Cart #pigments-0 | 2020-11-19 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is my entry for discroomjam.
I'm very late, because I had itchio jam page and forgot about the lexaloffle bbs post !
But here's pigments !

--- GOAL ---
Get pigment droplets
Dodge the deadly razor discs
Paint all tiles

--- UNLOCK ---
The game save your highscore for each fruits
Your metascore is the addition of all your highscores
Unlock new fruits by reaching specific metascores

--- SPECIAL TILES ---
Grass : discs can' enter grass
Water : hide fruit from discs but consume pigments
Trigger : all discs dash in your direction

--- FORMAT ---
if you want to start again, you can format your savecard using SHIFT+F

This is a great, addictive game. I was going to write a review sooner but kept saying 'one more go'.

There is an in-depth strategy akin to the likes of Pacman to be found by working your route around the tiles, and knowing when to cut your losses and sacrifice precious droplets by jumping into the water to avoid the razor discs (in watermelon mode), or to risk soldiering on as you know that once you grab more droplets, you get an additional razor disc on the play field.

My highest score so far is about 75%, after that I find it becomes a little too hard and the playfield is usually manic by this point. It would be nice to have an easier option to ease into the game like the discs spawning ever 2 droplets grabbed, but honestly, that's the only criticism I have - other than that it plays like an extremely addictive arcade game.

I did find one bug. The discs are drawn under the water melon when it's in the water.

ah! this is excellent! perfect visuals and gameplay (as usual...) 😍

Great game! I can't believe I was stressed as a melon, plunged into the water, when a blade passed over me.

Moreover, the sound, which increases and then decreases with the approach and the distancing of the blade, is excellent.

Great game! Got 100% with apple and around 50% with the others :)

Not gonna lie, I had to lean forward on my chair
for this one.

Very well executed! I really like the "bullet-time" effect, giving enough time to form a plan while still remaining hectic.

I also really liked the variety of levels, shame there isn't more fruit! ;) Great sounds, visual effects, and presentation.

Great game! Highest score: 81% with the apple

Also, sometimes my data gets deleted but it’s okay

metascore 366 with apple at 100 and all of the others above 50. really awesome.

@bor3dbruh I gotta agree with you there I really leaned forward on this one

Love the blend of real time and turn based strategy in this - creates a great balance you have to plan your moves but with the clock ticking! Has anyone managed to 100% any but apple?

@Jaekwondo I've beaten watermelon, once. Also, I recently got this game added to speedrun.com:
https://www.speedrun.com/pigments/

So if anyone can beat the last four levels, please record it all and submit it there! 'Cause I wanna see it happen. (Please note there's an "Unlock Kiwi" category for those looking for a more accessible run.)

Very addictive, in the good way. The variation in strategy and risk vs. reward for each fruit is a really great player incentive and kept me chasing squares for a good while. Glad to play it.

Love it :) It's like Q*Bert crossed with Snake - great stuff

And now Kiwi!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l89-WMfcYBY

Don't know that I'll be able to beat Banana or Coconut, though—all those discs ricocheting are really tough to anticipate. My best scores in those are 72 & 78 so far...

I've written up a guide to the levels I've beaten so far (all but Banana), and it includes slower but more reliable strategies for Apple & Watermelon with video demonstration.

Please let me know if this is helpful/needs adjusting. The Orange & Kiwi sections feel kind of lacking...

Edit: I've finally managed to beat every level (individually, not all at once):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVSx9HYHHwUqY5-7yN-nbN6iRHJpsblZP

Now I'll be pursuing that mythical metascore of 600

SuperHot, but you're a fruit

I'm not sure why Benjamin Soule hasn't posted here lately, but the group he collaborates with, PUNKCAKE, released an expanded PC version of Pigments in September. You can check it out here. They've included downloads for the pico-8 Pigments, too.

Great game, but either I suck or it's impossible!

Great Game

Something so relaxing and zen about the gameplay. 2020? Where have u gone? We need more games from u please! Very prolific pico8 dev!

[Please log in to post a comment]