Update V1.2 - End Screen was still skipable with the (X) key, which lead to it being skipped and the end score being lost.
Update V1.1 - Fixed the ending sequence so that its actually happening now! Thank for the feedback!
Hello Pico8 Friends!
This is the first ever game I've released, an im quite proud of it.
The code is pretty messy and uncommented, so sorry for that(I'm on a tight schedule!)!
I hope you enjoy my little game, and don't forget to share your highscore!
Good work on your first release -- it's fun!
Here's my feedback:
- I like the player ship design a lot
- The sfx are good - the tones you made feel like a rhythm once you get a lot of things happening at once. It could still use proper music, though.
- I got a score of 4270.. And around then new enemies stopped spawning. You may want to add a 'level over' state (or maybe you already have that and I just didn't trigger it somehow?)
- The red enemy bullets.. I feel like those should be flashing or something so they are easier to see? But honestly even with all of the other particles on screen I never had much of a problem. The big life bar helps with that too.
Thanks for the feedback enargy!
I wasnt able to get a soundtrack in because im terrible with the tracker and still haven't fully understood how it actually works!
The bug with the ending is fixed now!
I had a flashing bullet in earlier stages of developement, and it kind of didnt really work out. It made it hard to spot and focus on it!
Again thank you so much :)
You should be more explicit about how you handle repeat fire, though.
Right now, at least in the web player, I can either hold the fire key down and get a fresh shot every time key repeat kicks in, or I can hammer the key myself and get a constant cascade of shots.
That being said, moving up or down interrupts the key repeat, which is a bit of a problem.
A game like this would typically consider these options:
- disallow btnp()-based keyrepeat and force manual repeating
- use a custom btn()-based auto-repeat method
- possibly repeat with unlimited shots on screen
- possibly repeat with limited number of shots
- possibly limit the frequency of shots - introduces questions like, "if they hit the key again too soon, do I queue the next shot or ignore the key?"
The problem, I think, is that (at least in the web player) pico-8 pulses btnp() for keyrepeat events, which I personally think it shouldn't (or there should be an API setting for it). So you'd want to do your own debouncing and only read btn(), which I'm pretty sure doesn't pulse off/on for key repeats.
By the way, a quick tip I give to a lot of people: You don't need to compare booleans to true or false.
if scoreprnt==true then
Can just be:
if scoreprnt then
Can save a few tokens here and there, if you need 'em.
Same for checking for nil and non-nil, by the way.
The only time you really need to check specifically for nil or true/false is when you have a boolean value that may not yet exist, e.g.:
if invert_y==nil then invert_y=ask("Invert Y axis?") end
[Please log in to post a comment]