for nations but with X instead of Z. This should let you have more versatility with my little toy.
Notes for modders:
- The "quality" variable is what defines A) The amount of points for veronoi rendering B) The amount of biome centres and C) The amount of generations to run my little life thing(n, n/16 and n/6.4 respectively)
- The syllable generator generates every single syllable in the given CV(n) structure. The code for this is very simple:
for c in all(consonants) do for v in all(vowels) do add(syllables,c..v) add(syllables,c..v..'n') end end
- The voronoi calculations can certainly be improved; I just don't know how. I'm not a pro at optimization or math.
- The "biomes" are just sets of colours. There is no limit to the amount of colours each biome can have(I wanted as free of an environment as possible)
- Do not uncomment "music()". It's for your own good.
- The "colex" table simply excludes colours from being switched to their secondary palette alternatives. This is simply to make it look nice.
Have fun doing deranged things to the island generator. I hope that was a comprehensive list of notes.
You look for concepts, but find none. However, you get the feeling some will appear soon.
- V1.0.X: Initial Version
- v1.1.X: Biome Update
- v1.2.X: Nation Update
[Please log in to post a comment]